The Nikon CoolPix S8100 (Gold) isn't loaded with frivolous bells and whistles--it's got seriously awesome bells and whistles like a 12.1MP CMOS sensor, a sharp, wide-angle to telephoto 10x optical zoom lens (30-300mm 35mm equivalent) made with Nikon ED glass, 1080p HD video, 5 frames per second shooting, 4-way image stabilization for sharp photos even in low light, and a beautiful 921,000-dot high resolution 3" LCD display.
But there's a lot more. Like Subject Tracking to automatically track and auto focus on a moving subject; one-touch video recording with optical zoom, stereo sound and an in-camera editing function; HDR (high dynamic range) function that automatically merges several images of the same scene to achieve a single image with a broad, beautiful range of tonal detail not otherwise possible; and 17 scene modes including the Scene Auto Selector, which automatically recognizes any shooting situation and optimizes all the settings for that scene.
Night Portrait combines consecutive shots of the background while the subject in the foreground is taken using the flash, allowing challenging night scenes to be easily captured during handheld shooting and eliminating any subject movement. Night Landscape combines a series of five consecutive shots taken at a fast shutter speed into a single image with reduced noise for taking handheld shots in low light.
There's also the Smart Portrait System, with In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, improved Face-Priority AF, Blink Warning, Smile Timer, and Skin Softening to make your friends and family actually happy to see themselves in your pictures.
- 12.1MP high resolution sensor
- 3" ultra high resolution (921,000 dots) Clear Color Display with a wide viewing angle and anti-glare coating
- 10x 30-300mm Nikon ED glass zoom lens (35mm equivalent)
- Full HD video at 1080p resolution with one-touch recording, optical zoom, stereo sound recording while filming, in-camera editing functions, and shooting still photos while recording video
- High-speed shooting full resolution frames at up to 5 frames/second (fps)--for extremely fast action shots
- With Subject Tracking, the S8100 automatically tracks a designated subject by activating autofocus (AF), enabling the user to capture the best moment confidently
- The S8100 incorporates Nikon's exclusive EXPEED C2 image processing engine, which is customized to each CoolPix model to further drive enhanced performance, outstanding image quality and HD video
Greatly enhanced low-light photographs: the 12.1MP backside illumination CMOS sensor enables exceptional image quality even when shooting in low-light settings, including the advanced Night Portrait mode, which reproduces night scenes and indoor portraits as the user sees them while reducing image blur.
To further help deliver crisp, sharp photos, the S8100 features a 4-Way vibration reduction (VR) Image Stabilization System with ISO settings up to 3200.
The Night Portrait mode combines consecutive shots of the background while the subject is taken by using the flash, allowing challenging night scenes to be easily captured during handheld shooting and eliminating any subject movement.
The advanced Night Landscape mode combines a series of five consecutive shots taken at a fast shutter speed into a single image with reduced noise for when taking handheld shots.
- Enhanced shooting and editing functions include a new Mode Dial conveniently placed next to the shutter-release button for quick and easy access to shooting modes, the Creative Slider (which simplifies adjusting brightness), saturation and color tone in-camera, Quick Retouch, and D-Lighting, giving users the ability to adjust their images during playback.
- There are 17 Scene modes, including the Scene Auto Selector, which automatically recognizes the shooting situation and adjusts camera settings accordingly for great photos in any environment. For outstanding portraits, Nikon's Smart Portrait System incorporates a series of automatic functions including In-Camera Red-Eye Fix, improved Face-Priority AF, Blink Warning, Smile Timer and Skin Softening to flatter even the most camera-shy subject.