The Panasonic AJ-HPD2500 Memory Card Recorder/Player is a multi-format recording and playback system designed for facilitating P2 and file-based workflows. With its ability to record in AVC-Intra 100/50, DVCPRO HD, and DVCPRO 50/DV, the AJ-HPD2500 offers support for the most common 1080, 720, and SD frame rates, including 1080/24PsF. Its AVC-Intra codec records high-quality 10-bit 4:2:2 video and 24-bit digital audio, which is captured to any of the unit's six P2 card slots and can be output via HD-SDI. Or, using the optional AJ-YCX250G card, footage can be transcoded to AVCHD for playback, distribution or storage on more affordable memory cards.
The unit's 4.3" LCD display and comprehensive editing control panel combine with a range of digital and analog connections and a 4RU size to make it fit easily into existing post-production infrastructures, such as mobile truck, broadcast studio, and production facilities. Along with HD/SD-SDI, composite, and XLR audio input/output, connections include eSATA, USB, and Gig-bit Ethernet--giving the AJ-HPD2500 the ability to bridge file-based systems with baseband video workflows, while at the same time permitting high-speed playing and copying of full-frame-rate content. This sophisticated device is the perfect solid-state solution for such applications as line/studio recording, editing, synchronizing dailies, or transmitting and archiving.
- AVC-Intra Codec
- The AVC-Intra codec complies with the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 international standard based on advanced image compression technology, and offers both superb image quality and highly efficient compression. It uses an intra-frame compression system to bring important advantages to professional editing. The AJ-HPD2500 can record in AVC-Intra 100 for maximum picture quality or in AVC-Intra 50, which adopts a lower bit rate, for versatile operation. It also supports DVCPRO HD codec.
- The AJ-HPD2500 can convert up or down between HD and SD or cross-convert between 720p and 1080i during playback. It can also up-convert SD input for recording in HD, and it features an aspect conversion function.
- 24PsF Compatible, HD/SD Multi-Format
- Supporting a wide range of HD formats, such as 1080p, 1080i and 720p, the AJ-HPD2500 can be switched between 59.94Hz and 50Hz to adapt to the world's HD broadcasting formats. The AJ-HPD2500 supports 1080/24p (30p/25p) native recording and playback with the AVC-Intra codec. In HD-SDI mode, it supports 1080/24PsF input/output for use in high-end movie production. It also supports SD, and multi-codec recording (DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO, DV) is possible in both NTSC (480i) and PAL (576i).
- VariCam Speed Effects
- The AJ-HPD2500 can extract active frames from VFR (variable frame rate) signals output by a VariCam and record them in 720/24p (30p/25p). The AJ-HPD2500 can also provide VariCam-like 60p pull-down output (50p from 25p) by playing back a video clip in a P2 card recorded in native 720/24p (30p/25p) by the AJ-HPX2700, the AG-HPX500 Series, the AG-HPX 300 Series, the AG-HPX170 Series or the AG-HVX200A Series P2HD camcorders.
- 16 Bit/48 kHz/8 Channel, High-Quality Digital Audio
- The AJ-HPD2500 can record and play back high-quality, 16-bit/48kHz digital audio. It comes with 8-channel AES/EBU digital audio input and output (BNC) terminals. This allows the connection of digital audio equipment with a 48kHz sampling rate or digital VTR. Since the AJ-HPD2500 supports SDI embedded audio, it can record and play back up to 8 channels. For SD format, the AJ-HPD2500 records and plays 4-channel audio with all DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO/DV codecs.
- Advanced Recording Functions Employing Six Card Slots
- The P2 card offers a large capacity of up to 64GB in a small, lightweight package. Its rugged design withstands even harsh professional use. The AJ-HPD2500 comes with six P2 card slots. It enables continuous recording for up to 12 hours onto six cards (using the AVC-Intra 50 codec), for extended HD recording and transmission. Other recording functions include Hot-Swap Recording, Auto Recording, and Loop Recording.
- Text Memo, Shot Marker and Metadata
- Text Memo: When recording or previewing a clip, you can attach a memo (similar to a bookmark) at a desired location (up to 100 locations on a frame basis). The simplified editing function lets you copy a segment between memos and create a new clip. Text information can be added to a memo.
- Shot Marker: During or after recording, you can mark each clip with OK, NG or another designation.
- Clip Metadata: This function lets you browse and edit metadata, such as the name of the camera operator and reporter, shooting location and text memos. Text data can also be easily inserted by connecting a USB or software keyboard, and metadata files can be uploaded from an SD/SDHC card.
- Clip Thumbnail Display with Free Clip Sequencing
- The clip thumbnail (image list) display and GUI (graphical user interface) have been completely revamped. You can now select clips for instant playback, deletion, copying or resequencing. This makes it easy to gather and display clips for broadcasting or editing. The new GUI displays the clip properties on the same screen as the clips and clearly shows the source data--with scroll bar, clip count and playback position--at a glance. The thumbnail display can be changed to show any of the images in the clip, and the GUI can be output to a monitor.
- Edit Control Panel with Jog/Shuttle Dial
- Like a broadcast editor, the AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with a jog and shuttle dial. You can shuttle search at up to 100x normal speed in forward or reverse and jog search within a range of -1x to +1x speed. Audio can be monitored up to 10x normal speed.
- Playlist Editor GUI for Intuitive Operation
The playlist function lets you instantly edit* up to 100 events or a timeline of up to 24 hours. Operating ease and functions have both been enhanced.
- Editor GUI: The graphic user interface simultaneously displays player-side (source material) thumbnails or a preview screen on the left side, a recorder-side (timeline) preview screen on the right side, and the timeline at the bottom. It can also be output to a monitor.
- AV Independent Edit: Any desired track can be independently selected and edited from the video track and 4-channel audio track. The IN/OUT points for each track on the timeline can also be trimmed.
- Insert Edit and Overwrite Edit: There are two editing modes--the insert editing mode for inserting a new event between events and the overwrite editing mode for overwriting an existing event with a new event.
- Editcopy Function: Playlists can be saved as files and reused. The editcopy function can also write out the result of playlist playback as a separate clip.
*No transition settings or effects are available. V fade between events can be set only for audio.
- One-Clip Playback & GUI Hold for Easy Manual Data Transmission
- The AJ-HPD2500 P2 Deck features easy manual transmission by itself. The one-clip playback function plays resequenced clips one at a time, and the new GUI Hold lets you check the thumbnail image of the next clip by displaying the thumbnail screen onto both the LCD and a monitor during playback. It can also be remote controlled through a parallel, RS-232C, or RS422A interface, for easy operation while checking the thumbnail images on a control desk monitor.
- Direct Capture from an External VTR
- The AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with a Direct Capture function. It lets you set IN and OUT points on the player-side preview screen by controlling an external VTR connected via an RS-422A interface, and register or capture (digitization and clip creation) video footage directly onto the editing timeline. This allows quick P2HD production from tape sources in a linear-like fashion.
- eSATA/USB 2.0 Interface for an External HDD
- High-Speed Backup/Restore: Data can be backed up or restored on an eSATA hard disk at up to 4x*1 normal speed. USB 2.0 transfer speed has also been approximately at up to 2x previous model. A Device mode allows a PC (nonlinear editor) to serve as a P2 card drive.
- HDD Playback: P2 MXF files on an external hard disk can be displayed at thumbnails and played back at full frame rate.*2 P2 audio playback is uninterrupted by slow hard disk performance, or when vibration temporarily delays data reading.
- Playlist Editing: The files on a hard disk can be used for playlists and direct captures in the same way as P2 card data.
*1: For AVC-Intra 100 or DVCPRO HD. *2: Playback is based on disk drive performance, including spindle speed. Panasonic cannot guarantee smooth playback without dropped frames.
- Waveform or Vectorscope Display
- The AJ-HPD2500 has waveform and vectorscope display functions for the playback or input video signal on the LCD monitor. During up-conversion recording, the post-conversion waveform is displayed. It also displays on Monitor Out (SD)/SDI Out. (No superimposition will be displayed when the waveform is displayed on an external monitor.)
- Versatile Playback Functions Meet Diverse Needs
- Format Auto Playback: This automatically detects the video format and codec for each video clip to play back and output.
- Variable Speed Playback: For slow-motion and double-speed playback
- PB Position Selection: This lets you select the playback position when playing from a thumbnail image. You can select from three different options: Previous playback position, thumbnail time code position, or the beginning of the clip.
- Repeat Playback: This plays the selected clip (single or multiple) repeatedly. (Repeat playback of multiple clips is possible only with clips of the same format.)
- Gigabit Ethernet for FTP Transfers
The AJ-HPD2500 is provided with an Ethernet port (1000Base-T/100Base-TX/10Base-T) and features the following network functions:
- FTP Client Function: This function lets you connect the AJ-HPD2500 to an FTP server to send or receive clips to or from the server. You can upload files from a P2 card or external hard disk to an FTP server, or download files from the server to a P2 card or external hard disk. Files can be uploaded or downloaded easily by using thumbnails. SD/SDHC memory cards can be transferred card by card only.
- FTP/Samba Server Function: Files can be downloaded from a P2 card in an AJ-HPD2500 slot or from an external hard disk connected to the AJ-HPD2500 by using a PC connected to the network.*1
- HTTP Server Function: You can view thumbnails and metadata from a PC connected to the network.*1
- WWW Browser Function: You can access various web pages*2 without a PC. It is also possible to enter authentication information (ID and password) for network access.
*1: SD/SDHC memory cards cannot be accessed. In Server mode, transferring the data into a P2 card is not supported. *2: Some web pages may not be displayed properly due to content. Download functions on web pages cannot be used. Video clips on web pages or linked video files cannot be played.
- AES/EBU Digital Audio In/Out
- The AJ-HPD2500 comes with 8-channel AES/EBU digital audio input and output (BNC) terminals. Since the AJ-HPD2500 supports SDI embedded audio, it can record and play back up to 8 channels.
- Serial Digital Interface
- The AJ-HPD2500 has broadcast-standard SDI (HD/SD) input and output terminals. The input signal can be selected with the Video In and Audio In keys on the front panel. Start and stop recording operation can also be linked to a camera recorder.
- AVCHD Recording/Playback and P2HD/AVCHD Conversion (Option)
- When equipped with the optional AJ-YCX250G AVCHD codec board, the AJ-HPD2500 can record and play back AVCHD files on an SD/SDHC memory card. It can also convert and copy files between P2HD and AVCHD at normal speed.
- Versatile Remote Control
The AJ-HPD2500 features RS-422A remote that is common in broadcast VTRs (allowing it to be controlled as a player for editing*), RS-232C remote for use with PCs and other IT systems, parallel remote, and encoder remote for flexible system configurations.
*Remote control with the RS-422A interface is not possible in AVCHD mode.)
- Analog Input/Output
- The AJ-HPD2500 is equipped with various analog I/Os: Composite Video In, Composite Monitor Out, Audio In/Out (2 channels), Audio Monitor Out (2 channels), Time Code In/Out and Reference Video In (with loop-through).
- 4U Rack Size
- The AJ-HPD2500 has the same height and 4U size as our DVCPRO VTRs and mounts easily into a 19" rack. It can slip right in as a replacement for an older VTR. Mounting adaptor must be purchased separately.
- AJ-HPD2500 Input/Output Workflow
- Versatile input and output terminals of the AJ-HPD2500 meet a wide range of broadcast station and CATV needs, from line and studio recording to editing, transmitting and archiving. This P2 Mobile is also equipped with the RS-422A, RS-232C and 25-pin parallel remote control interfaces that are used by conventional VTR systems. Its networking functions and eSATA/USB 2.0 interface further allow the AJ-HPD2500 to serve as the core of a file-based broadcasting system, while allowing continued use of existing tape materials and serving as a flexible add-on to smooth the transition from a tape-based to a file-based system.