Canon's PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera is a convenient way to capture the memories unfolding all around you. As is one of the hallmarks of the point-and-shoot genre, the SX150 is small and lightweight. Take it everywhere you go and be ready for any spur-of-the-moment photo ops!
Let's take a look at the specs first. The SX150 IS presents with a 14.1MP resolution. That translates into detailed images that keep their quality even when blown up as large prints. The camera's 1/2.3" CCD sensor works together with Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor for the capture and efficient recording of those stills and of the camera's 720p HD video.
The high def video function is paired up with stereo recording. That makes for movies worthy of sharing with family and friends on the big screen, otherwise known as your HDTV. The SX150 IS's video features don't end there, however. The camera sports a dedicated movie button for starting and stopping recording, a wind filter for cutting down on wind noise while shooting, and a 12x optical zoom for clear, high-quality close-ups. Additionally, the camera also supports Apple's iFrame format which is compatible with both Mac and Windows computers, eliminating the need for conversions.
Of course, you're going nowhere if your camera doesn't have a high-powered lens. The SX150 comes with a Canon 12x zoom lens. Aside from putting 12x optical zoom at your fingertips, this lens features a focal range of 28-336mm (35mm equivalent). That means even the tightest group shot or the sweeping vistas can all be captured with this one lens. And no digital camera is worth its salt these days without image stabilization. The SX150 IS has an optical image stabilizer with 6 specific modes for capturing the steadiest pictures possible.
On the back of the camera you'll find a 3.0" LCD for composing and reviewing shots, not to mention navigating through the menu. As a side note, the menu provides access to speakers of 27 languages, making this Canon accessible to peoples across the world. Other features worth mentioning here include the convenience of AA battery power and a built-in flash.
Now, when it comes to shooting modes point-and-shoot is fine, but sometimes you just want to express yourself more fully. With the SX150 IS you can. The camera provides a myriad of choices which can be found the Smart AUTO function. The ultimate mode of course is Manual, which lets you have complete control of exposure, aperture, and shutter speed. Additional modes such as Foliage, Snow, Fisheye, and Poster Effect, among others, give you fun and unique ways to show off your artistic inclinations.
- 12x Optical Zoom with 28mm Wide-Angle Lens
- The PowerShot SX150 IS features a powerful Genuine Canon 12x Zoom Lens that delivers outstanding optical performance and versatility. With precision engineering and decades of leadership in optical technologies, Canon has created a bright, wide-angle lens that provides an extraordinary 12x zoom range. The lens starts at 28mm wide-angle and extends to 336mm telephoto (35mm equivalent), giving you tremendous coverage and reach. The telephoto end lets you capture subjects from a considerable distance, while the 28mm wide-angle makes it easy to shoot sweeping landscapes, large groups of people and tall buildings. Moreover, this superlative lens incorporates innovative designs that enable it to fit the compact profile of the PowerShot SX150 IS and perform at high speed with low power consumption
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Handheld shooting can often lead to camera shake, making photos and videos blurry. Canon's Optical Image Stabilizer is a sophisticated system that uses lens-shift technology to correct for unwanted camera movement. It makes handheld photography more practical in more shooting situations, providing excellent image quality in many difficult situations: outdoors at dusk, inside without a flash, and even at the telephoto end of the zoom range without a tripod. For still photos, it enables shooting at slower shutter speeds, accommodating more low-light shooting situations than ever before without having to boost ISO sensitivity. With camera shake and vibration reduced, you get a sharper, steadier image. And because it is an optical system, there is none of the image degradation typical with electronic image stabilizers
- 14.1MP Sensor
- A 14.1MP sensor delivers beautiful photos with fine detail and brilliant color. The high resolution ensures superb image quality even when cropping or making very large prints
- Canon DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- Canon DIGIC Image Processors have set the standard for functionality and performance since their groundbreaking introduction in 1999. With each successive generation, DIGIC processors have brought elevated performance and powerful new features to PowerShot digital cameras. The DIGIC 4 processor has ushered in a new level of picture quality and accelerated processing, making possible features such as high-speed continuous shooting, Full HD video and Face Detection Self-timer. New, more powerful noise reduction algorithms also provide improved low-light capture
- Smart AUTO
The PowerShot SX150 IS features Smart AUTO - sophisticated Canon technology that makes getting that great shot as simple as pressing the shutter button. Smart AUTO automatically detects scenes by assessing various factors in both the background and the subject. Detected scenes are analyzed using 32 predefined shooting situations. The camera then makes optimal settings to ensure the best possible image capture, whether you're shooting stills or video. Smart AUTO also includes Advanced Subject Detection, which allows the camera to detect and track non-human moving subjects like animals and vehicles. With Smart AUTO, all you have to do is frame your shot and capture away
Shooting Modes/Special Scene Modes:
Manual: You have complete control of exposure, selecting both aperture and shutter speed manuallyAperture-Priority: You set the aperture, controlling depth-of-field. The camera automatically selects the shutter speedShutter-Priority: You select the shutter speed to stop or blur action, and the camera finds the appropriate aperture. With slow exposure times, Canon's noise reduction system activates to ensure low image noiseProgram: Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automaticallySmart AUTO: The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicityEasy Mode: In Easy mode, shooting is simple and relaxed-the camera handles all the settings automaticallyPortrait: The camera sets a large aperture, focusing the subject and artistically blurring the background to make your subject "pop"Landscape: Increases depth-of-field for sharp and sweeping landscape shotsKids & Pets: Reduced focusing time freezes fast-moving subjects, so you won't miss those special shotsSmart Shutter: The camera automatically takes the photo when people smile, wink, or get into frameLow Light: For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly-lit situationsBeach: Get clear shots of people at a sunny beach without darkened facesFoliage: Capture brilliant shots of autumn foliage, greenery and blossomsSnow: Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tintFireworks: Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworksFisheye Effect: Add a classic photo distortion without fisheye lensMiniature Effect for Movies & Stills: Emphasizes perspectives for a miniature effect by blurring upper and bottom portions of the imageToy Camera Effect: Simulates photos taken with "toy" or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effectMonochrome: Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or BlueSuper Vivid: Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colorsPoster Effect: Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one color, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrastsColor Accent: Choose to retain a single color in your image while other colors turn monochromeColor Swap: Select a color and replace it with a color you specify for special effectsDiscreet Mode: Disables flash, AF assist beam, and all camera sounds with one mode dial setting - so you can capture images in quiet areasMovie: Record video in stereo sound. Unwanted scenes can be deleted in playback modeiFrame Movie: The Apple movie format, iFrame makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality
- Canon HD Video Advantage
- The PowerShot SX150 IS lets you record spectacularly detailed 720p HD video at 30 frames per second with clear stereo sound. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot high definition video whenever you want, then downloading the videos to your computer to watch or share with family and friends
- Dedicated Movie Button, Wind Filter and Optical Zoom While Shooting
- It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot SX150 IS has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot SX150 IS also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot SX150 IS lets you use the full 12x range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video without sacrificing HD video resolution
- iFrame Movie Support
- With the PowerShot SX150 IS, you can also shoot video in the Apple iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions
- Intelligent IS
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image
Normal: Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stillsPanning: Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movementHybrid: Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shootingDynamic: Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walkingPowered: Compensates for hand movement shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnifiedTripod: When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed
- Large 3.0" LCD
- The camera's high-resolution (230,000 dots) 3.0" LCD gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. This high-resolution screen offers a crisp, clear picture to make shooting, playback and using the camera's menu functions especially convenient. Clear and bright, it also features Night Display for easy viewing in low light
- AA Battery Powered
- Recharging batteries can often be an inconvenience, especially when traveling in foreign countries. With the PowerShot SX150 IS, you'll never need special power adapters or chargers because it's powered by two AA batteries that are widely available around the world
- Face Detection Technology
- Face Detection technology makes it easy for you to take great photos of people. The camera will automatically detect the face(s) in a frame to give it optimal focus, exposure, flash (if needed) and white balance. Smart Shutter adds fun and convenience to Face Detection because you can set the camera to release the shutter when someone winks, smiles or even enters the frame
- Best Image Selection
- Best Image Selection is an easy way to get great results almost every time you take a picture. When you press the shutter release, the camera will rapidly shoot a series of five images, then assess the images for any unwanted facial movements and camera shake. Out of the five images, the camera will select and save the best one
- 27 Menu Languages
- With the addition of Hindi, there are a total of 27 display languages from which you can choose: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, and Hindi