This software is a Plug-in and requires a pre-installed, licensed copy of Adobe Photoshop 7, CS or CS2
Tribeca Imaging Laboratories' DCF Full Spectrum Color Plug-in uses a color difference model that corrects for the inherent shortcomings of the RGB color model. As the name implies, a color difference model translates the difference between two color systems. In the case of DCF Full Spectrum, the two systems in question are RGB, a simple linear model, and human color perception, a complex and fundamentally non-linear model.
The RGB (Red, Green, Blue) color model was designed for the efficient production of colors using a trichromatic light emitter, such as a computer monitor or a camera LCD. It is a model for producing illumination; it was not designed to simulate the complexity of human color vision. Although RGB can be used to produce millions of color combinations, the hues are not arranged in a way that is consistent with how we see. As a result, digital cameras generate a simplified, limited spectrum.
DCF Full Spectrum is a device-independent color model that works within the infrastructure of the existing RGB system. It remaps every color possible in RGB from its default R, G and B values to a more correct R', G' and B' triplet. Consequently, it works on any image taken from any camera and is fully compatible with industry recommended methods of digital imaging and reproduction.
DCF Full Spectrum is based on years of empirical research conducted on tens of thousands of images to identify and measure the differences between default digital camera performance and human color vision. The primary difference between RGB and human color vision is the failure of RGB to characterize the chromaticity of hues. Simply put, the RGB model can make a hue "lighter" or "darker" but does not characterize the human sensation of a "deep" hue. For example, deep blue has a red chromaticity, but a digital representation of a deep blue will simply be a darker value of a blue hue. DCF Full Spectrum requantifies dark blue data to produce a deep blue image.
- Easy Installation and Use
- The software easily installs in systems with Adobe Photoshop 7, CS & CS2, and the plug-in is easily accessible in the File/Automate menu.
- Supports 8-Bit and 16-Bit Images
- DCF Full Spectrum accepts all unlayered RGB type files in both 8-Bit image processing of Adobe Photshop 7 and the 16-bit image processing found in adobe Photoshop CS & CS2.
- Three DCF Full Spectrum Color Formulas
- DCF Full Spectrum improves Camera Color Accuracy with no changes made in exposure or contrast. DCF Portrait improves color accuracy with a reduced contrast ratio, thereby creating smooth skin tones. DCF Vivid improves color accuracy with more intense lighting for bolder colors, brighter highlights and deeper shadows.
- Customize Your Own Color Formula and Lighting Effects
- Use the DCF Color Controls to adjust chromaticity of a selected hue; Use the Spotlight and Fill controls to increase or decrease intensity; or combine the color and lighting effects to create a unique photographic appearance. A low resolution image and a color chart help you to preview the changes to the digital spectrum of your image. You can then save your custom setting for use at a later time.