The Sony Alpha A230 is a compact DSLR designed around a 10.2 (effective) megapixel APS-C format CCD sensor, that utilizes a Sony BIONZ image processor to capture and process image files as RAW, JPEG, or RAW+JPEG, at speeds of up to 2.5 frames-per-second. The Alpha A230's body design is smooth and rounded, and features flush-mounted yet easy-to-use camera controls. JPEG image files can be recorded in a choice of 3 compression ratios onto Memory Stick PRO Duo or SD/SDHC memory cards.
For indoor snapshots or eliminating 'raccoon eyes' when shooting portraits outdoors on sunny days, the Alpha A230 has a built-in pop-up flash (Guide number 10 in meters @ ISO 100). There's also a hot-shoe for use with Sony dedicated TTL flashguns and other Sony-compatible flashguns.
For composing images the A230's eye-level pentamirror viewfinder shows 95% of the total image area. A rear-mounted 2.7" (230,400-dot) TFT Clear Photo LCD allows you to view 100% of the total image area.
To facilitate sharp, well-exposed images, the Sony Alpha A230 utilizes a 9-point autofocus (AF) system that can be used in single or multi-shot mode. There's also an 'eye-start' mode which kick-starts the AF system when you raise the camera to your eye. For on-the-nose exposure readings the A230 features a 40-segment honeycomb-pattern SPC TTL metering system and Sony's D-Range Optimizer for balanced shadow and highlight details.
Other features of the Sony Alpha A230 include a Dust Reduction system, ISO settings that can be adjusted from a native 100 through an extended ISO 3200, a wide selection of shooting modes, an easy-to-read, easy-to-use menu interface, and Sony SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system for sharper imagery when shooting under low-light conditions with all Sony, Minolta, and Konica AF-mount lenses.
The Sony Alpha A230 powers off a Sony NP-FH50 lithium-ion battery, which can capture 500-plus images-per-charge.
- Small, Compact Design
- The Sony Alpha A230 is contained in a rounded compact body that features flush-mounted, yet easy-to-use camera and menu controls
- 10.2 Megapixel CCD Sensor
- A 10.2 (effective) megapixel APS-C format CCD imaging sensor captures sharp images capable of producing detailed, poster-size prints
- RAW, JPEG, or RAW+JPEG Capture
- Image files can be captured in a choice of JPEG, RAW, or both simultaneously, depending on your needs, and JPEGs can be recorded as Large, Medium, or Small to best match your output and/or storage capacity requirements
- Bright Reflex Finder / Bright LCD
- You can compose images using the Alpha A230's reflex viewfinder, which features an adjustable diopter (-2.5 ~ +1.0) and review and edit them on the camera's 2.7" (230,400-dot) TFT Photo Clear LCD
- Built-in TTL Flash
- A pop-up TTL flash (with a guide number of 10-meters @ ISO 100) and enough coverage to light the field-of-view of an 18mm lens (APS-C format) does a swell job capturing party snaps as well as opening up the shadows when shooting outdoors on bright, sunny days. There's also a hot-shoe for Sony and other dedicated flashguns
- Fast 9-Point AF System
- The Alpha A230's 9-point AF system can be used in single-shot, automatic, or continuous mode and configured to 'read' the scene in a choice of Wide, Spot, or 9 Local area modes. Other AF features include Focus Lock, a Predictive Control function, an Eye-start function that starts up the AF system as you raise the camera to your eye, as well as an AF Illumination feature to aid focusing under lowlight conditions. You also have the option of focusing manually with a simple flip of a switch
- Advanced Metering
- The Sony Alpha A230 uses a 40-segment honeycomb-pattern TTL metering system that can be configured to read the image in a choice of segmented, center-weighted, or spot meter settings
- Image Stabilization
- Sony's SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization system, which is built into the camera body, allows for sharp imagery under low-lighting conditions with all Sony, Minolta, and Konica AF-mount lenses
- Dual Dust Reduction System
- To keep your image files clean (and reduce post-capture retouching time) the Sony Alpha A230 employs a combination of rapid image-sensor shift and anti-static coatings on the camera's low-pass filter
- Scene Modes / Creative Styles
- You have a choice of multiple pre-set exposure modes to best meet the needs of your subject matter and/or lighting conditions including Portrait, Close-up, Landscape, B&W, Sports, Sunset, and Night Portrait/Night View modes. To maintain optimum highlight and shadow details when shooting in contrasty lighting conditions, the Alpha A230 features Sony's D-Range Image Optimizer
- Dual Memory Card Slots
- The Alpha A230 records images onto your choice of Memory Stick PRO Duo or SD/SDHC memory cards
- 500-Plus Exposures-per-charge
- A lithium-ion battery provides 500-plus exposures-per-charge even with heavy LCD use