New camera, new lens: this Pentax-D FA 645 55mm f/2.8 AL[IF] SDM AW Lens is the first model of the Pentax-D FA 645 lens series created for the Pentax 645D digital medium-format camera. With a focal length that's equivalent to a 43.5mm standard lens (in 35mm), it features optics optimized for digital photography to assure exceptional performance, and also provides an image circle covering the image area of existing 645-format film SLR cameras. It has dependable, dust-proof, weather-resistant construction for active outdoor photography.
This lens features a Supersonic Direct-drive Motor (SDM) autofocus drive and Quick-Shift for instant autofocus/manual focus switching, Aero Bright coating to help prevent flare and ghost images, and it's Pentax's first 645 system lens to incorporate a rounded diaphragm for improved bokeh (the aesthetic quality of the blur in the out-of-focus areas of an image).
- State-of-the-Art Optics
- Incorporating high-performance, hybrid aspherical optical element in its optics, this new standard lens (focal length equivalent to 43.5mm in the 35mm format) offers exceptional image-resolving power with outstanding brightness levels even at the edges, while compensating various aberrations to a minimum. All lens characteristics are optimized for digital photography: for instance, flare and ghost images are minimized by applying exclusive lens coatings to optical elements and employing anti-reflection materials for the interior of the lens barrel.
- Versatile Standard Lens
- When mounted on the PENTAX 645D camera body, this standard lens offers a focal length which produces an angle of view close to that of the human eye. As the result, it can be used for many different kinds of subjects and applications, including landscapes and portraits.
- Dustproof, Weather-Resistant Construction
- Seven special seals make this lens dustproof and weather-resistant. This lens coupled with the Pentax 645D camera body provides a durable, reliable digital SLR camera that performs superbly, even in rain, mist, or locations prone to water splashes and spray. The "AW" (All Weather) designation in the lens name testifies to the weather-resistant construction and it is rated to operate in temperatures from 14-104ºF (-10 to 40ºC).
- Aero Bright Coating Dramatically Improves Image Description in Backlight
- The Pentax original Aero Bright coating on this lens delivers brilliant, high-quality images by preventing flare and ghost images more effectively. This exclusive coating effectively reduces lens reflectance and greatly increases light transmittance by forming a silica aerogel layer with uniform pores on the surface of optical element.
- Rounded Diaphragm to Produce a Beautiful Bokeh
- The first Pentax medium-format interchangeable lens to feature a completely rounded diaphragm, it creates a natural, beautiful "bokeh" (out-of-focus rendition), while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources.
- Smooth, Quiet SDM Autofocus
- The SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) autofocus mechanism operates smoothly and quietly using the supersonic motor installed inside the lens barrel.
- SP Coating Blocks Dust and Dirt
- The front surface of the lens is treated with Pentax's SP (Special Protect) coating, which applies a fluorine compound to the lens surface through a vapor deposition process. This SP coating effectively repels dust, water and grease, and also makes it easy to wipe off fingerprints and cosmetics.
- Advanced Focus Options
- Quick-Shift Focus system instantly switches to manual focus operation, after the subject is captured in focus by the AF system.