The Exchange Server 2010 Software from Microsoft is a powerful e-mail server application that is compatible with the Windows Server 2008 x64 and R2 operating systems. It allows users in your organization to use Exchange-capable clients, including Microsoft Outlook, for e-mail communication. Using Exchange for corporate communications can lower messaging costs by 50 to 80% and can increase the productivity of your workers.
- Lower IT Costs with a Flexible and Reliable Platform
Pressure to optimize your IT infrastructure for ever-changing business conditions requires you to be agile, so investing in solutions that provide reliability and choice is critical. Exchange Server 2010 gives you the flexibility to tailor your deployment to your unique needs and provides a simplified way to help keep e-mail continuously available for your users.
This flexibility and simplified availability comes from innovations to the core platform that Exchange is built on. These innovations deliver numerous advances in performance, scalability, and reliability advancements, while lowering the total cost of ownership 50-80%.
A new, unified approach to high availability and disaster recovery helps achieve new levels of reliability as it reduces the complexity and cost of delivering business continuity up to 80%. With new features, such as Database Availability Groups and online mailbox moves, you can more easily and confidently implement mailbox resiliency with database-level replication and failover, all with familiar Exchange management tools.
- Greater choice of storage hardware options, allows you to tailor your Exchange infrastructure to your organization's specific business or technology needs while lowering the overall storage costs 50-70%. Storage options range from support for traditional Storage Area Networks (SAN) to low-cost, desktop class Direct Attached Storage (DAS). Larger mailbox size ensures that employees can access the information they need to do their jobs in a quick and efficient manner, without spending time deleting messages and managing their inbox to stay under the imposed limit.
- Administrative advances in Exchange 2010 can help you save time and lower operational costs 15-20% by reducing the burden on your IT staff. A new role-based security model, self-service capabilities, and the Web-based Exchange Control Panel, allow you to delegate common or specialized tasks to your users without providing them full administrative rights or increasing help desk call volume.
- Delight Users with Anywhere Access to Communications
Your business success relies on technology solutions that make your users more productive. With Exchange Server 2010 you can cost effectively provide your users the freedom to securely access all of their communications -- e-mail , voice mail, instant messaging, and more -- from virtually any platform, Web-browser, or device to get more done wherever they are.
Your users live their business lives in their inboxes, but the ever-growing flow of information through those inboxes affects productivity and profitability.
With Exchange Server 2010 enhancements, your users can increase their productivity and more easily collaborate with each other and their business partners with these advanced features:
- Time-saving inbox management tools that help your users more easily organize and prioritize the communications they receive each day. Exchange 2010 includes an enhanced conversation view that automatically arranges messages into threads, regardless of their location in the inbox, and MailTips that inform users about details that could result in unnecessary or undeliverable e-mail messages, before they click send. New integrated support for instant messaging (powered by Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 R2) and SMS text messaging in Outlook Web App means your users can have a range of communication tools at their disposal, anywhere they can log into the Web client.
- A transformed voicemail experience with Exchange-powered voice mail enhancements like speech-to-text previews of received voice messages, and the flexibility for your users to create customized voice mail menus and call handling rules to ensure callers are given the right priority. Replace your legacy systems with the enhanced capabilities of Exchange voice mail and reduce your voice mail costs by 50%.
- The best three-screen user experience available through Outlook on the desktop, Outlook Web App in the Web browser, and Exchange ActiveSync, the de facto industry standard for mobile devices. With the built in capabilities of Exchange Active Synch, you can reduce costs for secure mobile messaging while supporting users on virtually any smart phone, including iPhones, Windows Mobile or Blackberry.
- Manage Risk with Protection and Compliance Capabilities
A growing number of applications and devices access your e-mail infrastructure, so it is more important than ever that you consider the protection of your mission critical e-mail data when you choose an e-mail solution. Your organization has many reasons to protect and archive e-mail, from regulatory concerns to internal organizational governance. Exchange 2010 delivers integrated information protection, control, and compliance tools focused on helping you simplify and automate this process:
- New integrated, out-of-the-box e-mail archiving gives you tools to preserve e-mail data without changing the experience for your users or IT staff. Combined with the flexibility provided by the Exchange storage architecture, you can take control of your corporate e-mail data with a personal archive that seamlessly surfaces in both Outlook and Outlook Web App.
- A new retention policy framework allows your IT staff to define, deploy, and automate the expiry and archiving of e-mail data. In addition to default policies set by your IT staff, your users can select and apply retention policies to individual messages or folders. And Exchange 2010 adds a new legal hold policy that retains and places on hold any edits or deletions of e-mail data that users make. A simplified e-Discovery process with a new Web-based multi-mailbox search feature. This easy-to-use capability can be delegated to specialist users, like a compliance officer, without providing the users full administrative privileges.
- New Transport Protection Rules help you safeguard sensitive business information. You can automatically apply Information Rights Management (IRM) policies to both e-mail and voice mail messages, after they have been sent, based on a range of message content criteria.
- Optimized for Software-Plus-Services
- Having been designed, developed, and tested with the Microsoft Software-plus-Services strategy at its core, Exchange 2010 offers you flexible deployment options. You can choose from on-premises deployment with Exchange 2010, a hosted service with Exchange Online or from one of many service provider partners, or a seamless mix of both. Microsoft is committed to the Software-plus-Services strategy, empowering you to choose when and how you take advantage of on-premises, hosted, cloud-based, and hybrid solutions without interrupting or changing the experience for your users.
New in 2010
- For Business
- New integrated archiving and discovery capabilities.
- New unified mailbox resilience model that provides high availability, disaster recovery, and back up capabilities.
- Ability to easily delegate administration to specialized users, such the help desk or a compliance officer.
- Comprehensive information protection capabilities-from e-mail moderation to automatic e-mail encryption.
- The choice to run Exchange on-premises, as a service hosted by Microsoft or as a hybrid of both.
- For End Users
- A consistent inbox, calendaring, and contacts experience across the PC, browser and phone.
- Integrated conversation view bringing together information across all folders, inbox and sent and deleted items.
- Ability to remove (or "mute") themselves from irrelevant conversations with the click of a button.
- Text preview of voice mail messages in the inbox.
- New Call Answering Rules to easily create customized voice mail rules, such as call transfer options.
- Mail Tips to notify users about potential mistakes before they send e-mail.