Max for Live from Ableton was created in conjunction with Cycling '74 and is an application that allows you to create all the instruments, effects and extensions you've ever wanted. Go beyond the common and predictable, and transcend the limits that conventional tools impose. Using the API, you can build completely unique synthesizers and effects, create algorithmic composition tools, or fuse Live and controller hardware into a new music machines.
Max for Live contains a comprehensive set of building blocks that you can use to build pretty much anything you can think of. These building blocks include basic objects such as "+", audio elements such as filters and oscillators, user interface objects, and a set of objects that regulate access to Live and hardware devices. The application includes a canvas where you can place and connect these objects with virtual wires.
You can build new devices from scratch, modify existing ones or simply use devices that others have made. Max for Live includes several ingenious example devices and plenty of tutorials to take you from using to tweaking, and then to building. The software's visual approach is a lot easier to get into than traditional programming, especially because you can immediately see and hear the effects of your changes.
- Build your own audio effects, MIDI effects and instruments
- Use the API to control Live Sets, tracks, clips, devices, notes, loops, parameters etc.
- Open up the device and you can edit, add controls, modify the signal flow and configure as much or as little as you want
- Devices made with Max for Live are perfectly integrated into Live's workflow and user interface
- You can manage Max devices just like Ableton devices, save presets or using automation and mapping
- Devices keep playing in Live while they are being edited in Max
- Extend your hardware's feature set - provides objects to access any hardware controllers that are connected to Live
- Includes a specialized version of Max for creating and editing Max devices (does not run independently of Max for Live)
- Comes with a selection of MAX devices that are ready to use out of the box for audio and MIDI processing, algorithmic composition, real-time performance and hardware control
- Comes with more than 40 devices from the Pluggo collection including audio effects and instruments, all re-built and optimized for use within Live
- 20 new MIDI and audio effects, ranging from common studio utilities like graphic EQs to creative MIDI utilities such as humanizers
- Includes hundreds of built-in Max objects for logic, MIDI, scripting, audio and video processing
- Includes more than 20 simple tools called "Building Blocks" that are an excellent introduction to Max programming and have all been carefully annotated to help you learn how they were made
- Includes step-by-step tutorials for learning to program with Max for Live
- Flexible user interface design - the UI can look like Live or completely different
- Supports video synthesis and animation via "Jitter" objects