The ATM-80 3.1" / 80mm Spotting Scope (with Eyepiece) from Swarovski Optik features an objective element made with extra-low dispersion glass providing a remarkable image with superior edge resolution. Color fringing is nearly eliminated. Intricately-patterned subjects will have more crisp delineation, something enthusiastic birders will greatly appreciate, and the more refined color rendition can give an impression of enhanced brightness. However it is defined, it would be hard to conceive of a better view originating from a prismatic refractor telescope. And this is a scope which could accompany any tough hike without weighing you down.
The included Swarovski 25-50x Zoom Eyepiece is watertight and compatible with the ATM/STM, ATS/STS series and the CTS Swarovski spotting scopes. It has a truly wide AAoV of 66° @ 25x and 85° @ 50x. A glass cover protects against dust and dirt even when the eyepiece is removed. The bayonet connector allows quiet and easy inter-change of eyepieces while an automatic safety mechanism guards against accidental unscrewing of the eyepiece. There is also a protective eyepiece cover.
The ATM-80 also has Swarovski's latest external coatings for repelling moisture, dust, and debris. The non-stick effect of the SWAROCLEAN coating on the outer surface of the lens makes cleaning the objective and eyepiece lenses considerably easier and adds to the longevity of the optics.
The ATM/STM series features a fully magnesium housing construction which reduces a few precious drops of weight without giving up an ounce of integrity.
This is the angled version of Swarovski's 80mm scope. Generally speaking, angled scopes are better for viewing elevated subjects and are unquestionably easier to share amongst a group of observers. An angled scope requires a bit of experience to find subjects in the scope, although the ATM-80 does have a side-mounted peepsight to aid initial locating.
- Optical Performance
- 80 mm objective
- 25-50x Zoom Eyepiece
- BAK4 prism optimizes light transmission
- Fully multicoated on all air-to-glass surfaces
- Wide apparent angle of view is 66° @ 25x and 85° @ 50x
- SWAROCLEAN non-stick proprietary external coating makes cleaning easier increasing the longevity of the optic
- Use and Handling
- Angled viewing
- Helical focusing is fast and accurate
- Tripod mounting: 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16
- Side-mounted peepsight to aid initial locating
- Rotating tripod collar with detented click stops
- Integral retractable lens hood shades and protects objective
- Construction Details
- Lightweight magnesium housing is water and fogproof
- Nitrogen purged and sealed for water and fogproof performance
- Porro prism design offers maximum image quality, enhanced durability, traditional styling