The Fraunhofer Pro-Codec v2 from Sonnox is a plug-in designed for the real-time auditioning, encoding and decoding of audio signals. Previously it has not been possible to critically audition and then encode multiple formats in real-time within a host DAW environment. The plug-in makes this possible, and includes extensive monitoring tools and built-in encoding/decoding features.
Also available within the plug-in is a fully featured off-line encode window allowing for compressing WAV or AIFF files for offline batch processing with the codecs and settings of choice. In cases where an encoded file needs to be imported into a project but the host does not recognize the file format, the plug-in has an offline decode section.
Using this plug-in mix engineers can produce mixes optimized towards specific codecs that ensure maximum fidelity. Similarly, mastering engineers may audition program material in the final file format and produce compensated masters for final encoding and distribution.
Version 2 Adds 64-bit Compatibility
- Master for iTunes
- Version 2 of the Fraunhofer Pro-Codec plug-in includes Apple's iTunes Plus codec. Mix or master directly for the "Mastered For iTunes" program, monitoring the same iTunes encoding chain in real-time. This codec is only available on Mac.
- Surround Formats
- Version 2 also adds 64-bit support, and Fraunhofer's MPEG Surround codecs, to complement the existing MP3 Surround codec.
- Supported codecs:
- Ability to select up to five codecs for simultaneous export, in real time, to encoded files
- Comprehensive auditioning with glitch less switching
- Ability to audition the difference between input signal and codec output
- A/B auditioning in real time between codecs, or between codec and input signal
- ABX mode for blind statistical testing
- Graphical displays include:
- Off-line encoding and decoding
- Compatible with many digital audio workstation applications, including Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Sequoia and Wavelab (Mac and PC)
mp3, AAC-LC, HE-AAC, and HE-AAC v2
mp3 Surround, MPEG Surround, AAC-LC multi-channel, HE-AAC multi-channel
mp3-HD and HD-AAC (lossless codecs)
Apple AAC iTunes+ (Mac only)
High resolution display of the Input signal and Diff signal
Indication of the audibility of audio removed by the encoding process
Bit stream levels and ability to compensate for overloads
Indication of file size or data stream compression