Apple TV changed the way we watch TV and movies when it first came out; now it's changing how we watch again. This permutation of the Apple TV is more compact, and based around streaming - not syncing. Movies, photos, music, TV shows and more stream directly to the Apple TV, and subsequently your HDTV, from the Internet or from the iTunes on your computer. Soon you'll also be able to wirelessly transmit to Apple TV from your iPod, iPad, or iPhone too.
Powered by the Apple A4 chip this Apple TV is touted to be faster than ever. Just connect the device to your HDTV with an HDMI cable, plug in the power source, (make sure your router's on!) and you're good to go.
About the size of the palm of your hand the Apple TV will hardly take up any space at all. The included remote gives you all the control you need to browse and select your media options - from Netflix, YouTube, Flickr, your iTunes, and even your iPod, iPad, and iPhone, with AirPlay. Alternatively, you can also use your iPhone or iPod touch as a remote using the free Remote app from the App store.
This Apple TV is all about rentals; you can rent single shows for 99¢ from the iTunes store. You have 30 days to start watching, and after you begin, 24 hours to complete viewing. Of course, when you purchase movies and shows from iTunes on your computer, you can watch those any time. Additionally, you can keep track of your favorite TV shows with Apple TV - Select your favorite shows with the remote and catch up with them when you can. And, of course, there's Netflix. Netflix subscribers can use the device to stream thousands of available movies and TV shows right to their HDTV over a broadband Internet connection.
Along with watching movies, TV shows, and Internet videos, Apple TV gives you access to photos and music stored on your computer as well. Share your photos in HD using the slideshow feature, and add a soundtrack from your iTunes. When you feel like delving into your music library pick out albums and songs, much like you do on your computer.
- Simple, Entertaining Design
- This sleek Apple TV has been completely retuned for your entertainment. It's 80 percent smaller than the previous generation - even with a built-in power supply. Which makes it perfect for sitting neatly on a widescreen TV stand or squeezing into a crowded media cabinet. Not only does this Apple TV have an amazingly small footprint, it's also incredibly energy efficient. It stays cool without a fan, so it's never noisy. And when it's not filling your living room with drama, romance, and comedy, it uses less power than a night-light
- All Streaming. No Hassle
- Everything you want to watch - movies, TV shows, photos, and more - streams wirelessly to Apple TV. That way you don't have to worry about managing storage or syncing to your iTunes library. HD movie and TV show rentals play over the Internet to your widescreen TV, while music and photos stream from your computer. Either way, all you have to do is click and play. Since Apple TV features a powerful A4 chip, it streams everything effortlessly, without frozen screens or stutters. Video looks crisp and clear. And just like watching a DVD, you can fast-forward through opening credits, pause for a popcorn break, or replay a hilarious scene until you memorize every line
- Get Connected with Apple TV
- Setting up Apple TV is about as simple as it gets. Just plug the power cord into the wall and connect Apple TV to your widescreen TV using an HDMI cable (sold separately). Since everything streams wirelessly to Apple TV, that's all you need. Well, that and a comfy couch
- From the Movie Theater to Your Home Theater
- No more waiting for DVDs or watching stale blockbusters on cable. With Apple TV, you get instant access to the hottest Hollywood titles and new releases - often the same day they come out on DVD. Popular movies are never out of stock and you can rent as many as you want. That's perfect for those spontaneous movie nights (or afternoons or mornings). Search by top movies, title, or genre. Even read a quick movie review, watch the trailer, and check out the latest ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. Once you find what you're looking for, simply press Play, and in seconds, you're watching the opening credits with theater-like Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. SD rentals start at just $2.99, and HD rentals start at $3.99. You have 30 days to start watching, and once you begin, you can watch as many times as you want in 24 hours
- A La Carte TV Show Rentals
- With Apple TV, anytime is prime time. That's because you can rent your favorite TV shows - sitcoms, dramas, and reality series - on the spot, completely commercial free and in HD for just 99¢ per episode. Watch a show the day after it airs, or camp out on your couch and catch up on past seasons with a marathon of back-to-back episodes. Once you rent an episode, you have 30 days to press Play. Then it's yours for the next 48 hours. Watch it once, or replay it as many times as you want for some instant rerun gratification
- Apple TV. Your Personal TV Watching Assistant
- Say it's midseason and you can't make it home in time to watch this week's episode of your favorite show. Apple TV keeps track of your favorite shows so the next time you turn on your TV, you can quickly see which season you're watching and which episodes are new. Select shows with a few clicks of the included remote. And if your viewing list gets a bit long, Apple TV lets you rearrange it any way you want by clicking and reordering shows using the remote
- Even More Flicks with Netflix
- From classics to recent Hollywood favorites, Netflix on Apple TV puts even more movies and TV shows within reach of your remote. Apple TV smartly organizes the huge Netflix catalog of HD and SD titles so you can find exactly what you're looking for in a matter of clicks. When you find something you like, watch it right away or add it to your instant-watch queue. Since Apple TV lets you access your Netflix account directly from your HDTV, you can ditch all the computer-to-TV adapters and skip straight to the part where you press Play
- The Internet's Most Wanted. Now On Your HDTV
- Put down your mouse and grab a remote. In addition to movies and TV shows, Apple TV gives you access to some of your favorite Internet content - and makes it even more entertaining by giving it the movie-star treatment on your HDTV. Browse and play YouTube videos, watch your favorite HD podcasts, and listen to Internet radio through your home entertainment speakers. Apple TV even lets you access Flickr photos and MobileMe galleries from the biggest screen in the house
- Turn Your TV Into An HD Photo Album
- With Apple TV, every megapixel of every photo looks amazing. Big, bold, and in glorious HD: It's the treatment your digital life deserves. So instead of huddling around a computer screen, you and your friends can relive memories from a comfy spot in your living room. Or add some life to the party with a photo slideshow. Select an album, pick a slideshow theme, and finish it off with a soundtrack featuring music from your iTunes library
- Your Music. Your Speakers. The Perfect Duet
- You've got tons of music on your computer. But the best speakers in the house are part of your home theater system. Apple TV connects them without missing a beat. Your iTunes music library streams directly to Apple TV. So you can sit back, choose a tune, and enjoy the music
- Give Your Digital Collection Some Airtime
- Those movies and TV shows you bought on iTunes don't have to stay on your computer. For maximum entertainment, stream your digital collection over the air to your Apple TV. Just don't forget to call dibs on the recliner
- Channel Surf, Tap, and Flick with the Remote App
- Control Apple TV using your iPhone or iPod touch. Download the Remote app free from the App Store. And with a flick of your finger, you can rent new movies and TV shows, scroll through the Netflix catalog, and browse your media collection. Remote uses the same easy-to-use interface you already use to browse music and video on your Multi-Touch device. So right away, you know how to navigate. If you want to find something specific, use your device's QWERTY keyboard to quickly tap out the title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen. Then keep tapping to play, fast-forward, rewind, and pause to your finger's content
- If It's on iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, it's on Apple TV
- You can already stream music, photos, and video from your computer to Apple TV. With AirPlay, you can stream it all from your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, too. So if you feel like watching a movie you have on one of your devices, you don't need to rent or buy it again. Just tap to start playing content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then tap again to instantly stream whatever you're watching - or listening to - directly to Apple TV. Airplay is compatible with an iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad running iOS 4.2 or later.