Dust. The plague of the digital camera world. Ricoh abhors dust, but loves an innovative camera that makes beautiful images. The GR Lens A12 50mm f/2.5 Macro Camera Unit 1 combats insidious dust with its ingenious design and puts numerous tools at your fingertips for making wonderful photographs. While the A12 can easily be mistaken for a lens, it's more than that. It's the lens and all the inner workings of the camera, including the sensor. That equals no dust on the sensor or in the lens.
Camera Unit 1, as Ricoh aptly refers to the A12, fits into the GXR System body, for full functionality. The GXR body has the LCD, controls, and ports, and it can fit any of the GXR Camera Units. Instead of switching out a lens whenever you want to achieve a new style of shooting, you switch out the Camera Unit.
The A12 is, as the name tells us, has the 50mm f/2.5 Macro lens that boasts 1/2x magnification for ultra close-up shots. In addition to the lens, however, the unit also has a 12.3Mp, 23.6 x 15.7mm CMOS sensor and a GR Engine III processing engine. A plethora of capture modes and settings are also at your disposal, as is a manual focus ring, and HD movie mode, among other functions.
- A Fundamental Lens for Photography - 50mm Fixed Focal Length
- The GR LENS A12 50mm lens has a focal length of 50mm. Part of its appeal is that it gives a natural visual field with an angle of view nearly the same as the human eye. The 50mm focal length is one of the most basic for candid photography. Compared to a wide-angle lens, a suitable distance is maintained from the subject, and the photographer is able to chat with the subject and elicit natural expressions to capture the person in a candid way without undue attention being paid to the camera. GR LENS A12 50mm is also a macro lens. The photographer can enjoy close-up photography to a maximum magnification of 1/2x and, from a wide open aperture setting, obtain images with excellent sharpness and high contrast and resolution to the edge
- System Enables High Dimension of Optical Performance
- GR LENS A12 50mm has a lens configuration of 8 groups and 9 elements. As a standard macro lens, there is nothing particularly unusual about this configuration, but making good use of the new system's advantage of not having to accommodate back focal length, we were able to design the refractive capabilities of each element in a more efficient and practical manner. Partly thanks to the use of a large-diameter aspherical element, this lens achieves a superior level of edge-to-edge resolution and image quality unimaginable for its small size. In addition, there is little vignetting so richly luminous, natural-form bokeh extends to the edge. The floating structure corrects various types of aberrations that tend to occur in close-up photography. Even at the minimum shooting distance, this lens gives excellent definition and sharpness worthy of the GR LENS name
- Beautiful Bokeh and Imaging Power - 23.6 x 15.7mm CMOS Sensor
- Even with the focal length unchanged, the larger the image sensor, the richer the bokeh that can be obtained. GR LENS A12 50mm uses a 23.6 × 15.7mm CMOS sensor, which is capable of making full use of superior GR LENS optical performance. With the low level of color and frame aberrations even near the edge of the image, refined bokeh can be enjoyed with the aperture wide open, and stopping down gives comfortably crisp resolution. In addition, the wide dynamic range and resolving power of the approximately 12.30 million effective pixels enhance the reproducibility of details and delicate tonal nuances. The result is high image quality that is more than adequate for large-format prints
- Maximum 1/2x Magnification for Full-Fledged Close-Up Photography
- Close-up photography at a maximum magnification of 1/2x is possible. Making good use of this magnification ratio, the photographer can enjoy greater freedom in creative close-up shots, moving back a bit to light the subject so it is not in the camera's shadow. The minimum shooting distance is approximately 7 cm from the front of the lens
- High Definition Movie Function
- GR LENS A12 50mm can shoot HD movies. Image size is 1280 × 720, aspect ratio 16:9, and frame rate 24 frames/second. Utilizing the high sensitivity (maximum ISO 3200) and the bokeh enabled by the F/2.5 aperture and the large image sensor, it is possible to create impressive movies with a different feel than those of standard video cameras. The GXR body has an HDMI connector, and for large-screen viewing of the movies shot, the GXR can be connected to TVs supporting HDMI
- Manual Focus Ring Provided
- Particularly when doing close-up photography, the higher the magnification ratio, the narrower the subject depth of field so it can be easier to focus manually (MF) than automatically (AF). GR LENS A12 50mm has a manual focus ring. When MF is selected as the focus setting, quick and intuitive focusing is possible using the focus ring. In addition, if the focus ring setting selected is AF+MF, after the AF focusing is done it is possible to turn the focus ring to make fine adjustments to the focus
- Other Functions
- Aspect ratio setting allows selection of 16:9, 4:3, 3:2, 1:1
- Continuous shooting at approximately 30 fps (picture quality: 1280 x 854)
- Shooting capacity with GXR body attached: approximately 320 images
- Additional Specifications
- Effective pixels: Approximately 12.3 million; Image sensor: 23.6 x 15.7mm CMOS (total pixels: Approximately 12.9 million); Focus range: Normal shooting: Approximately 30cm-infinity, Macro shooting: Approximately 7cm-infinity (maximum magnification 1/2x), Zoom: 4.0x digital zoom (3.6x for movies), 5.9x auto resize zoom (VGA); Focus mode: Contrast AF-based multi and spot AF; MF; Snap; Infinity (focus lock and AF assist); Shutter speed: Photos: 180-1/3200 second (upper and lower limits vary according to shooting and flash mode), Movies: 1/30-1/2000 second; Metering: TTL-CCD metering in multi (256 segment), center-weighted, spot modes with autoexposure lock, Mode: Program AE, aperture priority AE, manual exposure, shutter priority AE, move target function, Exposure compensation: Manual (+4.0 to -4.0 EV in increments 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV), auto bracketing (-2 EV to +2 EV in increments 1/3 EV or 1/2 EV); ISO sensitivity: AUTO, AUTO-HI, 200/400/800/1600/3200; White balance: AUTO, Multi-P AUTO, Outdoors, Cloudy, Incandescent Lamp, Fluorescent Lamp, manual settings, Detail: white balance bracketing; Flash range: 20cm-3.0m 7.8"-9.8'; Shooting mode: Auto, Program Shift, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual, Scene (Movie, Portrait, Sports, Landscape, Nightscape, Skew Correction), "My Settings"; Continuous mode: Number of pictures shot in continuous mode (RAW): Noise Reduction off or on (Weak): 4 pictures, Noise Reduction on (Strong): 3 pictures, Number of pictures shot in M-Cont Plus (1 set): HI (1280 x 854): 30 pictures (24 Frames/Sec), LO (4228 x 2848): 15 pictures (3 Frames/Sec); Picture quality: FINE, NORMAL, RAW (DNG); Image Size (pixels): Photos: 16:9 - 4288 x 2416, 3456 x 1944, 4:3 - 3776 x 2832, 3072 x 2304, 2592 x 1944, 2048 x 1536, 1280 x 960, 640 x 480, 3:2 - 4288 x 2848, 3456 x 2304, 1:1 - 2848 x 2848, 2304 x 2304, Movies (24fps): 1280 x 720, 640 x 480, 320 x 240, RAW: 16:9 - NORMAL: 17,800KB/frame, FINE: 19,515KB/frame, VGA: 15,587KB/frame, 4:3 - NORMAL: 18,387KB/frame, FINE: 20,157KB/frame, VGA: 16,124KB/frame, 3:2 - NORMAL: 20,946KB/frame, FINE: 22,967KB/frame, VGA: 18,337KB/frame, 1:1 - NORMAL: 13,991KB/frame, FINE: 15,333KB/frame, VGA: 12,273KB/frame, Large JPEG: 16:9 - NORMAL: 2,222KB/frame, FINE: 3,816KB/frame, 4:3 - NORMAL: 2,315KB/frame, FINE: 3,960KB/frame, 3:2 - NORMAL: 2,615KB/frame, FINE: 4,493KB/frame, 1:1 - NORMAL: 1,761KB/frame, FINE: 3,009KB/frame, Medium JPEG: 16:9 - NORMAL: 1,475KB/frame, FINE: 2,509KB/frame, 4:3 - NORMAL: 1,574KB/frame, FINE: 2,662KB/frame, 3:2 - NORMAL: 1,744KB/frame, FINE: 2,968KB/frame, 1:1 - NORMAL: 1,186KB/frame, FINE: 2,003KB/frame, 5M: 4:3 - FINE: 2,287KB/frame, 3M: 4:3: FINE: 1,474KB/frame, 1M: 4:3: FINE: 812KB/frame, VGA: 4:3: FINE: 197KB/frame; Battery life: Based on CIPA standard, DB-90: approximately 320 shots, Dimensions: Camera unit only: 2.7 x 2.3 x 2.8" / 68.7 x 57.9 x 71.3mm (including the lens barrel; excluding the connector), When mounted on the camera body: 4.5 x 2.8 x 3.0" / 113.9 x 70.2 x 77.1 mm (including the lens barrel); Weight (when mounted on the camera body): 0.9 lb / 423g (not including battery, memory card, neck strap, connector cap, or lens cap); Operating temperature: 32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C; Operating humidity: 85% or less; Storage temperature: -4 to 140°F / -20 to 60° C; System requirements: Windows 2000 Professional (SP4), Windows XP Home Edition (SP3 / Professional SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7, CPU: Windows 2000 / XP: Pentium III 500MHz or more, Windows Vista/Windows 7: Pentium III 1GHz or more, Memory: Windows 2000/Windows XP: 256MB or more, Windows Vista/Windows 7: 512MB or more, Available disk space on hard drive at installation time: 160MB or more, Display resolution: 1024 x 768 or greater, Display colors: 65000 colors or greater, CD-ROM drive: CD-ROM drive, USB port