The Glyph PortaGig 62 2-Drive RAID Array is similar to the GT 062E in functionality but features a smaller form factor for greater portability and better space management. The PortaGig 62 comes with two internal SATA HDDs and offers bus-powered FireWire 800 (x2) and USB 2.0 (x1) interfaces for quick connection to a host computer without the need to carry an AC power adapter.
You also get an eSATA port, which by supporting a maximum transfer rate of 3 Gbit/s (300MB/sec) provides you with the necessary speed for quickly and reliably moving even voluminous files to and from the computer. When connecting via eSATA, you can power the drive by separately hooking up a FireWire 800 cable or by plugging in the included AC adapter.
The two drives in the PortaGig 62 are configured, by default, into a RAID 0 system which writes data to the two drives at once. With its significant improvement in read and write drive performance, RAID 0, also known as striping, is the preferred RAID method in audio and video production.
For fail safe operation, you have the option of changing RAID 0 into a RAID 1 configuration, which offers redundancy by using the second drive to mirror all the information of the first drive. In RAID 1 mode, should one drive fail, all of its information can be retrieved from the other functioning drive. Also supported is a Spanning mode, in which the drives show up as one large volume. And while Spanning mode doesn't offer any benefits in the way of speed or redundancy, it does you give the full capacity of both drives.
The GT 062E incorporates a fan-based cooling system and also uses its aluminum protective casing to dissipate heat away from internal drive components. Included with the drive is the Glyph Manager program which continuously monitors the health of the drive and will alert you to any problems involving drive error, rebuild failures, or a malfunction in the cooling system. Alerts show up in the form of an icon in the Mac OS X dock or as an error balloon on a Windows System Tray. By staying informed of any potential problem, you have a chance of remedying the situation before it leads to a critical system failure and permanent loss of data.
- Configurable in Three Drive Modes
• RAID 1 offers data redundancy and real-time backup by writing the same data to the two hard drives at the same time. Should a drive failure happen, data is still available on the remaining drive.
• RAID 0 (striping) increases the performance of the drive system by spreading the data across two drives. RAID 0 is a proven technology for editing video, working with huge graphics files, sound libraries, and streaming instruments that play hundreds of samples simultaneously. RAID 0 is the default shipping drive mode.
• Spanning mode simply shows the two internal drives as one large volume.
- A Cool Drive is a Healthy Drive
- The PortaGig 62 uses a quiet internal fan for maximum airflow and proper cooling. The case is designed with front-panel ventilation holes to draw cool air in, while exhausting warm air out the back - critical to the performance and reliability of the components.
- Health Monitoring Built In
- If a drive in your PortaGig 62 experiences an issue, Glyph Manager software will warn you before it becomes a real problem. Along with setting the RAID mode, Glyph Manager constantly monitors Glyph drives using S.M.A.R.T. (industry-standard drive diagnostics), and reports the health to you. If a problem is detected, the front LED will blink red, and Glyph Manager software will alert you, allowing you to backup your data before any is lost. No other desktop drive has a diagnostic utility as smart as Glyph Manager.
- Designed and Tested in the USA
- Using high quality components, the drive is assembled in Glyph's US factory, and undergoes regimented testing before it ships to you.
- 3-2-1 Warranty
- Confident that the drive performs at the most reliable level, Glyph backs it up with a 3- Year warranty, 2-Year Free Basic Data Recovery Policy, and 1-Year Advance Replacement (U.S. Continental 48 States only).