The Tiffen 95Cmm Low Light Linear Polarizer Filter helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface. The light from the sun naturally becomes partially polarized due to reflecting off electrons in air molecules, causing the light to scatter into what appears as haze. A polarizing filter arranges, and filters, this directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of this light. This results in a noticeable reduction of glare and reflections from non-metallic surfaces and an increase in the saturation of skies and foliage.
A linear polarizer only differs from a circular polarizer in that it does not contain a quarter wave plane that enables use of auto focus and exposure features. Linear polarizers are best suited for use with manual cameras, such as view cameras, that are not dependent on internal mechanisms to determine focus or metering settings.
The low light polarizer has less of a polarizing effect than a standard polarizer, allowing for it to be used in indoor and darker situations when available light is at a premium. This filter is also more ideal to pair with others so the filter factor does not become overwhelming. The low light linear polarizer requires approximately 1 stop of exposure compensation.
Tiffen filters are made using ColorCore technology, a process that involves laminating the filter substrate between 2 pieces of optical glass, grinding flat to a tolerance of 10,000th of an inch, and then mounting to precision metal rings.
- Low light polarizer is less dense than a standard polarizer, allowing for greater light transmission and more versatility when working in darker conditions.
- Helps to reduce reflections and glare by filtering out light that has become polarized due to reflection from a non-metallic surface.
- Polarizing filters arrange, and filter, directionally polarized light perpendicularly to the reflected light, allowing for the absorption of much of the light.
- Clears up haze in distant landscapes and provides more saturated, vivid colors.
- Strongest effect when used at a 90° angle from the sun.
- Constructed using Tiffen's ColorCore technology.