The Convergent Design Gemini 4:4:4 Uncompressed Video Recorder can record
12-bit RGB 4:4:4 uncompressed from cameras that output 12-bit, cameras like the Canon C500. Otherwise, Gemini records 10-bit uncompressed 4:4:4 video as DPX files to up to two Convergent Design 1.8" SSDs. The Gemini features dual SDI inputs and outputs and an HDMI output.
Weighing only a pound and recording the highest-quality HD formats to readily available removable media, the Gemini recorder is an ideal companion to compact cameras that feature 4:4:4 SDI output, such as the Sony PMW-F3.
That's not to say the Gemini isn't suitable for other large-sensor, small-form-factor cameras (such as the Panasonic AG-AF100) that feature 8-bit, 4:2:2 HD-SDI output; if nothing else, the advantages of bypassing the camera's compression still apply here. And there are professional-level workflow options like recording footage to both SSDs (for instant backup: planned future support – not currently supported) that serve well any serious digital cinema production.
But many of the features that set apart the Gemini are those that take advantage of 3G / dual-link SDI transmission. There's 4:4:4 recording of 1080p25 and 1080p23.98 for cinematic frame-rate capture. (Other formats as well as playback and recording functions will be supported with future firmware releases – not included.)
Another key feature that makes Gemini 4:4:4 a true tool for digital cinematography is its support for Sony's S-Log gamma function, which is available for the PMW-F3 via a firmware upgrade. When applied to footage, the S-Log look-up table (LUT) provides additional stops of latitude for a wide dynamic range, setting up recorded DPX files beautifully for any digital intermediate (DI) post-production workflow. You can simultaneously record S-Log video to one SSD (for online editing) and the same footage with other burned-in LUTs to the second SSD (for easier & faster creation of offline proxies).
Transferring footage to an editing system is simple. The Gemini 4:4:4 comes with an SSD-to-eSATA transfer station, so you can easily drag files to your Mac or PC and start editing either uncompressed files or with any editing codec in many popular NLE applications (currently the software supports Avid, Final Cut Pro, Premiere, Smoke, Flame, and DaVinci).
- Built-in 5" touchscreen LCD monitor for both live monitoring and playback, as well as menu navigation
- Records up to 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 uncompressed as DPX files.
- Support for S-Log and Log-C (Log-C via future firmware – not included) with user-programmable 1D LUTs. LUTs can be applied to either SDI output
- Record to two drives in sequence (future support for simultaneous recording, i.e., instant backup – not included)
- Video can be recorded with or without burned-in LUTs, on individual drive basis
- Playback controls include Play and Pause (future functions planned – not included)
- Touch-sensitive menu system with user-defined presets and customizable level of on-screen data
- Mic input & headphone outputs (3.5mm)
- Milled aluminum case