The Canon EOS Rebel XS Digital Camera incorporates a number of high-end functions and technology found in Canon's professional SLR models, including an improved autofocus sensor, and an advanced Live View function. Plus the proprietary DIGIC III image processor ensures that the fine details and natural colors of the images are optimally recorded, and also manages the camera's efficient energy consumption and high-speed signal processing performance.
The 10.5 megapixel APS-C size CMOS sensor employs large microlenses over each pixel to reduce noise and enhance sensitivity up to ISO 1600. The camera also incorporates the Highlight Tone Priority and High-ISO Noise Reduction functions (previously found only on Canon's Professional Digital SLRs) and the camera is equipped with Canon's Auto Lighting Optimizer technology, which corrects image brightness and contrast automatically to prevent underexposure with backlit scenes.
The EOS Rebel XS is capable of continuously capturing 3 frames per second for bursts of over 500 images, or until the memory card is full, to help photo enthusiasts capture split second action at just the right moment. Plus, the camera is equipped with a host of useful creative controls, including shutter speeds ranging from 1/4000 - 30 seconds plus Bulb, and a wide range of exposure modes from fully automatic to fully manual.
The 2.5-inch high-resolution LCD monitor makes it easy for users to review images and scroll through the menus, and also features a broadened color gamut and a wide viewing perspective in all directions. Furthermore the EOS Rebel XS camera features Live View - which allows users to frame shots through the LCD screen rather than the viewfinder - which is particularly useful when shooting at odd angles or in situations when looking through the viewfinder is impractical.
The Rebel XS DSLR utilizes Canon's EOS Integrated Cleaning system. This involves a Self-Cleaning Sensor Unit that shakes dust particles off of the low-pass filter in front of the sensor, along with post processing with the supplied Digital Photo Professional software. Here the camera maps any spots that may remain on the sensor and subsequently subtracting dust spots from the final image during post processing.
The camera utilizes Secure Digital (SD & SDHC) memory cards, making it the perfect upgrade for users who are already using SD cards with a point-and-shoot camera, and it is fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses, as well as EX-series Speedlites, an optional Battery Grip, and remote control and viewfinder accessories. In regards to its overall design, the EOS Rebel XS camera features a substantial yet streamlined profile, with curved edges, contoured surfaces, conveniently placed controls and comfortably constructed rubber grip and thumb rest that all contribute to fatigue-reducing hand fit. The camera body is constructed of a rugged yet lightweight combination of stainless steel and polycarbonate embedded with glass fiber, and the chassis exterior is enrobed in a durable ABS and Polycarbonate resin that is resistant to impact damage.
- 10 Megapixel Resolution
- The CMOS image sensor of the EOS Rebel XS captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, incorporating many of the same technologies to maximize light gathering efficiency that are used in Canon's higher-end professional SLR digital cameras, including the use of micro lenses on the sensor. The APS-C size sensor (22.2 x 14.8mm) produces an effective 1.6x increase in the lens's marked focal length when attached.
- DIGIC III Image Processor
- Developed to maximize performance between the capture and recording stages of digital photography, the latest-generation DIGIC III Image Processor works in concert with Canon's CMOS sensor to achieve the highest levels of performance possible. The entire electronic system is designed to give the camera its incredible combination of speed and image quality, and digital noise is significantly reduced in shadow areas, while color reproduction is enhanced for superior image quality.
- Speedy, Precise Operation
- With instant startup times, speedy autofocus and minimal shutter lag, the EOS Rebel XS is one of the fastest cameras available today. It provides excellent performance with 3 fps continuous shooting, to over 500 full-resolution JPEGs or 5 RAW images in a burst, and reduced shutter lag time.
- High-Magnification Viewfinder
- The EOS Rebel XS incorporates a high-magnification viewfinder that provides excellent brightness and clarity; all relevant shooting information, including ISO, is displayed right in the viewfinder so it's easy to change settings without moving the camera away from the eye. Furthermore, the EOS Rebel XS has a Display-Off sensor that automatically turns the LCD monitor off whenever the camera is at the photographer's eye, to save power and reduce visual distractions.
- 2.5-inch LCD Monitor with Live View Function
- The EOS Rebel XS has a bright 2.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor with 230,000 pixels and a viewing angle of 170°. It's perfect for Live View composition or viewing camera settings like AF, ISO, Metering, AF Point selection and flash options. The Live View Function enables you to view your subjects directly on the LCD monitor, making it easy to grab odd-angle shots, and you can magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. You can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In Live View Function, the camera has two AF modes: Quick mode, which uses the camera's standard 7-point AF system, and Live mode, which is a contrast-based AF system that reads the sharpness of subjects right from the imaging sensor. A familiar feature in PowerShot cameras, Live mode AF uses similar technologies to achieve focus, while Quick mode is more appropriate for capturing action or for shooting in low light.
- Advanced & Adaptable AF System
- The EOS Rebel XS has a precision 7-point wide area AF sensor for fast, accurate focus even in dim lighting, and has a number of focus modes, including One-Shot AF, AI Focus AF, AI Servo AF and Manual. In Live View Function, the EOS Rebel XS has two AF modes: The Quick mode uses the camera's standard 9-point AF system, and Live mode, which is a contrast-based AF system that reads the sharpness of subjects right from the imaging sensor. Furthermore, in Live View, the camera can focus manually and provide users with 5x or 10x magnification to ensure focusing clarity.
- 35-zone Exposure Metering
- The EOS Rebel XS incorporates a 35-zone evaluative metering system with improved white balance that analyzes light based on each zone in the viewing area, thereby enabling the camera to choose the overall best exposure for the entire scene. There is also a spot meter option, which reads a tiny area (about 4%) of the picture for extremely precise metering, and a Center-weighted average metering and partial metering for accurate exposure no matter the situation.
- Auto Lighting Optimizer
- The EOS Rebel XS includes Canon's exclusive Auto Lighting Optimizer, which can actually lighten dark areas of a scene while ensuring that bright areas maintain detail without getting washed out. In addition, it can increase contrast in "flat" lighting, such as overcast days.
- Picture Style Settings
- Picture Style technology provides photographers with the ability to change the look of their digital photographs, by allowing users to make adjustments to color, saturation, sharpness and contrast setting, and create noticeable variation in the saved image. Changing a Picture Style setting is akin to a 35mm film user switching from one type of color film to another. In addition to six preset Picture Style settings, Canon offers additional downloadable "Picture Style Files" that can be installed into your camera for even more imaging options at your fingertips.
- High-Capacity Memory Cards
- The EOS Rebel XS is compatible with popular Secure Digital (SD) and Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) memory cards. These cards are compact, inexpensive and available in increasingly large capacities, making them a perfect complement to the EOS Rebel XS.
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Keep dust off your image sensor and prevent dust from ruining your images with the advanced Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System. The EOS Rebel XS features a Self Cleaning Sensor Unit consisting of a low-pass filter at the front of the sensor that shakes off dust automatically with ultrasonic vibrations. This Self Cleaning Sensor Unit routine is automatically activated whenever the camera is powered on or off (It can also be manually activated), and a special collar positioned around the sensor collects the loosened dust. Plus there is a special coating on the front surface of the low-pass filter, to prevent dust from sticking to the sensor in the first place. Dust that may still remain on the front of the sensor can also be erased with the included Digital Photo Professional software, thereby ensuring the cleanest possible image.
- Compatible with EF & EF-S Lenses
- EOS Rebel XS is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF and EF-S lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Aspherical optics and fluorite elements, for example, are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Image Stabilizer technology - available in select lenses - minimizes the effect of camera shake.
- Advanced Flash Photography
- The EOS Rebel XS features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system. Whether using its flush-mounted integral flash or any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides reliable flash output through numerous exposures. Canon's Speedlite 430EX is perfectly suited to the EOS Rebel XS. It includes an AF-assist Beam, which works in conjunction with the EOS cameras focusing system, and automatically sends color temperature information to the camera when the flash fires, for more accurate white balance rendition with flash photography.
- Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk (Version 17.0)
The EOS Rebel XSi comes bundled with an updated Canon EOS Digital Solution Disk, which features powerful software programs designed to extend the EOS experience to the computer. Each application is designed to perfect the captured images and streamline the digital workflow.
- Digital Photo Professional 3.3 is an image processing program that enables high-speed RAW image processing, high-speed previewing for real-time image adjustment and support for sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. Because it's CMS (Color Management System) compatible, Digital Photo Professional allows for easy image layout and printing in Adobe RGB in conjunction with Easy-PhotoPrint and PictBridge printers. It also features the Dust Delete Data Detection tool for cleaner images.
- EOS Utility 2.3 (Windows & Macintosh) handles the connection between the camera and computer, whenever they're connected via USB. It allows remote controlled shooting from the computer, handles downloading of images from the camera to the computer, and allows seamless linking to either Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional software once images have been copied to the hard drive. Furthermore, it's used to upload settings back into a USB-connected camera.
- ZoomBrowser EX 6.1 for Windows (Vista compatible) and ImageBrowser 6.1 for Mac OS X are the easy, user-friendly options for viewing and editing of JPEG and even RAW image files. Both allow viewing of numerous types of images including finished TIFF and BMP files. Both also have a variety of search options for finding images, allow re-naming of single images or batches of files, and offer a variety of options for printing without using a separate image-editing program.
- RAW Image Task 2.8 (Windows & Macintosh) is an integrated component of ZoomBrowser EX (Windows) or ImageBrowser (Mac) that allows processing of RAW images from EOS cameras with a variety of adjustment possibilities. These options, as well as the overall color, contrast and "look" of RAW Image Task, closely mimic the characteristics of Canon's in-camera JPEG processing.