The Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Digital Camera is a finely crafted, truly satisfying camera that makes it easy for people who have never even used a digital single lens reflex camera to take beautiful shots and gives professionals a powerful tool for creating photographic masterpieces that visually express the emotions of their subjects.
The DMC-L1 is operated much like a traditional film camera but provides a variety of innovative features that increase the fun of shooting photos. While the DMC-L1 is digital, it has a classic design that will remind users of traditional Rangefinder cameras. These characteristics, together with a shutter speed control dial on the camera body and an aperture ring on the Leica D Vario-Elmarit lenses that are available for the camera, distinguish the DMC-L1 from conventional digital SLRs in both design and operation.
The DMC-L1 also offers a full-time Live View function through the large 2.5" high-resolution LCD, which offers a shooting style different from conventional digital SLRs that have only an optical viewfinder. The full-time Live View is made possible by the Live MOS sensor. Used in the DMC-L1, the 4/3-type Live MOS sensor with 7.5 million pixels provides both the outstanding image quality of a CCD and the low energy consumption for which CMOS sensors are known. The DMC-L1 also incorporates the Venus Engine III image processing LSI, which teams up with the Live MOS sensor to achieve stunning picture quality and responsive performance, with features such as rapid consecutive shooting. Furthermore, the DMC-L1 incorporates a Supersonic Wave Filter that serves as a dust reduction system, so you don't have to worry about dust entering the camera during lens changes.
- 7.5 Megapixel Live MOS sensor
- The 4/3-type Live MOS sensor used in the DMC-L1 not only makes full-time Live View possible, it also helps capture the beautiful images of a traditional CCD sensor with delicate gradation and a wide dynamic range, while also conserving power.
- Four Thirds Standard Lens Mount
- The lens mount system used in the DMC-L1 is based on the Four Thirds open standard. This helps provide the optimal lens design for digital photography while also making it possible to create a lens that is small in size without sacrificing focal distance or brightness. Use of the Four Thirds Standard also means the DMC-L1 can use lenses made by other manufacturers using the same standard-providing you with an extensive range of interchangeable lenses to choose from.
- Traditional Camera Controls
- The DMC-L1 features a shutter speed dial on top of the camera body. While the Leica D Vario-Elmarit lenses that are available for the camera are equipped with an aperture ring, in addition to a focus ring and zoom ring, for easy, direct aperture setting.
- Full-time Live View
- By combining the full-time image output function of the Live MOS sensor and a mirror-up mechanism, the DMC-L1 achieves a full-time Live View function that displays the image on the LCD directly from the sensor signal.
- Venus Engine III LSI
- The Venus Engine III has been developed to maximize the performance of the Live MOS sensor, providing superior color reproduction and detailed gradation, and reduces image noise to help render smooth images. The Venus Engine III improves camera responsiveness too, supporting high-performance consecutive shooting and a short shutter interval.
- Energy Efficient Design
- The 4/3-type Live MOS sensor suppresses energy consumption as only a CMOS sensor can do. Furthermore, the Venus Engine III consumes less power than previous Processors. The combination of these two energy efficient elements means low energy consumption to provide longer battery life.
- Dust Reduction System
- A potentially annoying problem with digital SLRs that have interchangeable lenses is the possibility of dust getting inside the camera during lens changes, contaminating the image sensor. The DMC-L1 takes care of this problem by incorporating a Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system. The system uses supersonic vibration to instantly shake off any dust that might otherwise affect the image.
- Compatible with Standard and SDHC Secure Digital (SD) Cards
- The DMC-L1 is compatible with Secure Digital (SD) Memory Cards, and is compatible with the mass-storage SD standard based on FAT32 and the upcoming SDHC super-high-capacity SD Memory Cards with capacities of more than 2 GB.
- Includes Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Lens
- The Leica D Vario-Elmarit lens comprises 16 elements in 12 groups, including two aspherical lenses, and is based on the Four Thirds standard. Featuring a focal length from 14mm to 50mm (35mm equivalent: 28mm to 100mm), the lens is the first interchangeable lens from Leica developed exclusively for digital SLR cameras. It provides high definition image rendering that conveys even the finest details and nuances, and minimizes distortion and peripheral vignetting at the wide end. The lens incorporates MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), developed by Panasonic, and makes it possible - without using a tripod - to capture clear, beautiful images even in macro shooting or low-lit situations, giving users more shooting flexibility. And to assure precise control over the MEGA O.I.S., the Venus Engine is integrated into the lens unit. To improve operating ease, there is an aperture ring in addition to the focus ring and zoom ring, giving users more intuitive aperture adjustment.