The iDC SYSTEM ZERO Standard Gearless Follow Focus with Viewfinder for Canon 7D is an affordable and versatile follow-focus system designed to lend cinema-like focus control to your DSLR videos. The system's gearless design means that, unlike most other DSLR follow-focus units, this one doesn't require the purchase of dedicated gears to match each lens you use. An adjustable focus wheel attaches to one of four dovetail slots on the sliding focusing plate, which in turn mounts to the dedicated base plate beneath the camera.
The base plate, designed specifically for the Canon 7D, can use any standard quick-release assembly for mounting onto a rig or tripod. It also accommodates the included Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0 viewfinder, which has been adapted by iDC with a custom quick-release bracket compatible with a Manfrotto 501PL sliding quick release plate. The custom loupe bracket makes it fast and easy to remove the loupe in order to use the camera's pentaprism viewfinder for still photography. Due to the unique design of each camera body, iDC SYSTEM ZERO Viewfinders are camera-specific and not interchangeable between camera body styles.
When not in use, the focusing wheel slides away from the lens and locks in place, or the combined baseplate/focusing plate/wheel can be removed as one piece (using an Allen wrench) for easy switching between video and stills shooting.
This Standard version works with most wide to short-telephoto lenses (see Compatibility spec). For larger, mid-range telephoto lenses, the XL1 kit--with its longer focusing plate--is required.
- Completely gearless follow-focus is designed for accurate and smooth focus acquisition.
- Along with the included iDC quick-release adapted Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0, this system accepts multiple LCD loupes including the Zacuto Z-Finder Pro, LCDVF, and other direct-to-LCD mount-style viewfinders.
- Four dovetail slots on the focusing plate provide focus wheel positioning for a wide variety of lenses from wide to short tele-photo.
- The sliding focusing plate design allows quick micro-adjustments of the focusing plate for lenses that fall in between the four provided slots.
- The slots' dovetail feature captures the wheel assembly for easy fitment.
- Focusing wheel accepts white graphic tape for making pre-focus marks.
- The focusing wheel port accepts industry standard Arri-style follow-focus whips and cranks.
- The system's included O-Ring is very tough, but if your favorite pet happens to get a hold of one, they're user replaceable.
- Optional spacer elevates the camera for better access to the thumbscrew while using tripod and monopod adapter plates. It also helps the balance when nose-heavy camera and lens combinations are used. Spacer offers 1/4"-20 and 3/8"-16 mounting holes for adapter plates.
- Machined from high quality, aircraft-grade aluminum and finished with soft edges for sleek looks and handheld comfort.
- Camera-specific camera plate offers pin registration for accurate fitment.
- SYSTEM ZERO is designed to be modularly compatible with iDC's SYSTEM ONE products. It can also be mounted to any shoulder rig that attaches by way of a 1/4"-20 fastener, or mounted to any adapter plate by way of either a 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16 fastener.