The ISA428 MkII from Focusrite is a four-channel microphone preamp featuring Focusrite's transformer-based preamps. With selectable input impedance, direct instrument inputs and an optional eight channels of high-quality analog to digital conversion, the unit is a perfect front end for the audio professional, whether utilizing digital or analog recording.
The ISA microphone preamp holds a reputation for delivering transparency along with subtle warmth derived from transformer core saturation. The addition of a variable impedance circuit allows users to perfectly match the preamp with any microphone, or to use different settings creatively to shape the sound of the microphone.
The extremely broad frequency response of Focusrite preamps (close to 200kHz at the top end) guarantees accurate phase response across the range of human hearing, with the roll-off point being moved entirely outside of the audible hearing range. Warmth, plus beautifully open, unrestricted high frequencies, is a classic hallmark of the mid 80's Focusrite designs to which this preamp owes its design.
The optional eight channel analog converter utilizes high-quality Burr-Brown amplifiers and PCM4220 A-D converter chips seated within Focusrite's custom analog circuitry. Specifications include a dynamic range of 122dB and jitter performance below 250 picoseconds. The card can be retrofitted at any time and due to the convenient 25-pin D-type connector, it integrates seamlessly with most digital workstations, including Pro Tools.
- Four ISA Series Transformer-Based Preamps
- ISA series microphone preamps have been the producers' choice on countless hit records over the last two decades
- Eight-Channel Optional A-D Converter
- Four additional A-D converter inputs allow eight channels of high-quality conversion, with a dynamic range of 122dB and jitter performance below 250 picoseconds
- Selectable Impedance
- Ideal for microphone matching or extended microphone creativity - settings include the "Vintage ISA110" setting that provides the original Focusrite signature sound
- Four Front Panel Instrument Inputs
- Instant access on the front fascia - no separate DI box required
- Dedicated Analog Insert Points
- Switchable insert points are featured on every channel, allowing routing (between pre-amp and output) through additional external processing
- Variable High-Pass Focusrite Filter
- Provided on every channel, this is the same filter as featured on the original ISA428
- Accurate LED Meters for Every Channel
- Clear metering designed to catch even the fastest and most elusive of transients
- Additional Features
- Phantom power available on every channel
- Trim control allows 20dB of extra gain with fine adjustment
- Phase reverse buttons help to correct phase issues with microphones or cables
- Optional A-D converters easily synchronize to external Wordclock