The Profoto D4 4800 Air Generator is a 4800 W/s power pack that is both beauty and beast; beauty because of its sleek ergonomic design and intuitive controls and beast because it delivers all of that power in a mere 4.4 seconds with flash durations as short as 1/2700 sec.
And that’s just the beginning. The pack has just about every feature you could wish for. Power is distributed fully asymmetrically over its 4 channels across 7.8 stops in 1/10 stop increments. Push the control knob and switch to 1 stop increments. Output is displayed in the large LCD window in w/s or percentage of power. Modeling lights are adjustable to Max, Prop, ½ Prop, Max Prop or Off.
If you want to use a sync cord to trigger the pack there are 2 sockets. Want IR release? It's built in. But best of all the inclusion of the built-in Air receiver offers wireless release from optional Profoto Air Remote or Air Sync transceivers at distances up to 984’ (300 m). Use the optional Air USB transceiver to control, save and recall all wireless settings with a Mac or PC. With this rig you can control the pack from your computer in exactly the same way as if you were manipulating the settings physically.
The D4 4800 Air has a self-seeking universal power supply. Just swap the modeling lamps to match the voltage environment you’re shooting in. It’s compatible with all Profoto heads except The Pro-B and the Acute-B
- D4 Generators
- This enhanced flash generator from Profoto is the perfect combination of digital precision and versatility with analogue control and reliability. This gives you the immense possibilities of computer technology and the logical handling of a classical instrument. D4 generators grow with your demands. They are suited to all kinds of sophisticated photography such as still life, interior, people and product shots.
- Advanced Functions
- In producing the next generation of flash, design goals were set to give the pack a look and feel of the sophisticated, precise working tool it was conceived to be. From its sleek and ergonomic shape to its responsive controls, the Profoto D4 offers microprocessor regulation for consistent output, whether you work from the pack or control it from your computer. Even though D4 generators offer the most advanced functions, they are easy to use and almost self-explanatory.
- Computer Interface
- Today, with many photographers shooting digitally, camera controls are often just a mouse click away, working from the keyboard rather than the tripod. The Profoto D4 offers the same convenience, taking control to a new level. From your computer, all of the Profoto D4 controls are accessible exactly the same as if you had your hand on the control panel. Raise and lower power, turn on individual heads, change modeling light settings and set auxiliary functions. Precise control has never been simpler.
- Wireless Freedom
- The D4 4800 Air offers comfortable radio remote and reliable radio synchronization via the small, handy Profoto Air Remote or Profoto Air Sync transceivers (Air Sync - synchronization only). Profoto's Studio software makes it possible, in combination with the optional Profoto Air USB transceiver, to control, save and recall all settings wirelessly by a Mac or PC. The Air system works on 2.4GHz frequency for international use at distances up to 984' (300 m).
- Full Direct Control
- Designed from the ground up with a commercial photographer in mind, the all-new digital, Profoto D4 flash generators set the standard for consistency and control. The four channel asymmetric system allows direct control of each lamp head. Each head is controlled by a separate knob and corresponding high contrast LED panel. One D4 generator gives you the same possibilities as using 4 independent flash units.
- Precision Power Adjustments
- By rotating the knob, 1/10 f/stop adjustments are made. If the knob is pressed while rotating, full f/stop adjustments give the photographer unsurpassed control over an eight f/stop range. In addition, the energy can be asymmetrically distributed over a broad range. All four channels (power settings) in the generator can be also changed simultaneously by holding down the master button and turning any one of the used lamp head controls.
- Making Overall Output Changes Fast and Easy
- The individual LED displays for each channel can be set by the user to display the flash power in W/s or in relative f/stops and always shows the real output. In the W/s mode, the display indicates the actual watt-second output for each individual head. If you prefer, output can be expressed in f/stops, with 100% power being equal to 10 on the scale. With the reduction of one f/stop in power, the display reads 9. Likewise, a 1/10 f/stop change would read 9.1 and so on.
- Perfect Performance
- The D4 4800 offers flash durations from 1/2700 to 1/350 sec. and recycling times from 0.12 to 4.4 seconds In addition, from flash to flash and over the entire power range no shifts of the color temperature or f/stop will occur even if more than one head is used. This guarantees consistent results on crucial analogue and digital shoots.
- Universal Power
- In the range of 90 - 240V AC 50 / 60Hz, the D4 generators automatically adjust themselves to the mains voltage; only the modeling lamps may need replacing. Thanks to the 4 independent outputs, many jobs can be done with just one generator - a comfortable solution for the "pro on the go".
- Individually Controlled Modeling Lights
Preview the flash location 4 different ways:
Max: all model lights full power
Proportional: model light dims or brightens as power is selected for each head.
1/2 Proportional: same as proportional, but model light begins @ 1/2 power.
Max Proportional: flash head with the most power has auto-full modeling light, all other heads show modeling lights in proportion.