The DS411slim DiskStation 4-Bay NAS Server from Synology is an excellent way to consolidate, store, and stream data or multimedia files within your home or small business. While no drives are included with the DiskStation, it supports a maximum capacity of 16TB and holds up to four 2.5" SATA hard disk drives. Regardless of what drives you choose, the DiskStation can configure them in a RAID 0, 1, 5, 5+Spare, 6, 10 or JBOD configuration.
This DiskStation is all about seamless performance and power conservation. It has a small footprint so it doesn't take up a lot of space. It also features a Scheduled Power On/Off feature for saving energy. The 2.5" SATA HDDs that it supports reduces your carbon footprint and prolongs the life of their drives by producing less vibration than its larger 3.5" counterparts. The smart fan minimizes noise level by turning off during normal operations and spinning at a very low speed only when needed.
With the included Gigabit LAN port, you can connect the DiskStation to your router and access it locally on your network with a variety of different devices as well as cross platforms. On your local network, you can stream content to and from the DiskStation with your computer or to computers with different operating systems, such as Windows, Mac or Linux. It can also stream to UPnP devices such as a stereo system or a TV as well as to Sony Playstation 3 or Microsoft Xbox360. You can also remotely access photos or music on the DiskStation with your iPhone or iPod touch or view photos on any mobile device with Internet access and running Windows Mobile 6.0, iPhone OS 2.2.1 (or greater), and Symbian OS 9.1.
The DiskStation can function in a variety of ways. You can use it to store and stream photos, videos, music or data within your home, office or over the Internet to select users. You can also use this device as a server for FTP, Mail, printing, iTunes, photos, videos, website hosting, surveillance webcam operation or downloading http, FTP, eMule and BitTorrent files. You can also initiate immediate backups or create scheduled backups for your Windows or Mac computers connected to your network. In addition, the DiskStation has two USB ports that support connections to USB speakers and printers as well as an eSATA port for external hard drives.
Green, Quiet and Reliable
- Eco-Friendly Design
- The DS411slim DiskStation is designed to work with 2.5" SATA hard drives. The low power consumption characteristic of 2.5" SATA hard drives will lower your electricity bill as well as reduce your carbon footprint. In addition, 2.5" SATA hard drives have reduced vibration, increased MTBF (mean time before failure) and shock tolerance, which not only extends the hard drives lifespan, but also provides better reliability. The smart fan design keeps the DS411slim's fan off under normal operations and spinning up at a very low speed only when needed, thus minimizing the noise level
- Lower Power Consumption
- This DiskStation is designed and developed perpetually with the concept of energy saving. Compared with average PC counterparts, this DiskStation consumes a relatively low amount of power and hibernates when not in use. This not only helps to save energy but also extends the lifespan of the hard disk. This DiskStation has a Scheduled Power On/Off feature that further helps conserve power
- RoHS Compliant Parts
- All Synology products are produced with RoHS compliant parts and packed with recyclable packing materials. Synology recognizes its responsibility as a global citizen and is continually working to minimize the environmental impact of its products
Flexible RAID Management
- Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)
- The Synology Hybrid RAID automatically builds an optimal RAID volume with data protection based on the hard drives installed, eliminating the need to have hard drives of identical size, while still offering a manual setup option for advanced users
Cross Platform File Sharing and Backup
- Seamless Streaming
- This DiskStation is designed for data storage and sharing among Windows, Mac and Linux computers. Seamless file sharing across different operation systems is an effortless process. Internet file access is simplified by the encrypted FTP server, the web-based File Browser and File Station. HTTPS, firewall and IP auto-block support ensure file sharing over the Internet is protected at a high security level
- Centralized Backup
- This DiskStation offers a centralized backup target to consolidate fragmented and unstructured data across a network. PC users can back up their data to the DiskStation using the free Synology Data Replicator software while Mac OS X users enjoy native Apple Time Machine integration
- The Wizard and the Cloud
- A web-based backup wizard is provided for backing up data in the DiskStation to another Synology DiskStation or any rsync server via an encrypted transmission as well as to an external hard drive via USB or eSATA connection. In addition, backing up to the cloud using Amazon S3 service is also supported
Build Your Entertainment Center
- Download Station
- This DiskStation can function as a Download Station, which can download BitTorrent, FTP, HTTP, eMule, and NZB files around the clock without a PC. The eMule download engine allows "search-n-download" capabilities with a web browser without requiring the installation of additional desktop applications
- Audio Station
- As an Audio Station, this DiskStation supports music, Internet radio stations, and iPod playback with optional speakers. An optional direction-free Synology Remote allows you to freely enjoy your music from a distance and streaming mode allows your music to be shared with multiple users over the Internet
- DLNA/UPnP Compliant Media Server
- As a DLNA/UPnP Compliant Media Server, this DiskStation can stream multimedia files to a stereo system or a TV, if you have an UPnP Digital Media Adapter. It can also stream content to the Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox360
- iTunes Server
- As an iTunes Server, this DiskStation can share music and videos with other iTunes clients within the local network. Password protection prevents unauthorized sharing