The SolarMax II 90 Telescope from Coronado features the introduction of the RichView tuning method which allows direct adjustment of the primary etalon filter. With RichView, the scope can be tuned for more precise wavelengths of light of the hydrogen-alpha (Ha) band. This allows for higher contrast views of active regions, flares, filaments and other surface features. It can be quickly re-tuned for prominences on the solar limb.
The SolarMax II 90 is a dedicated H-Alpha solar viewing telescope with a 90mm SolarMax filter, a T-Max 90 tuner, a BF-30 blocking filter, and a set of Cemax eyepieces. The SolarMax 900 features a <0.7 Å solar-viewing system that will provide detailed views of plage, flares, filaments, prominences, and granulation.
The heart of the SolarMax II 90's viewing system is the SolarMax 90 filter and its matching T-Max 90 Doppler Tuning Unit. This combination can be selectively adjusted by the viewer to de-tune the telescope's optical system. The wavelengths produced by high-velocity events such as active flares and coronal mass ejections (CME) can Doppler-shift and become invisible to a fixed H-Alpha system. The slight adjustment range made possible by the T-Max 90 allows these phenomena to become more visible.
All SolarMax filters must be used with a secondary interference filter. This package includes the BF-30 blocking filter - a 1.25" straight through type that produces a 27.2mm image. The BF-30 is thermally stable, so the image will not drift off the H-Alpha line as it heats up during use. Its 10mm aperture is matched to the telescope's focal length for full disk views of the Sun. This large aperture also enables the use of most Barlow lenses - this simplifies digital photography and enables the use of binoviewers.
SolarMax telescopes produce outstanding views of the Sun's active surface with 100% safety. None of the parts in this kit are stand-alone units - each component is equally crucial to the user's safety and the system's performance.
- RichView Tuning Method
- RichView tuning method allows for higher contrast views of active regions, flares, filaments and other surface features
- Dedicated H-Alpha Telescope
- This 800 mm f/8.8 solar viewing refractor offers enhanced resolution
- BF-30 Blocking Filter
- The BF-30 is a 1.25" right angle diagonal that must be used with a SolarMax filter. It produces a 27.2 mm image. It is thermally-stable to ensure there's no drifting off the H-Alpha line during use. Its 10 mm aperture matches the scope's focal length for full disk viewing
- SolarMax 90 H-Alpha Filter
- This 90 mm 0.7 Å objective filter results in a higher level of resolution
- T-Max 90 Doppler Tuning Unit
- The T-Max 90 is used to de-tune the SolarMax filter towards the blue end of the H-Alpha line. This enhances detailed observation and imaging of solar disk shapes, surface details, prominences, granulation, and edge activities
- Cemax Eyepiece Set
- A high-quality set of Cemax oculars for telescopes that accept 1.25" eyepieces. These eyepieces feature sharp optics, a compact form-factor, long eye relief, and a standard apparent field of view
- Sol Ranger Finderscope
- The Sol Ranger attaches to the SolarMax telescope's clamshell mount. A pinhole on the front of the Sol Ranger allows a harmless beam of light to be projected onto an opaque glass viewer when the sun is in the main scope's FOV. The resulting image can be viewed easily from the rear of the telescope - this ensures a rapid and accurate alignment process