The Canvas 12 Software from ACD Systems is a graphics suite designed for engineers, technical illustrators, and other professionals who require extreme precision when creating graphics. Canvas has tools for working with both vector and raster images, and supports all standard file formats.
You'll be able to input data to create images with 0.035 micron precision. Pre-made shapes and objects are at your disposal, and text tools allow you to add labels and captions. When your illustrations are complete, you'll be able to share in virtually any manner -- they can be distributed as password encrypted files, HTML web documents, and PDF files with hyperlinks.
- Precision Technical Illustration without Limits
- As the preferred choice of technical illustrators in precision industries, Canvas 12 comes with all the powerful vector object illustration and advanced raster image editing tools you need, in one integrated, flexible design environment. Speed up and streamline your workflow from initial import and design to final presentation, facilitate collaboration, and improve overall productivity with this complete technical illustration software solution.
- Handle it All
- Import existing graphics from over a hundred different standard and specialized formats, including DXF, DWG, CGM, Adobe PDF, Scientific Imaging filters, and RAW picture files from leading camera manufacturers. Augment, apply effects, and export to another format. You can even export to multiple formats simultaneously. With Canvas 12, you can experience end-to-end workflow and seamless integration within complex engineering and scientific software and work environments.
- Work Flexibly with Vector Objects
- Illustrate, edit and augment all forms of complex visual objects with Canvas 12's wide variety of professional tools and powerful Sprite technology. New features allow you to rejoin segment objects into one and fill the intersections of overlapping objects with a single click, while its proprietary SpriteLayers and SpriteEffects can be used to apply image and transparency effects without affecting the original object.
- Access Raster Image Editing Tools
- Why work within limits? Canvas 12 comes complete with a full suite of raster image editing features. Create, edit and augment raster images, including GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PICT, BMP and EPS, with a host of industry standard and specialized techniques, tools and filters. Design image compositions, retouch photos, paint and color-correct scanned images, create transparency effects and vignettes, age photos, clone pixels and much more. Work with both raster images and vector images at the same time, with access to the same tools, to enhance objects and images in countless ways.
- Draw and Dimension with Precision
- Create visuals from both raw and technical data. Choose from a variety of methods to input your exact coordinates, and Canvas 12, with its ability to represent any object property to within 0.035 microns, accurately turns your data into strong, real-time visual content that you can then enhance, review and publish. Resize and scale objects, add fill and stroke inks, widths and other attributes, and draw shapes -- all with measured precision and placement.
- Add On-the-Fly Illustration Objects
- Instantly add re-usable dynamic objects to drawings or as the basis for symbol pen strokes and inks. Access thousands of commonly used and specialized technical symbols from Canvas 12's pre-loaded Symbol Library collection, or create your own custom symbols using any vector object. You can also create custom symbol inks and pen strokes, and manage them all with flexibility. Move, add keywords, and re-categorize symbols to match your unique workflow needs.
- Handle Text with Ease
- Add professionally formatted and fully editable text to vector objects and raster images. Create multi-page text documents and technical publications using a full range of traditional text formatting and style tools. Format pages and columns, flow text, wrap, bind, proof and annotate. Handle text as you would a vector object -- re-shape with precision, integrate into drawings, edit strokes, and more.
- Make the Most of Your Data
- In specialized workflows that require high level format support and sophisticated methods of data acquisition, visualization and analysis, Canvas 12 has the crucial ability to accurately measure, edit, and export digital images that contain up to 32 bits per channel of data.
- Engineer to Perfection
- Canvas 12 fully integrates with complex engineering work environments. Engineers working in the space, aircraft manufacturing, defense, utility, and petroleum industries rely on Canvas' unmatched set of major workflow features, including 3D View and CGM support, CAD-inspired dimensioning tools, and its overall precision and accuracy.
- Publish Professionally
- Create impressive publications and presentations, in collaboration with colleagues. Canvas 12 has everything needed to design professional documents and presentations, including the Symbol Library and pre-installed Canvas symbol sets, top quality raster image rendering, robust page and text formatting, flowchart integration, and pre-press tools. Apply password and encryption protection, and share in a variety of print and web-ready presentation formats, including HTML and Adobe PDF complete with interactive hyperlinks.
New in Version 12 - Technical Illustration and Enhancement with Greater Control
- Symbol Pen
- Create custom pen strokes made from symbols. Draw with these repeated symbol motifs as you would with any other digital pen stroke.
- Symbol Library
- Add, create and organize symbols quickly and easily. Choose from thousands of commonly used and highly specialized technical symbols included with Canvas 12, or create your own custom symbol from any vector object. Manage all your dynamic object assets with the Symbol Library, where you can move, add keywords, and re-categorize as required to suit your unique workflow.
- Smart Vector Fill
- Fill or color the intersections of multiple vector objects with a single click. Simply select an area defined by overlapping line graphics to apply a fill ink. This avoids having to redraw these regions as standalone objects first.
- Smart Join
- Quickly and intuitively rejoin segmented objects into a singular object with the new Smart Join command.
- Precise Perimeter-based Illustration Scaling
- Accurately scale simple or composite vector objects based on area or perimeter values. Just enter a value in the Scale Options dialog box, choose Percentage or Absolute, and click a different origin point if desired. You can even scale a pen weight.
New in Version 12 - Additional Workflow Integration
- Support for AutoCAD 3D
- Seamlessly work with AutoCAD DXF/DWG 3D object files. Choose from several 3D Import Options, use step rotation on an X, Y, or Z axis, edit and enhance color, scale, light source, and preview in Wireframe.
- CGM4 File Support, Including WebCGM
- Enjoy full integration with CGM workflows. Canvas 12 supports the latest CGM file types including Version 4, and WebCGM files. Visually augment and edit property tags and other attributes, and export files back into CGM work environments and specialized CGM applications. Or, present CGM files in new ways, including on the web.
- Exact Geometry
- Import and export an object's exact geometry with Canvas 12's Geometric I/O feature, allowing for powerful integration with Microsoft Excel and specialized software. In addition, you can precisely specify and manipulate the location and geometric dimensions of shapes and lines, and conveniently view an object's geometric attributes directly in Canvas.
- Export to Many Formats at Once
- Save time by exporting files to different formats with just a single click, thanks to the new Multi-Save command. Choose from a range of formats, including BMP, CGM, GIF, JPG, PCX, Adobe PDF, PNG, TGA, and TIF.
- View EXIF Metadata
- Access a digital photo image's EXIF metadata properties within Canvas 12. View information such as data and time, camera settings including aperture, shutter speed, focal length and ISO speed, GPS coordinates and more.
New in Version 12 - Publish, Present and Collaborate More Powerfully
- Greater Link Control
- Use Canvas 12 to add interactivity and connectivity to your technical documents. Add hyperlinks to graphics, images or text, and then export your documents to Adobe PDF or HTML with links intact.
- Navigate Document Pages
- Easily move within multiple page illustration, publication, animation and presentation documents, with Canvas 12's new Page Navigator palette. Dock or float the palette as needed for added convenience.
- Automated Flowchart Tools
- Flowcharts are a logical and clear way to present complex and visually rich information. Now it's amazingly quick and easy to create rich data flowcharts with flexibility. Simply choose your symbol size, shape, and Smart Line attributes, and click to place anywhere in your documents. Customize your flowchart's design with a wide variety of connection line and shape editing options, to suit your presentation requirements.
New in Version 12 - Enhanced Usability
- Efficiently Manage Your Work Area
- The Docking Pane saves you time and frees up valuable work space for visually complex projects. Instantly display, re-arrange, float or dock multiple Canvas palettes, and use the navigation tabs to further organize your space.
- Workflow Enhancements
- Numerous enhanced user and dynamic interface (UI) elements and new shortcuts make it a breeze to access improvements to features such as Acre, Area of Object displays, new Properties Bar shortcuts, and X/Y Arrows of Direction.
Detailed Features - Technical Illustration and Enhancement
- Accelerate Your Productivity
- Stop wasting valuable time navigating between separate software programs. With Canvas 12, you can edit both vector objects and raster images in one environment, at the same time. Canvas also includes integrated capabilities with specialized applications and a complete set of professional publication tools to streamline your entire workflow.
- Draw and dimension with precision
Create visuals from both raw and technical data. Choose from a variety of methods to input your exact coordinates, and Canvas 12 accurately turns your data into strong, real-time visual content that you can then enhance, review and publish.
Resize and scale objects, add fill and stroke inks, widths and other attributes, and draw shapes -- all with measured precision and placement. Take advantage of specialized tools to draw rounded rectangles, complex polygons, cubes, spirals, grids and rectangular boxes in isometric views.
You can also draw and edit paths and curve segments using the control points that define them. Add, delete and move anchor points to reshape an object's path segments and overall shape.
- Add On-the-Fly Illustration Objects
- Instantly add re-usable dynamic objects to drawings or as the basis for symbol pen strokes and inks. Access thousands of commonly used and specialized technical symbols from Canvas 12's pre-loaded Symbol Library collection, or create your own custom symbols using any vector, text or composite object. You can also create custom symbol links and pen strokes, and manage them all with flexibility. Move, add keywords, and re-categorize symbols to match your unique workflow needs.
- Work Flexibly with Vector Objects
Illustrate, edit and augment all forms of complex visual objects with Canvas 12's wide variety of professional tools and powerful Sprite technology. New features allow you to rejoin segment objects into one and fill the intersections of overlapping objects with a single click, while its proprietary SpriteLayers and SpriteEffects can be used to apply image and transparency effects without affecting the original object. Channel and vector masks, as well as gradient transparency tools are all on hand for stunning visuals. Other specialized and precision drawing tools include:
- Paste Into command -- Paste almost anything into a selection within an image, including a selection of a raster image channel, or of a channel mask that's attached to an object.
- Perspective command -- Edit an illustration's vanishing point, and then apply custom perspective effects.
- Blend commands -- Creatively combine multiple objects with precise control over many variables. Blend dynamically, to a number of shapes, point to point, and more.
- Advanced text object tools -- Bind text to vector objects, wrap text within objects, apply vector effects to text including extrusion, and apply or write text to a specific vector object path.
- Add Comments and Mark-Up
- Use Canvas 12's annotation tools to add labels or callouts to your diagrams and illustrations, complete with custom and automated options such as single and multiple diagram line connections. Simply click within the drawing area to instantly create an annotation label object shape with connector lines, aka Smart Lines. Edit the inks, stroke widths, dash and arrow styles of your objects and lines, and easily format and edit notation text. And if you re-position the annotation label object, the Smart Lines connecting it to the illustration moves right along with it.
- Edit Geometry and Position Data
- Completely control vector object coordinates to ensure the accuracy demanded in many engineering and scientific work environments. Create illustrations from geometric data alone, or blend these precise data controls with more traditional illustration techniques in one seamless work environment. At any time, you can view a vector object's exact width and height, position, reference point and other coordinates via the Properties Bar, and adjust its numerical position for true precision.
- Save Time with Attribute Styles
- Attribute styles are saved sets of visual properties that you can instantly apply to any vector, text or group object. Quickly transform an illustration's appearance by controlling its fill inks, stroke widths or types, with just one click. Maintain consistency across documents and facilitate project workflow. Create new styles and edit saved styles with the Attribute Styles palette, and share them with other Canvas users.
- Ensure the Highest Levels of Precision
- Work with very small units of measure with engineered accuracy and control. Canvas 12's drawing engine fully supports the IEEE floating point standard used throughout the scientific, engineering, medical and biotechnology industries. Canvas is indispensable to professionals who work with images that contain up to 32 bits of floating point data per channel.
- Add Format Dimensions to Illustrations
- Canvas 12's Linear, Chain and Baseline Dimensioning tools precisely control horizontal, vertical, oblique and perpendicular distances; measure diameter, radius, angle, area and perimeter; and mark the centers of arcs and ovals. Plus, when using the Chain and Baseline Dimensioning tools, you can generate fully-editable dimension objects almost automatically.
- Work within Industry Standards
Create dimension objects that fully conform to existing industry and government standards, including:
- IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineer's) floating point standard
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute) U.S. Product and industry standards
- DIN (Deutsches Institut für Normung/German Institute for Standardization) internationally adopted standards
- JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) standards
- Accurately Place Objects
- Canvas 12's Smart Mouse tool features 14 types of advanced controls to facilitate demanding technical illustration workflows. Snap your vector objects to corners, centers of objects, midpoints, specified lengths or angles, edges, and more.
- Edit Object Path Data
- Control an object's path data and all aspects of its shape with Canvas 12's Object Path Editor. View and quickly edit the X/Y coordinates of individual path points in all common vector object shapes, from rectangles to lines to polygons to Bézier curves.
- Apply Filters to Images, Text and Vector Objects
Canvas 12's proprietary SpriteEffects technology effectively breaks down the barrier between vector objects and raster image effects. Easily apply traditional image-only blur, hue, saturation and other artistic effects, in multiple layers, to images, text and vector objects. Fine tune settings, change order, hide, or remove effects at any time -- the objects still retain all of their original editing capabilities.
SpriteEffects also allow you to create lenses, which are powerful containers for effects and can be used to create magnifying glasses and other viewing frames within illustration documents.
- Access Raster Image Editing Tools
Why work within limits? Canvas comes complete with a full range of pro-level tools for raster image creation, editing and augmentation, with the additional powerful capability of seamless integration into a vector object illustration workflow. Create, edit and augment raster images, including GIF, JPEG, TIFF, PICT, BMP and EPS, with a host of industry standard and specialized techniques, tools and filters. Design image compositions, retouch photos, paint and color-correct scanned images, create transparency effects and vignettes, age photos, clone pixels and much more.
Work with both raster images and vector objects at the same time to enhance objects and images in countless ways. Re-shape raster images with vector shape controls. Draw within a raster image, just as you would in a vector object. Convert simple raster images into vector objects, or choose an area of your vector object illustration and render it into a raster image. Raster images and vector objects get along beautifully together in Canvas's hybrid environment.
- Do More with Text
- You can accomplish almost anything with text in Canvas 12. Add professionally formatted and fully editable text to vector objects and raster images. Create multi-page text documents and technical publications using a full range of traditional text formatting and style tools. Format pages and columns, flow text, wrap, bind, proof and annotate. Canvas also includes text object creation and editing, which means you can handle text as you would a vector object - re-shape with precision, integrate into drawings, edit strokes, and more. Plus, save time by creating text symbols for ongoing use. When you're done, publish to over 80 formats and presentation media.
Detailed Features - Publishing, Presenting, and Collaborating
- Access Professional Publishing Tools
- With Canvas 12 on your side, there's no need to use a separate word processor or layout program. A full range of traditional text formatting and style tools are on hand to help you format pages, create columns, layout text, wrap and bind. Tap into editing, proofing and annotation tools to perfect your copy. Plus, create text symbols for convenient ongoing use of word segments.
- Create Documents for Every Purpose
Canvas 12 offers different document types for different purposes: Illustration, Publication, Animation and Presentation documents. Built-in templates are included for each type to help you hit the ground running.
- Illustration documents are used for all forms of vector object illustration and raster image creation and editing.
- Publication documents are ideal for single or multiple page technical publications, including two-sided facing pages. Take advantage of master pages to hold items that are to appear throughout the publication, multiple layers, and the Page Navigator palette to easily move among the document pages.
- Presentation documents are aimed for on-screen slide show presentations. Apply multiple layers, place background elements on a master slide, and choose from over a dozen slide transition effects.
- Animation documents are designed for the creation and editing of web (GIF) animation files. Frames adjacent to the current frame appear in the background, which is helpful for setting up object movement.
- Easily Annotate and Mark-Up
- Apply a host of editing, proofing and annotation tools in Canvas 12. Label and mark up technical graphics and access a wide variety of powerful visual augmentation options to clarify your content. You can even edit the appearance of annotation text. Annotate simple objects with single arrows, and multiple objects with multiple connected arrows -- when you move multiple objects, the arrows move right with them.
- Collaborate without Limits
- Share, discuss and develop projects in a free-flowing document exchange. Canvas 12's advanced import and export capabilities allow for the return of annotated illustrations to the high-end specialized formats where they originated, such as CGM and AutoCAD, without any original data loss.
- Share with Confidence
- Apply secure encryption and password protection whenever you save your Canvas document or export to Adobe PDF. You have full control over who can open, edit and print your designs.
- Create Rich Data Flowcharts
- Present visually complex information in a logical and easy to understand format. With Canvas 12's Flowchart palette you can design data flowcharts with unprecedented speed and flexibility. Simply select your symbol size, shape, and Smart Line attributes, and click to place. Customize your flowchart with connection line and shape editing options to complement the overall look and feel of your document.
- Print Professionally
- With Canvas 12, you can rest assured that your projects will look as good on paper as they do on screen. Canvas outputs multi-page Publication documents suitable for desktop and commercial printing, including PostScript printers. Professional print and color management tools, as well as all the advanced image and export formats needed for virtually any publication context, are all on hand. Avoid problematic color shifts and unexpected results by using the Kodak color management system to handle conversion between color systems, such as RGB and CMYK.
- Add Interactivity to Documents
- Inject life to your Adobe PDF and HTML documents. With Canvas 12's Link Manager palette you can insert hyperlinks, and export to HTML and Adobe PDF with links intact. Web publishing is supported by HTML and WebCGM files.
Detailed Features - Workflow Integration
- Integrate Seamlessly
- Import over 100 different file formats, including all standard visual formats and files from highly specialized workflows, such as DICOM, RAW, Binary filters, Scientific Imaging filters, CGM, and DWG (CAD). Apply advanced image data editing and measurement tools, and export to over 80 formats and professional presentation media. Experience end-to-end workflow and seamless integration within complex engineering and scientific software and work environments.
- Go with the Scientific Workflow
Accurately measure, analyze, import and export digital images with up to 32 bits of floating point pixel data per channel. Canvas 12 provides a world of possibilities for scientists, researchers, other professionals with advantages like:
- Native support for images with 8-bit, 16-bit and Real (FP32) data per channel, and over a dozen Image-J and NIH Image compliant filters.
- Direct access to numeric image data.
- Support for industry standard DICOM format files.
- Native support for images with 8-bit, 16-bit and Real (FP32) data per channel.
- The Image Data viewer, which provides direct numeric access to image parameters. Define the area of interest, copy, paste and view data in hexadecimal, signed and unsigned decimal, FP-2, FP-4 and FP-8 decimal formats.
- Binary Filters, including close, dilate, distance map, erode, make binary, open, outline, skeletonize and ultimate points.
- Scientific Filters, including arithmetic, binary logic, convolve, expression, image math, colorize, direct import and export of 8-bit, 16-bit and FP32 real image data in RAW format using ASCII or binary options, and direct import of DICOM format image files.
- Engineered to Perform
Canvas 12 assists in fully integrating complex engineering work environments. Engineers working in the space industry, commercial and military aircraft manufacturers, defense companies, heavy equipment manufacturers, semiconductor manufacturers, utility companies, and petroleum companies and more rely on Canvas as an essential part of their workflow.
Canvas 12 possesses an unmatched set of major engineering workflow features, including:
- 3D View and CGM support, as well as CAD-inspired dimensioning tools to create a seamless complement to AutoCAD 4 environments.
- Multiple dialog interface choices for inputting visual data.
- Editing of vector objects and raster images in the same document.
- More advanced vector illustration and graphic tools than any other application.
- Professional photo and raster image editing and enhancement capabilities.
- Unrivaled workflow file compatibility, with the ability to import over 100 formats and export to 80.
- An extended set of Bézier curve and polygon editing tools and effects.
- Engineering templates.
- Customizable arrowheads, speedy annotation and call-out tools.
- Advanced dimensioning and perspective tools.
- Seamlessly Work with Seismic Data
Earth scientists and geoscience specialists around the world have embraced Canvas 12 as an invaluable tool. Its CGM*PIP (Petroleum Industry Profile) Import filter has received acclaim for its ability to successfully work with files from UNIX-based seismic interpretation applications. They can also import raw seismic visual data, augment, annotate, color and edit it numerically, and then combine the results with professionally formatted text in a multi-page document ready for sharing -- all in a single environment. Throughout the process, illustrations and documentation retain the high level of accuracy demanded by scientists. They can even scale complex images while retaining relative spatial values.
Canvas' specialized seismic features include:
- Import Only Raw Seismic Data option that ignores wiggles or background images.
- Clip Only If Necessary, which eliminates clipping of rectangles if they don't clip assigned objects.
- Font Match to open the CGM Font Matching dialog box.
- Interpolation options, such as the Default defined in the PIP file, Off Always for no color interpolation, 1D Always that displays the background in baseline direction only, and 2D Always that displays the lines in biaxial interpolation.
- The Seismic Traces palette, which allows geo-professionals to examine traces in imported CGM files.
- Wiggle options to help visualize wiggles, with Lobes and Wiggle resampling controls.
- Handle CAD and DWG
Canvas 12 fits seamlessly into professional AutoCAD 3D workflows, with all the precision and flexibility you need from an advanced vector and raster illustration toolset, as well as full presentation and publishing capabilities.
Import, augment, precision edit, and publish CAD files in the Canvas environment. Its advanced AutoCAD DWG import filter means you can work with the latest versions of native AutoCAD files, and fit an AutoCAD drawing into a specified page format. In Canvas' 3D View, use step rotation on an X, Y, or Z axis, then edit and enhance color, scale, light source, and preview in Wireframe. Then use Canvas' full annotation features, designed especially for complex visuals, and publish in a variety of presentation formats for the ultimate in end-to-end workflow.