The Starnex CamBall SG-31 Wearable Camcorder with Motion Detection is a tiny camera – the size and shape of a golf ball, minus the dimples – that lets you record hands-free in a number of different useful modes. The CamBall SG-31 features motion detection, so it can be set up as a security camera. It also can be set for interval recording (for instance, it can be set to record for 10 seconds once every ten minutes) in its "Angel Recording" mode – a useful feature for those who want an affordable, discreet "nanny cam."
In any case, the camera records MPEG-4 video to a microSD card (a 2 GB card is included) for extremely efficient video and audio capture. When it's connected to a USB power source, the CamBall SG-31 can record up to 48 hours of continuous 320 x 240 (30 fps) video to a 16 GB card (not included). For recording motion detection, that figure jumps to 64-576 hours, depending on how much motion is detected by the tiny, spherical SG-31 camera.
The CamBall also comes with a full complement of cables, including a USB/AV cable for powering the device, transferring files to a computer, and outputting the recorded video to a monitor. There's also included headphones and an adapter for plugging the headphones into the mini-USB port of the camera. This serves the CamBall's MP3 playback mode; just load up one of the SG-31's file folders with your favorite tunes, and you're ready to rock.
For action-sports enthusiasts, the CamBall's status as a wearable device holds special promise: using the included rubber-lined sports band, you can secure the CamBall to your helmet, letting you record your body's adventures at the outer limits of Newtonian physics. There's also a necklace mount for carrying the CamBall more casually around your neck.
Playback is possible using the included USB/AV cable. Connect the familiar red and yellow plugs to your compatible TV or PC monitor, and review the day's recorded files. Using the same cable, live monitoring is also possible to the optional SG-94 LCD monitor (not included).
- Included holder lets you position the camera securely on a flat surface
- Captures digital still images at 640 x 480 resolution
- In Vehicle Recording mode, the CamBall records via motion detection when the ignition is turned off, and it records continuously when the vehicle is running
- Time stamps can be overlaid throughout surveillance and vehicle recordings
- Optional Vehicle Pack (not included) lets you mount the CamBall to your vehicle's dashboard, and optional Car Adapter (not included) draws power from your car's lighter
- When connected to an external display device, CamBall's settings can be edited visually
- StarEncoder PC software for playback, editing, and easy upload of your finished video to sharing sites such as YouTube
- CamBall Manager PC software for configuring the camcorder (recording quality, frame rate, brightness, contrast, flip vertical, etc.)
- NTSC/PAL monitoring output is selectable
- 30 fps and 25 fps recording for NTSC/PAL compatibility
- Slower frame rates for longer recording times: 1, 3, 7, and 15 fps
- Included USB cable & adapter recharges the internal Lithium-polymer battery and can power the camcorder directly