The GY-HMZ1U ProHD 3D Camcorder from JVC makes professional stereoscopic 3D image capture accessible to a broad range of users. Boasting 3D video, 3D still image, and 3D time-lapse recording, the dual-lens, dual-imager HMZ1U plays back glasses-free 3D video on its 3.5" LCD screen. The camera also records high-definition 2D video as AVCHD, so you can use the camera with any of your traditional HD-capable video equipment and workflows.
The HMZ1U features twin bright HD lenses (f/1.2 at the wide end) that zoom up to 5x in 3D modes and 10x in 2D modes. The imagers are likewise twinned; at 3.3 Mp each, the 1/4.1-type CMOS chips capture dual video signals at Full HD 1920 x 1080 that can be recorded as a single file that's encoded as MVC. This is a variant of AVCHD's MPEG-4 compression that, with its left-eye and right-eye information, contains double the usual information of a comparable two-dimensional HD file.
Along with traditional 2D capture of AVCHD at several selectable bit rates, there are also modes for recording 3D as two half-sized images side-by-side, producing bit-efficient AVCHD files. The camcorder's Falconbird LSI processing enables the recording of 3D video as both 60i, for smooth motion in fast-action shots, and as 24p, for a film-like effect.
Along with its capability to record cinematic 24p Full HD, what truly sets this camcorder apart from consumer 3D models is the audio section. With built-in "3D" stereo microphones and dual XLRs for high-quality stereo audio capture from a shotgun mic or wireless audio receiver, the HMZ1U enables the professional audio capture that befits a professional 3D video camera. (A shotgun mic holder is included on the camera's handle but a microphone is sold separately.) Audio is recorded in 3D modes as dual-channel AAC for biphonic 3D sound, and in 2D modes it's recorded as two-channel Dolby Digital.
Note: XLR inputs do not provide phantom power. Only microphones that have their own battery source can be used.
- 3D capture with dual back-illuminated CMOS sensors
- 24p or 60i capture and recording
- Twin f/1.2 HD lenses with 5x optical zoom (10x in 2D)
- Autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3.5" LCD touchscreen for menu and 3D playback
- 34 Mb/s recording in 3D (24 Mb/s in 2D)
- Memory card slot for SDXC/SDHC flash media (cards sold separately)
- Internal 64 GB memory recording
- Built-in timecode
- 3D digital still recording
- Advanced Image Stabilizer
- 3D time-lapse recording
- High-speed 3D "motor drive" recording (up to 12 frames)
- Zebra exposure indication
- Includes professional handle with XLR mic inputs and shotgun mic holder (microphone not included)