The Nikon D50 is the smallest, lightest and easiest-to-use Nikon digital SLR camera to date, and is designed for the broadest range of consumers including family memory-keepers looking to take advantage of the image quality, speed and responsiveness Nikon digital SLR's offer, as well as photo enthusiasts and amateur photographers who want to capture brilliant digital pictures with vibrant color and immaculate sharpness. The new entry-level D50 makes exceptional digital SLR photography a reality for everyone.
The camera's seven Digital Vari-Program modes make capturing the moment easier than ever, and the "Child" mode, for example, assures that moms and dads don't have to be photography experts to capture the most vivid color and contrast when taking pictures of their children. The D50's "Child" mode automatically adjusts several of the camera's settings, including ISO, shutter speeds, and white balance, to produce optimized images when taking pictures of children. The D50 also includes a full range of manual controls and custom settings, so users can grow with the camera, and advanced photo enthusiasts can find themselves right at home with a D50 in their hands.
- 6.1 Effective Megapixel Image Sensor
- The D50 Utilizes a 6.1 Effective Megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD Image Sensor which delivers vivid color and sharp detail with high resolution for great pictures and enlargements.
- Compact, Lightweight and Easy to Use
- The Nikon D50 is easy to take with you anywhere you go! From its inviting body contours to its easily accessible controls, this is a camera that makes picture taking satisfying and fun!
- Compatible with Nikkor Lenses
- The D50 offers seamless compatibility with Nikon's extensive family of high-performance AF Nikkor lenses, as well as the expanding family of DX Nikkor lenses, providing superb color reproduction, razor-sharp image clarity and fast and accurate autofocus performance.
- 7 Digital Vari-Programs
- Nikon's scene-optimized Digital Vari-Program modes produces great results for the intended shot, while freeing you to concentrate on the moment. The "Child" mode makes it easier to take memorable pictures of the children with the right amount of vivid color and contrast straight from the camera. Choose from Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Child, Close Up, Sports, or Night Portrait modes.
- Incredible Battery Performance
- The EN-EL3 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides sufficient energy capacity to shoot approximately 2,000 images, and the MH-18a Quick Charger is smaller than the original MH-18, and is capable of charging both the EN-EL3a and EN-EL3 batteries.
- 2.0-inch LCD Display
- The Large LCD Display provides immediate feedback when viewing images and aids smooth operation with a easy-to-view, easy-to-understand menu design and instructive help dialogs.
- High-Performance Digital Processing
- The D50 employs exclusive Nikon technology to render vivid color and clear details with all the speed necessary to freely capture those precious moments as they unfold.
- Refined 5-Area Autofocus System
- The D50 has a refined 5-area autofocus system that features speed, precision, broad frame coverage, and class-leading low-light detection that makes it easy to take great pictures in low light situations. An automatic autofocus illuminator is also provided when taking pictures with the built-in Speedlight or when using the optional SB-600 or SB-800 Speedlights.
- 2.5 Frames Per Second Continuous Shooting
High-speed continuous shooting assures uninterrupted shooting up to 137 frames*, while shutter speeds from 30 to 1/4,000 sec., and flash sync speeds up to 1/500 sec. provide the capability to capture images not possible with non-SLR type cameras.
*When using JPEG NORMAL - Large settings, and a SanDisk Ultra II SD Card (256MB). The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of SD card used
- 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- The D50 incorporates a 420-pixel RGB sensor for accurate exposure control in all types of lighting situations. By comparing the scene to a built-in database of various lighting patterns, the camera's light meter can accurately produce your best pictures ever.
- Small Picture Function
- A one-button email option, this feature saves photos in the camera at the reduced sizes of 640x480, 320x240, or 160x120, perfect either for mail attachments or for use on a web page.
- i-TTL and Nikons Creative Lighting System
- Makes taking pictures with flash as easy as turning the flash on! Easy multiple flash lighting is possible using the new Nikon Creative Lighting System. Add an SB-600 Speedlight for more power and coverage for flash photography.
- Responsive Performance
- Shutter speeds from 30 to 1/4,000 seconds and flash-synchronized shutter speeds of up to 1/500 seconds provide a photo experience with greater breadth and creative flexibility to catch more of those important picture moments.
- Includes PictureProject Software
- PictureProject is refined with an intuitive user interface that makes image management, editing and sharing easier and more fun. Simply connect the camera to a computer to automatically import pictures. Quickly e-mail or Auto Enhance images, run slideshows, burn. CD/DVDs, and access other commonly used functions via practical buttons. Use drag-and-drop to organize pictures into separate collections, and quickly locate any file by name, keyword, or date.