The CGEM DX 1100 HD Computerized Telescope from Celestron features an EdgeHD Schmidt-Cassegrain optical system. This compound, or catadioptric, light-path employs a combination of mirrors and lenses that offer a large high-resolution aperture, a shorter tube length, and enhanced portability. This telescope has a 11" aperture, a focal length of 2800mm, and a focal ratio of f/10. The EdgeHD optics delivers pinpoint, aberration-free images even with the widest field eyepiece. They are designed to produce an extremely flat focal plane precise enough to match the strict tolerances of large commercial CCD detectors, allowing all stars to be in tight focus to the very edge of the chip. Mirror tension locks hold the primary mirror in place and reduce image shift. There are cooling vents to allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. It is Fastar compatible for fast f/2 imaging.
The optical path consists of a zero power corrector plate, a spherical primary mirror, and a secondary mirror along with a set of field flattening lenses integrated into the baffle tube. The resulting imaging plane is 3 times flatter than the field produced by a standard SCT telescope.
The StarBright XLT coatings are designed to produce fairly flat reflectivity across the spectrum, optimized for both CCD imaging and visual use. This high performance optical system utilizes multi-layer, anti-reflective coatings and high transmission Water White glass for the corrector lens. This results in a peak light transmission for the system of 89% at 520 nm.
The OTA comes with a very useful 9x50 finderscope fitted to its exterior. Due to its wider field of view, this ancillary optic can offer assistance in locating objects to view with the main scope.
Normal image orientation for the EdgeHD design is upside-down and reversed. The 2.0" diagonal inverts this image so it is right-side-up, but reversed. This diagonal directly accepts 2.0" eyepieces, and a 1.25" eyepiece adapter is included. It is packaged with a 23mm eyepiece.
The CGEM DX Mount is fully computerized with a database of over 40,000+ celestial objects, and it offers numerous design advantages. The CGEM DX is a sturdy and reliable mount with an excellent feature set that fills the niche between the advanced and pro series mounts. The software-assisted all-star polar alignment feature allows the viewer to choose any bright star for alignment of the mount's polar axis, even if the North Star isn't visible. Large hand-knobs offer easy altitude and azimuth adjustments. With just a standard hand-control alignment, the CGEM DX is capable of centering a star to within 5 arc minutes. The NexStar program's advanced pointing feature further improves the pointing accuracy to as low as 1 arc minute. Additionally, extended meridian tracking, nine available slew speeds from .5 to 5° per second, and a precision tracking system all combine to provide outstanding tracking and viewing performance
The CGE PRO style, 2.75" tripod legs holds the OTA securely while dampening vibration and steadying both imaging and visual observing.
The All-Star polar alignment procedure allows a user to choose any bright star, after the telescope has been aligned with 2 bright stars, and the software then calculates and assists with the telescope's alignment for more precise accuracy. NexRemote allows control of the computerized telescope from a personal computer. Everything that is usually done with the telescope's hand control can be done remotely from a PC or laptop. Software can be kept current with downloadable upgrades via the internet.
- Optical Performance
- Aperture: 11"
- Focal Length: 2800 mm / Focal Ratio: f/10
- High quality SCHOTT glass
- EdgeHD Schmidt-Cassegrain system for aberration-free imaging
- Premium StarBright XLT coatings for enhanced light transmission
- 23 mm eyepiece
- Construction Details
- Aluminum tube
- Mirror support knobs reduce image shift
- Filtered tube vents release hot air from behind the primary mirror
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port
- RS-232 port and cable for laptop/personal computer telescope control
- Autoguide port and Auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography
- Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control for operation of GoTo features
- 9x50 finderscope
- Assists in locating objects
- All mounting hardware is included in kit
- 90° Diagonal
- Accepts 2.0" eyepieces. A 1.25" eyepiece adapter is included
- Image orientation: right-side-up, laterally reversed
- CGEM Computerized Equatorial Mount
- One 22 lb counterweight
- Stainless steel tripod: 2.75" legs, accessory tray
- NexStar technology: 40,000+ object database, expanded information on 200+ objects, 100+ user-definable objects. Custom database lists famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number
- All-Star" polar alignment uses any bright star for a quick and accurate Polar alignment, even if the North Star is not visible
- Software features: mount calibration, database filter limits, hibernate, five alignment procedures
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Programmable periodic error correction (PEC) corrects tracking errors
- Low cog DC servo motors with integrated optical encoders offer smooth and quiet operation and long-term reliability. The motor armatures are skewed to minimize cogging which is required for low speed tracking
- Designated six-pin RJ-12 modular jack, ST-4 compatible guide port, Autoguide port, and auxiliary ports located on the electronic plate for long exposure astrophotography.
- Double line, LED backlit 16-character LCD hand control simplifies 'Go-To' operation. NexRemote software for computerized telescope control via RS-232 port. Flash upgradeable hand control, software, and motor control units. Product updates available over the Internet. Internal cable wiring for trouble-free setup and transportation.
- Precision machined 40 mm diameter steel Polar shafts supported by multiple tapered roller bearings and ball bearings