hiFace Evo from M2Tech is a USB-to-digital audio converter housed in a compact and stylish aluminum case that is capable of flawlessly transferring audio data from a computer at up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution. Asynchronous operation is used in conjunction with proprietary drivers which allow for Kernel Streaming, Direct Sound and WASAPI operation (the latter under Windows Vista and 7).
Very high precision, low jitter crystal oscillators are used with a dedicated shunt voltage regulator to further improve their performance. The unit is powered by an external power supply (not included) to avoid noise and distortion that can be induced by the use of USB bus power. A low-pass filter is provided at the supply input to further reduce any bad influence from a power supply.
Several digital outputs are available at the same time - RCA coaxial S/PDIF, BNC S/PDIF, AES/EBU, optical S/PDIF on TOSLink, optical on ST (for high-speed operation up to 192kHz and up to 1.6km or 1 mile), and straight I2S for direct RJ-45 connection to DIY digital to analog converters. All outputs, except I2S are electrically isolated.
The AES/EBU output can be set to professional or consumer mode by an internal jumper. An external clock input is available for use where extremely precise and stable clock generators are preferred. The interface automatically senses the presence of such an external signal. Three LEDs indicate power, external clock presence, and incoming data from the computer.
- Digital audio interface that connects directly to a computer's USB 2.0 port for music streaming
- Low jitter, low phase noise output using two highly stable oscillators reinforced by a board supply voltage regulator
- hiFace proprietary drivers allow for transferring audio data from the computer without any loss of resolution
- Sampling frequency constraints are also overcome (Microsoft and ASIO drivers operate at no more than 96kHz)
- Drivers available for Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 as well as Mac drivers for 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6
- Compact size