The Sony SRW-9000PL HDCAM-SR Camcorder joins the SRW-9000 as next-generation younger siblings to Sony's renowned CineAlta F35 digital cinema camera. This latest incarnation, however, adds a Super 35mm-sized sensor and PL mount, giving it increased lowlight sensitivity, greater depth-of-field control, and access to an extended lineup of professional cinema lenses.
As a one-piece, modular 24P camcorder platform, the SRW-9000PL carries forward the F35's reputation for producing outstanding digital imagery. Using the F35's sensor and the lossless capture afforded by HDCAM-SR's MPEG4-SStP recording format, the camera creates professional-grade 1080p images with customizable gammas and up to 12 stops of dynamic range for true film-like images. This makes the SRW-9000PL the perfect tool for features, commercials, documentaries or music videos--either as a low-budget 'A' camera or as a 'B' or Steadicam camera on larger productions.
But the SRW-9000PL is more than just a camera, it's a system. Its open-platform design means it can be tailored to the specific needs of each production. As with the F35, its PL lens mount allows for a wide range of professional 35mm lenses. But the camera's capabilities don't stop there. Need 4:4:4 color? Or incremental, variable frame rates? Optional processing boards give them to you.
Along with its larger imaging sensor, the SRW-9000PL adds a couple of other tools to its arsenal: ISO 800 Mode Gamma, which increases dynamic range by up to 800%, and S-Gamut Color Space, a color management system taken from the F35 which widens the color gamut beyond that of film to provide increased headroom during color correction.
- Super 35 mm-sized CCD
The SRW-9000PL is equipped with the same 12 megapixel Super 35 mm-sized CCD sensor as Sony's acclaimed F35 digital cinematography camera that yields a full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 picture at frame rates up to 50 progressive frames per second.
The single sensor CCD uses a RGB striped filter providing a true RGB 4:4:4 sample off the imager, and color values are never interpolated from neighboring pixels. The result is exceptional image quality, a wide dynamic range, and extremely flexible depth-of-field control.
- PL Lens Mount
- The SRW-9000PL employs a PL lens mount, which is standard for film cameras, allowing a number of prime and zoom lenses for 35mm film cameras to be used. This greatly broadens the choice of lenses for a wider spectrum of creative expression.
- Full-bandwidth RGB 4:4:4 Digital Image Capturing
- With the addition of the optional HKSR-9003 RGB 4:4:4 Processing Board, the SRW-9000PL offers a full-bandwidth digital 4:4:4 high-definition Red, Green, and Blue signal processing and output capability for highly demanding picture productions. The SRW-9000PL also offers S-LOG Gamma with the same optional board, allowing users to flexibly adjust images in the post-production process.
- Variable Frame Rate Image Capturing
- By adding the HKSR-9002 Picture Cache Board, the SRW-9000PL is capable of recording images at a variable frame rate from 1 fps to 50 fps in 4:2:2 mode. And by combining the HKSR-9002 with the HKSR-9003, it can perform the same function even in 4:4:4 mode.
- Long Recording Time on a Single Cassette
- Utilizing the technologically advanced HDCAM-SR format's high-density recording capability and compression technology, the SRW-9000PL is capable of recording up to 50 minutes at 1080/24PsF and up to 40 minutes at 1080/59.94i.
- Exceptional Ergonomics for Filmmakers
- The SRW-9000PL's chassis is a development of the film-style ergonomics Sony designed for the F35, utilizing a completely different layout compared to the traditional broadcast TV approach of other Sony cameras. For camera operators used to working with film, the SRW-9000PL makes it easy to adapt.
- Outstanding Operational Mobility
- The SRW-9000PL's rugged one-piece body, with self-contained, ultra-reliable HDCAM-SR recording deck, offers incredible operational mobility both indoors and outside. At the same time, Sony's BP-GL Series of on-board batteries can be attached to further extend shooting times.
- Wide Choice of Viewfinders
- The SRW-9000PL accepts three types of viewfinder, including the HDVF-20A/200, HDVF-C35W, and HDVF-C30WR. The newly introduced HDVF-C30WR is especially suited for use with the SRW-9000PL, offering improved focus assist functions, a color brightness level indicator, and numerous other beneficial features. Moreover, with pre-installed viewing LUTs (look-up tables) for S-Log Gamma, this viewfinder provides users with easier focus adjustment and a more intuitive photo-shooting operation.
- S-Log Gamma
- A feature of the optional HKSR-9003 RGB 4:4:4 Processing Board, S-Log Gamma maintains the full dynamic range of the CCD. The setting is similar to the tonal response of a film negative, so that users can retain full flexibility in color correction and a seamless workflow with post-production facilities geared toward log-encoded material.
- ISO 800 Mode Gamma
- The SRW-9000PL offers the ISO800 mode gamma curve that provides appropriate contrast and a dynamic range up to 800% while allowing the user to shoot with sensitivity comparable to ISO 800.
- HyperGamma is another powerful gamma feature. The user can select the best-suited preset gamma curve depending on the scene and their desired "look" for the image. The SRW-9000PL inherits these powerful HyperGamma settings from Sony's CineAlta cameras and camcorders, which are widely used in cinema and drama productions. Additionally, these camcorders can use new settings that are tailored to the advanced characteristics of the SRW-9000PL.
- Customizable Gamma
- The SRW-9000PL allows users to customize gamma curves with CvpFileEditor software for Windows PCs and Mac. An easy GUI enables users to change the shape of the gamma curve, and then users can load the curve into the camera via Memory Stick PRO media.
- Wide Color Space: S-Gamut
- The SRW-9000PL incorporates the same optical head block, 3D LUT (lookup table), and proprietary color management system of the F35. This allows the camcorder to capture images with a wide color gamut called S-Gamut that exceeds that of film, providing cinematographers with greater color-correction capabilities during the post-production process.
- HD-SDI MON1/MON2 Outputs
- The SRW-9000PL is equipped with two HD-SDI monitor outputs. This offers great convenience, enabling multiple people to monitor shootings with connected HD monitors such as the PVM-740.
- Built-in 2-3 Pull-down, Down-conversion Output
- The SRW-9000PL provides down-converted standard-definition (SD) analog composite signal output with 2-3 pull-down capability. This makes it possible to monitor camera or recording using a conventional SD monitor.
- Picture Cache Re-recording Capability
- Everything captured up to a maximum of three seconds before the REC button is pressed is recorded to HDCAM SR tape when the camcorder is in stand-by mode.
- Dual-link HD-SDI and 3G-SDI Output
- The HKSR-9001 HD-SDI Expansion Board provides dual-link HD-SDI output and 3G-SDI (2.97 Gbps) output. Dual-link HD-SDI enables this camcorder to output signals beyond the capability of 1.5G single-link HD-SDI. These signals include 1080/4:2:2/50p and 59.94p, and 1080/4:4:4. With the 3G-SDI, these signals can also be output over a single BNC cable. The camcorder's RGB 4:4:4 output capability allows users to monitor materials in RGB full resolution, instantly on site. Users can select either dual-link HD-SDI or 3G-SDI via the menu.
- AUX Input
- The HKSR-9001 HD-SDI Expansion Board adds an AUX input capability. The AUX input works as an HD-SDI audio input. This provides users with an outstanding audio multiplexing capability of up to 12 channels, in conjunction with third-party audio multiplexing devices.
- Wide Range of Accessories
- The SRW-9000PL is compatible with a wide range of accessories for the HDW-F900, F23, SRW-1, and from ARRI.