The premium ultrafast telephoto lens for the Nikon autofocus system, the AF-S ED-IF II 400mm f/2.8 is an incredibly robust lens with marked improvements from its predecessor. Using Silent Wave Motor technology to drive autofocus operation, focus can be changed from infinity to the shortest distance in 0.27 seconds. Even more incredible, however, is the performance of the new-generation AF-S lenses when tracking subjects with erratic motion. Slick as silk, directional changes are accomplished with the ease of a jungle cat. It is this trait which will impress those who've never used the AF-S motors; while AF-D is quite competent for hunting images of fast subjects quickly approaching the lens, in unpredictable conditions they are totally outclassed by AF-S.
Note: AF-S feature is not supported by certain camera models. Please click here for a list of compatible models.
- Magnesium construction shaves weight from the AF-S ED-IF "I" 400mm f/2.8
- M/A mode provides instant switching from autofocus to manual focus with nearly no time lag, even during tracking autofocus
- 3 "ED" Extra Low Dispersion glass elements restrict chromatic aberrations to a minimum
- No power drain when manually focusing
- 9-bladed aperture diaphragm assures brilliant rendition of out-of-focus highlights