The Formatt 127mm Day for Night Monochrome 1 Filter is a great way to create images simulating dusk or night-time while filming during the day. This is a special effects yellow-green filter that removes most of the red from the image. In this way, your daytime shot takes on the cool tones of a night shot. Inasmuch as the color balance of the image is strongly affected, care needs to be taken when using this filter.
Formatt, a company with three generations of professional filter-making experience produces every filter to the highest technical standards. The finest materials, together with state of-the-art production technology have resulted in a standard of optical excellence unmatched anywhere else.
Note: Day for Night Monochrome Filters are available in densities from 1-3 with 3 having the greatest effect
- Cool Day for Night is based on the perception that moonlight is cool, therefore bluish in color
- To produce this effect Formatt uses a shade of lavender for visual coolness while maintaining realistic flesh tones
- Monochrome Day for Night is based on the theory that lower light levels will reduce the sensitivity of the eye, creating a more 'silvery moon' type effect; this filter effects the color balance of the image so fine tuning of color timings is essential
- Each filter is manufactured from Schott White Water Clear Optical Glass
- Absolute consistency in color and density to Kodak Wratten standards
- Precision grinding and polishing result in unbeatable optical flatness allowing use on even ultra-long focal length lenses
- Filter edges are protected with a unique frame for maximum protection and easy handling
Absorbing Cell Technology
- The secret to Formatt's consistency in filter design lies in its unique "Absorbing Cell Technology" (A.C.T.); this unique process allows color correct dyes to be applied to optically pure, wafer thin absorbing cells and offers a controllability that ensures the smoothest grad lines and consistent color across the whole filter surface.
- This process is revolutionary compared with conventional filter dying techniques by eliminating the need to directly coat the glass surface itself; the repeatable performance gained through A.C.T. ensures that at any time you have to swap like filters for like filters mid shoot you can do so with confidence with no discernible differences in color or density.
- Each filter is guaranteed flatness to a maximum 2-wave value and comes with an individual reading from a laser interferometer; every filter is carefully verified with a densitometer and spectrophotometer to ensure consistent and accurate transmission, before leaving the factory - the result is an absolute purity of image that eliminates any unwanted colorcast caused by conventional greenish soda-lime glass.