The Olympus PEN E-PL2 Digital Camera (Black) W/14-42mm II Lens (Black) is a dream come true for many photographers--with 12.3 megapixels, plus technology normally found in much larger cameras.
It features a PEN large-size image sensor that is 8 times larger than the ones in average point & shoot cameras. This sensor, combined with the TruePic V Image Processor, delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color and reduced noise, all the way up to ISO 6400. With state-of-the art noise reduction technology and 3 in-body image stabilization modes, users will realize clear images with all compatible lenses under most lighting conditions.
The E-PL2's iAuto mode automatically identifies the scene you're shooting (portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport) and adjusts the settings to optimize results. While in iAuto you can engage Live Guide control which lets you compose your picture, manipulate the image with various in-camera effects like softening backgrounds, adjusting colors, and brightness before taking the photo.
Adding to the dream, recording HD movies (720p) with the E-PL2 is simple thanks to an easy-to-reach record button on the back of the camera body. You can toggle back and forth between capturing stills and video which opens endless shooting possibilities. For example, you can shoot a portrait of a child and switch to video to capture the moment when he or she is playing with the dog that interrupted your shooting session.
This camera has 19 automatic scene-select modes which adjust camera settings according to the subject you are photographing plus 6 in-camera Art Filters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama and the new Gentle Sepia filter). These tools make image capture easy and can expand your creativity.
This E-PL2 comes with an M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II lens lens (equivalent to 28-84mm) which is extremely compact and lightweight. It has ED lens elements which deliver very high imaging performance, and despite its small size, it delivers amazing image brightness and contrast. It covers wide angle to short telephoto distances and is suitable for just about any kind of photography: portraits, everyday shooting, sports, and traveling.
- HD Movie W/Manual Control, Art Filter Movie, & Direct Movie Button
- Shoot movies at 30 frames per second, with high-quality sound, in 720p with available manual control over aperture and shutter speed. This new level of control allows you to express your vision exactly how you want in your HD videos. A Direct HD Movie Button switches you from still to movie mode with the press of a button. You can also capture HD video (720p) using one of the six Art Filters for more creative shooting options.
- Easy-to-Use Live Guide Control
- Seeing the results before you shoot can change the way you take a picture. Want more vivid or muted color in your shot? Want warmer or cooler hues? Want a brighter or darker subject, or a sharper or softer background? Or maybe you want to capture the fast-moving action of your subject with a little artistic blur, or perhaps freeze the action? Simply set the camera to iAuto, press OK to engage Live Guide, then press the up and down arrows on the back of the E-PL2 to easily slide through numerous photographic effects. Make adjustments and watch the LCD as the effects are made live -- before the image is captured! Live Guide also features a Tips section on how to compose a shot or shoot kids, pets, flowers and more.
- Built-in Pop-Up Flash
- Illuminate low-light subjects, reduce red eye, and fill in dark areas. Set the built-in pop-up flash to auto or control the amount of light the flash emits.
- In-Camera Art Filters
- With 6 in-camera Art Filters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama and the new Gentle Sepia filter) you can explore your artistic side while taking both still shots and HD video. The Art Filters can be applied as you shoot, no additional software required.
- 12.3 Megapixels
- The E-PL2's powerful 12.3 megapixel Live-MOS sensor packs a powerful high-quality imaging punch for such a compact camera, allowing you to capture more detail than ever before. The Live MOS image sensor delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and fine image details in both highlight and shadow areas.
- Truepic V Image Processor
- In addition to more detail, the image sensor, combined with the next-generation TruePic V Image Processor, delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and reduced noise, all the way up to 3200 ISO.
- In-Body Image Stabilization
- Say goodbye to blurry images. In both still and movie modes - the E-PL2 Image Stabilization excels. The E-PL2's three-mode In-body Image Stabilization system compensates for up to three shutter speed steps in the still shooting modes with any of its interchangeable lenses: Mode 1 for general shooting, Mode 2 for creative high-speed horizontal capture, and Mode 3 for high-speed vertical capture. The camera's Mechanical Image Stabilization automatically compensates for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens. In the Movie Modes the advanced Electronic Image Stabilization tracts the images both vertically and horizontally to achieve clear sharp movies, matching the performance of the in body IS.
- Compact Size, Interchangeable Lenses
- Olympus has packed a big sensor into a small camera. The stylish design of the Olympus PEN E-PL2 is much more compact than a traditional DSLR, but it still provides the option of interchangeable lenses.
- iAuto with iEnhance
- iAuto automatically identifies the scene you're shooting - portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport - and adjusts the settings to optimize results. iEnhance can be used in any mode, and automatically engages when using iAuto to enrich color in any subject, just as the human eye sees it.
- 22 Scene-Select Modes
- From portraits to sunset shots, the E-PL2 is equipped with 22 Scene-Select modes for effortless picture taking, including Fireworks, Sunset, Children, Macro and Panorama, to name a few. Capturing beautiful portraits is easy with the ePortrait Mode that enables you to smooth your subject's complexion. There are even three scene modes that are specific to shooting with the new conversion lenses to optimize the performance of those lenses.
- Dust Reduction System
- A Dust Reduction System assures spot-free images. Every time you turn on the camera, the patented Supersonic Wave Filter silently vibrates, flinging and collecting dust so that it cannot interfere with the picture imaging at any time.
- Autofocus Live View with Autofocus Tracking
- Keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects in focus. AF Live View displays subjects, in focus, on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way. AF Tracking locks your subject into focus and adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving.
- Multiple Aspect Ratio Shooting
- The E-PL2 lets you select one of four aspect ratios (4:3, 3.2, 16.9 and 6.6) that help frame your images to whatever proportions you'd like. Aspect ratios are available for still photo and HD movie capture, for everything from conventional enlargements to viewing on widescreen monitors.
- Accessory Port
- The E-PL2 includes a port (AP2) for new accessories including the MAL-1 accessory light, the Penpal Bluetooth accessory - which makes it easier than ever to share your images - as well as the VF-2 viewfinder, a detachable electronic viewfinder. The external accessory port also allows for connection with the new EMA-1 external microphone adapter for enhanced audio capture.
- This Bluetooth accessory plugs into the camera's accessory port to easily save albums, send pictures from your PEN to a smart phone or another PEN. This makes it easier than ever to share images to sites like Twitter, Facebook and Flickr. When the information is sent, it includes shooting location to make geo-tagging easier than ever before.
- Micro Four Thirds Mount
- The Micro Four Thirds Mount on the E-PL2 provides many key benefits, including the effectiveness of a digitally designed image sensor, an ultra-compact design, and expandability and compatibility with all Micro Four Thirds Lenses and Four Thirds System Lens via the MMF-2 Adapter.
- Media Cards
- The E-PL2 is capable of recording video to SDHC and SDXC media cards to accommodate large files. (SDHC Class 6 cards are recommended.) Videos, stills and high-fidelity audio can also be output via HDMI cable - direct to any HD television.