Cineform NeoScene Version 5 is a software file-conversion program designed especially for the legions of professional and serious amateur videographers who've ever feared for how their HDV footage would hold up once effects were applied, or wondered whether an MTS or M2T file was ever going to play back in their NLE.
NeoScene transforms difficult-to-edit HDV, AVCHD, and Canon 5D/7D/T2i footage into the 10-bit CineForm intermediate codec, interpolating a 4:2:2 color space out of the recording format's 4:2:0 chroma. Depending on your OS, the software wraps these files as AVI or MOV, and it supports ProRes if you have Final Cut Pro installed. You can select from among three levels of encoder quality, to control how much hard drive space you want to commit to a specific project.
The software also can extract the cinematic 24p (for North America) or 25p (for Europe and Japan) frame rates from material that was shot as 60i/50i, an inverse telecine process that results in a look that's much closer to film than the initial interlaced format allows. This de-interlacing can also be applied to 60i video to produce 30p.
- 4:2:2 Chroma Interpolation
- Most HDV and AVCHD camcorders record chroma (color) in a format known as 4:2:0, which is half the color resolution of more professional 4:2:2 formats. When NeoScene detects 4:2:0 chroma it properly interpolates the source chroma to 4:2:2 for more accurate color processing during editing and effects work. And if you ever key your material, CineForm's chroma interpolation will substantially improve your resulting visual fidelity
- NLE Compatibility
- NeoScene is compatible with Adobe Elements, Adobe CS3/CS4/CS5, Sony Vegas, and Movie Studio for Windows; Adobe CS5, Apple Final Cut Pro, and iMovie for Mac; and Avid Media Composer v5 for both platforms. For After Effects, NeoScene is compatible via Video for Windows (Windows) or QuickTime (Mac) interfaces
- File Compatibility
- Because CineForm files use industry-standard AVI or MOV wrappers, they are compatible with virtually any video application that supports standard interfaces, including from Adobe, Apple, Avid, Microsoft, and Sony
- ProRes Support
- NeoScene will create ProRes files as the destination format if Final Cut Studio is installed on your Mac
- Image Processing
- During conversion, NeoScene can perform inverse telecine (24p extraction from 60i) and de-interlacing (30p/25p from 60i/50i)
- Sharing Media
- CineForm offers a free decoder available for both Windows and Mac to allow you to share your CineForm media easily with others