Cloaked in classic black, the Olympus E-P2 is a hybrid photo and HD movie camera that boldly brings fun and simplicity back to SLR quality. It is part of the Micro Four Thirds (4/3) camera system that enables pro-quality still and video imaging abilities in a small, unassuming package. Along with a line of compact M.Zuiko digital lenses, the system is compatible with all existing 4/3-format fixed-prime and zoom lenses from 7mm through 800mm (114° to 1.5° AOV).
The camera is essentially a 4/3-format DSLR minus the prism and mirror housing, hence the smaller body size. Images can be composed and edited using the E-P2's 3" HyperCrystal LCD, which features anti-reflective coatings on its surface to enable live viewing of 100% of the image area under the brightest of lighting conditions. When shooting with manual focus, a 5x magnification of the center of the frame pops up as a focusing aid each time you adjust the focusing ring. (This magnification can be can be manually increased up to 10x.)
The E-P2 features a port for the optional VF-2 electronic viewfinder or the optional EMA-1 external microphone. Clad in ergonomically-designed stainless-steel body panels, the Olympus E-P2 takes many design queues from the Olympus Pen F, a popular half-frame SLR that made its initial debut in 1959. But unlike the original Pen F, the E-P2 has the ability to produce vividly-detailed still photographs and HD video with stereo sound, both of which can be enhanced post-capture using the E-P2's advanced in-camera retouching and audio dubbing tools.
The E-P2 includes a picture mode called iEnhance, which analyzes colors and brightness. The new mode mimics what the naked eye sees. For example, a beautiful sunset looks awesome in person and generally seems to fade when captured in an image. With iEnhance, the warm yellow and orange colors are heightened to be brilliant and closer to the actual scene. The result is exceptionally clear imaging with a dramatically lifelike color. iEnhance can be used in any shooting mode - from program to manual - and automatically engages when in iAuto. This, along with the 8 art filters, allows you to take perfect, creative images.
Other features found on the Olympus E-P2 include i-Auto mode, dust reduction technology, in-camera image stabilization-which enables low-light hand-held shooting with all 4/3-system lenses, advanced shooting modes, and creative post-capture editing tools.
This kit includes a compact 14-42mm M.Zuiko Digital zoom lens, which with an angle-of-view of 74-28.5°, is an equivalent to a 28-85mm lens on a full-frame DSLR.
- Compact Design with Pro-system Capabilities
- The Olympus E-P2 combines the casual, easy-to-use persona of a pocket-size point-and-shoot camera with the imaging capabilities of a pro-level DSLR. As an extension of Olympus' proven 4/3 imaging system, the E-P2 can shoot casual stills and video as well as complex images with equal ease and precision.
- High-Definition Stills and Video
- The Olympus E-P2 enables high-definition capture of still and video images while maintaining full auto-focus functionality and image stabilization with all 4/3-format optics. And unlike video-enabled DSLRs, the Olympus E-P2 maintains full AF in video mode.
- Manual Movie Mode
- Manual movie mode allows for independent control of aperture and shutter for expanded exposure and creative control when shooting HD movies.
- C-AF Tracking and AF Target Registration
- The E-P2's C-AF Tracking and AF Target Registration locks your subject into focus, and constantly adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving.
- iAuto mode
- This intelligent-auto mode uses advanced automatic detection technology to allow the camera to recognize the six most commonly used scenes automatically.
- iEnhance for Radiant Colors
- iEnhance analyzes colors and brightness and mimics what the naked eye sees. For example, a beautiful sunset looks awesome in person and generally seems to fade when captured in an image. With iEnhance, the warm yellow and orange colors are heightened to be brilliant and closer to the actual scene.
- HDMI Control from Your HDTV Remote
- Connect the E-P2 to your HDTV with an optional HDMI cable and use your HDTV's remote to control playback functions and navigate the camera's menus from the comfort of your favorite couch or chair.
- In-Body Image Stabilization
- An in-camera stabilization system allows for up to 4-stops EV of movement compensation with all 4/3 and Micro-4/3 format lenses.
- Dust Reduction
- Olympus' Dust Reduction, which runs an ultrasonic cleaning cycle each time you power up the camera, helps keep dust particles out of the image path.
- Multiple Exposure
- The multiple exposure function allows you to shoot one shot, then another, and combine them in real time, or capture both shots separately and combine them in the camera later.
- Multi-Aspect Shooting
- The E-P2 provides four aspect ratios that serve as masks to frame your image to the desired proportions, including: the standard 4:3 aspect ratio that is suited to an 8 x 10" enlargement; the 16:9 aspect ratio that will display your images beautifully on a widescreen television; and other popular aspect ratios such as 3:2 and 6:6. The Multi-Aspect Shooting further expresses your creative vision when combined with Art Filters and multiple exposures.
- Stereo Audio Sound
- The E-P2 features uncompressed CD-quality 16 bit/44.1kHz Linear PCM stereo recording capability to capture the rich sound quality of your scene. It has the versatility to record and play back in WAV format and can record with its built-in stereo microphone or the optional EMA-1 external microphone. Whether recording audio while shooting a video or adding audio by recording a narration to your still images, the E-P2's audio sounds great.
- Digital Leveler
- The E-P2 is equipped with an internal digital level sensor that detects the camera's pitch and roll and indicates it on the control panel. This Digital Leveler is a tremendous benefit when capturing architecture and landscapes.
- Magnified Focus Assist
- The E-P2 provides two optional methods to help the user focus: a Magnified Focus (MF) Assist Function and Magnification Display. When using manual focus, the MF Assist feature aids with critical focus by allowing you to zoom in on part of the image by simply turning the focusing ring on the front of the lens. The Magnification Display enables you to selectively enlarge the image on the LCD at the touch of a button. This mode works for both autofocus and manual focus.
- 18 x 18 Metering Modes
- This mode divides the image area into an 18 x 18 grid, metering each of the 324 separate cells to obtain optimum exposure. In addition to 324-division ESP metering, center-weighted metering and spot metering modes are also available.
- Scene-Select Modes
- The E-P2 is equipped with 19 scene-select modes for effortless picture taking. Standard scene modes like Night-Scene, Portrait and Landscape are easy-to-use solutions for everyday shooting. Capturing beautiful portraits is easy with the new ePortrait Mode. It enables you to smooth your subject's skin - all in the camera and before capture.
- Art Filters
- Diorama: Enhances a composition's depth of field to give the image an unreal touch and model-like structure.
- Cross Process: Returns depictions with striking color and contrast shifts akin to those achieved through the cross processing technique in silver halide film development.
- Pop Art: Enhances colors, making them stronger and more vivid to create high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone which gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details.
- Pale & Light Color: The foreground is enclosed in flat, gentle light - similar to a flashback scene in a film
- Light Tone: Creates a picture with a gentle feel to it, similar to one taken under artificial lighting. Both the shade and highlight areas are rendered very softly.
- Grainy Film: This effect recreates the feeling of reality evoked by grainy, high-contrast monochrome pictures.
- Pin Hole: Reduces the peripheral brightness like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique color tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy.