If you want the very best that Apple can offer, then check out the Mac Pro 12-Core Desktop Computer Workstation, the company's premiere computer. Built with high performance in mind, this system is ideal for CPU-intensive and graphics-heavy applications. Apple didn't skimp on the design either. Housed in a striking tower form factor, this desktop workstation has a silver front grille with easy access to USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 ports as well as a headphone jack. Sturdy handles at the top of the case ensures that the system can be safely moved.
Unlike the limited expansion options of other Apple products, the Mac Pro is fully customizable with its easy-access interior. Slide out the four 3.5" SATA drive bays to upgrade seamlessly to a total of 8TB (using 7200rpm SATA HDDs) or 2TB (using SSD). Slide out the processor tray to access the 8 RAM slots, which can support up to a memory capacity of 64GB. The back of the system features a plethora of ports, including more USB 2.0 and FireWire 800 ports as well as dual Gigabit Ethernet ports. There are also optical and analog audio options as well.
The Mac Pro is powered by two 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors running at a clockspeed of 2.66GHz. This system also comes with 8GB of RAM, a 1TB 7200rpm SATA hard drive, Apple's SuperDrive DVD burner with dual-layer disc support, 802.11n Airport Extreme Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR for wireless device connectivity and ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphics with 1GB of memory.
The 64-bit OS features Time Machine backup, which automatically backs up system data to an external hard drive. It also features intuitive Cover Flow navigation, the powerful Spotlight search tool and Quick Look document preview. Boot Camp allows you to run Windows on your Mac, which is useful if some of your applications are only available on Windows. Front Row turns your Mac Pro into an impressive media player.
iLife '11 is a complete suite of digital creativity applications. Easy enough for anyone to use, iLife will help you edit your home movies, organize digital photos, and compose original music. The system is also powerful enough to run Apple's professional-level applications, perfect for those who are ready to move up to the next level of creative software.
- 12-Core "Westmere" Processor
- Intel's next-generation "Westmere" processor is based on the latest 32-nm process technology. With two 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors clocking in at a speed of 2.66GHz, you'll have ample power for even the most demanding tasks.
- The Single Die Advantage
- Many multicore processors are composed of two separate dies, which means some cached data has to travel outside the processor to get from core to core. That's an inefficient way to access information. Enter the dual 6-Core Intel Xeon processors. Their single-die, 64-bit architecture makes 12MB of fully shared L3 cache readily available to each of the processor cores. The result is fast access to cache data and greater application performance. Combine that with the other technological advances and you get a Mac Pro that's up to 1.5x faster than the previous generation
- Fast Memory. And Lots of It.
System memory is often connected to a processor through a separate I/O controller. But Intel "Westmere" processors feature an integrated memory controller. By connecting memory directly to the processor, the new Mac Pro processors have faster access to data stored in memory as well as reducing memory latency.
The integrated memory controller, along with fast DDR3 ECC SDRAM at 1333MHz, gives Mac Pro an increase in memory bandwidth over previous generations. More bandwidth allows for more data to be fed to the processor faster, helping each core spend its time processing data, not waiting for information to arrive. And Error Correction Code (ECC) corrects single-bit errors and detects multiple-bit errors automatically. That's especially important in mission-critical and compute-intensive environments.
- Power When and Where You Need It
- The Mac Pro features Turbo Boost, a dynamic performance technology that automatically boosts the processor clock speed based on workload. If you're using an application that doesn't need every core, Turbo Boost increases the speed of the active ones, up to 3.33GHz on a 12-core Mac Pro
- Up to 24 Virtual Cores
- The Intel Xeon processors support Hyper-Threading, which allows two threads to run simultaneously on each core. For example, a 12-core Mac Pro presents 24 virtual cores that are recognized by Mac OS X. Performance is enhanced because Hyper-Threading enables the processor to take better advantage of the execution resources available in each core
- Path of Least Resistance
- A bidirectional, point-to-point connection called QuickPath Interconnect gives the Intel Xeon processors quick access to the disk, I/O and other Mac Pro subsystems. In this dual-processor Mac Pro model, there's a QuickPath Interconnect between the two processors. This connection acts as a direct pipeline, so processor-to-processor data doesn't need to travel to the I/O hub first. It's another way the Mac Pro boosts performance across the board
- Powerfully Efficient
- The Mac Pro meets the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA, giving it ENERGY STAR qualification. ENERGY STAR 5.0 sets significantly higher efficiency limits for power supplies and aggressive limits for the computer's typical annual power consumption
- ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Card
- A high-performance graphics cards from AMD makes Mac Pro graphics technology up to 5 times faster than ever before. Perfect for motion graphics, 3D modeling, rendering or animation, the ATI Radeon HD 5870 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory is installed in this Mac Pro. An ideal choice for the most demanding applications, this card features a wide memory bus and high performance
- Don't Keep Those Pixels Waiting
- The foundation of the Mac Pro graphics architecture is the latest generation of GPUs connected to the system via a fast and wide PCI Express 2.0 16-lane bus. Couple that with Core Animation, Core Image and Core Video technologies in Mac OS X. The result is a graphics platform that allows applications to seamlessly tap into a teraflop of graphics power
- Graphics on Display
- Every Mac Pro graphics card features three display ports of maximum workspace flexibility. When connecting three displays to the graphics card on the Mac Pro, the recommended configuration is two displays with Mini DisplayPort cables and one display with a DVI cable. For instance, the ideal setup would be two Apple LED Cinema Displays and an additional DVI-compliant display with a screen size of up to 30 inches. Please note that other display combinations (such as 2 DVI displays/1 Mini DisplayPort display, 3 DVI displays or 3 VGA displays) will require the purchase of additional video adapters. Make sure those adapters are labeled as "dual-link"
Storage & RAID
- Massive Storage
- The Mac Pro comes with four 3.5" internal hard drive bays for an enormous amount of storage. While this Mac Pro comes with 1TB of storage space, it can be expanded to 8TB when using 2TB Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s hard drives. If you would rather use solid state drives, you can upgrade up to a maximum of 2TB. Each bay provides its own independent 3Gb/s channel for fast access to data. And thanks to the cable-free, direct-attach installation system, adding (or replacing) hard drives is a surprisingly simple process
- Support for Solid State Drives
- New to the Mac Pro is the option to add up to four 512GB solid-state drives -- or any combination of solid-state and hard drives. Solid-state drives have no moving parts and are capable of accessing data at speeds up to 230MB per second, which is up to twice the speed of hard drives. The result? Incredible performance on a range of data-intensive tasks, including up to 2x faster ProRes video encoding using solid-state drives compared with hard drives 1
- Ready to RAID
For data protection and enhanced SATA performance, add the Mac Pro RAID Card with 512MB of RAID cache, a 72-hour cache-protecting battery, and hardware RAID levels 0, 1, 5, and 0+1. A new cableless connection and intuitive Apple software make it a snap to install this optional card. Once installed, high-performance 15,000rpm SAS drives may be used. It's the perfect solution for workgroup servers, video pros working with high-bit-rate assets, or anyone who wants to protect critical data.
Even without a RAID card, Mac OS X lets you stripe two, three, or all four hard drives in a RAID 0 array to increase performance and create a massive volume for tasks such as video editing; or create a RAID 1 mirror to protect digital media assets from a drive failure 2
- Double-Layer Burner
- The Mac Pro features an open optical drive bay, which can be used to add an optional second SuperDrive. Adding a second DVD burner allows you to back up data to two double-layer DVDs at once. You can also multi-task, such as burning an Aperture project to one DVD while importing music from a CD into your iTunes library
Mac OS X
- UNIX Compliant
- What makes Mac OS X a powerful operating system is the technology behind it: a fully certified UNIX foundation. With a rock-solid UNIX infrastructure, it's one of the most secure and stable operating systems on any platform. As a developer, you'll appreciate Mac OS X even more because it's fully UNIX compliant. That means it compiles and runs all your existing UNIX code, so you can deploy it in environments that demand full conformance. The result is software will perform exactly as it is meant to. The powerful tools built into Mac OS X improve application performance on multicore processors make the Mac Pro the ideal workstation
- 64-bit Power
- Since the Mac Pro runs Mac OS X in 64-bit mode; you can take full advantage of the 64-bit architecture of the Intel Xeon processors inside your new Mac Pro. Add the 32GB of memory available for Mac Pro and Mac OS X performance is even better than before. Mac OS X also enables developers to build complete 64-bit applications using the Coca, Quartz, OpenGL and X11 GUI frameworks. Worried that your 32-bit program won't work on Mac OS X? Don't be. Mac OS X supports both 32- and 64-bit applications without the need to download drivers
- Multicore & Multitask
- At the heart of the new Mac Pro are two Intel Xeon "Westmere" processors with an incredible amount of processing power. Optimized for multicore technology, Mac OS X provides powerful tools that make it easy to reap the benefits of the Mac Pro. The scheduler in Mac OS X is very efficient at allocating tasks across multiple cores and processors. So Mac OS X spends less time managing tasks and more time performing computations. As a developer, you can build applications that execute the same efficiency, thanks to NSOperation, a breakthrough API that optimizes applications for multicore processing
- Core Animation
- From the cascading windows of Time Machine to the smooth animation of the reflective 3D Dock, stunning visual effects truly set Mac OS X apart. Behind all that beauty is a technology built into Mac OS X called Core Animation. The performance of Core Animation benefits from the multicore processors and advanced graphics hardware in the Mac Pro. For developers, Core Animation easily opens up the power of Apple's graphics technologies. You can create animated user interfaces and visualizations that simultaneously layer different media types, such as text, 2D graphics, OpenGL rendering, and QuickTime video, all in real time
- Xcode Developer Tools
- Xcode is the graphical development environment that comes with every Mac. It's the same software used by Apple to produce Mac OS X, and it's packed with tools and features, including a powerful graphical debugger, a code editor supporting dozens of languages, and the amazing Instruments tool to visualize your application's performance. Xcode is optimized to take advantage of the multicore Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors and system memory in the Mac Pro. It performs 20 percent faster than before, supports multiple languages (both computer and human), and offers programmers everything they need to make stunning Mac OS X applications
- Voilà, Instant Server
- The multitalented Mac Pro can also act as a powerful small-workgroup server. Just add Mac OS X Server. The resulting solution combines Mac ease of use with flexible configuration options and server-class hardware. With multicore Intel Xeon processing power, up to 64GB of ECC memory, an optional RAID card and dual Gigabit Ethernet ports, this Mac Pro can turn into a workgroup server that has everything you need
- Energy Efficient
- Even though the Mac Pro is the fastest Mac ever, it is also highly energy efficient. Energy-efficient hardware components work hand in hand with Mac OS X to create a system that can dynamically adjust power consumption to reduce the overall energy used. For instance, the CPU architecture allows individual cores to go into a low-power state to reduce energy consumption when they are not needed. The graphics card does the same by reducing power draw when not running graphics-intensive applications. This allows the Mac Pro to meet the stringent low power requirements set by the EPA, which earns it a ENERGY STAR 5.0 certification
- Many Harmful Toxins Eliminated
- Apple has worked hard to eliminate many of the toxins that are a common part of computer manufacturing. Apple engineers removed brominated flame retardants (BFRs) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) from circuit boards, internal cables, connectors, insulators, adhesives and more. Apple has removed these toxins from all new Mac Pro systems and all of its configuration options, including graphics cards, Fibre-Channel cards and RAID cards. They've done the same for their entire product line
- Rated EPEAT Gold
- Because the Mac Pro is environmentally innovative, it has earned the highest rating of EPEAT Gold. The Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) evaluates the environmental impact of a product based on how recyclable it is, how much energy it uses and how it is manufactured
- Highly Recyclable
- The Mac Pro is built with a recyclable aluminum enclosure. Aluminum is very desirable to recyclers, which means the raw materials used in the Mac Pro can be reused in other products. Apple also simplified the internal design, replacing over 6 feet of cables with more efficient connectors that allow easy disassembly at end of the Mac Pro's life. In addition, one of the few remaining plastic assemblies in the Mac Pro is made from postconsumer recycled plastic
- A Commitment That Starts with Products
- When it comes to being environmentally friendly, Apple approaches the challenge differently, especially when it comes to the Mac Pro. Unlike other companies, Apple controls every aspect of the production of its computers. So Apple designers and engineers can minimize their carbon footprint in ways other companies can't. Apple designs them with fewer parts and eliminates many harmful toxins. They build their computers using recyclable materials. They even create software to make their workstations more energy efficient. The result is a new standard in green, eco-friendly design
The Mac Experience
- Ease of Use
- Every Mac is designed to make your life easier. The Mac Pro gives you all the tools you need for checking e-mail, organizing personal information, browsing the Internet, watching movies and more. Its software and hardware are designed work seamlessly together while eliminating the compatibility nightmares that often plague PC users. What's more, the Mac Pro can even run Windows via Boot Camp, which is perfect for users who have a Windows-only application that they absolutely need to use
- iLife '11
- The included iLife '11 suite is a collection of applications that help you organize your digital life. It includes iPhoto for photo management and editing, iMovie for HD video editing and GarageBand for music production
- Secure and Reliable
- Worried about viruses and malware? Don't be. The Mac Pro isn't plagued by constant attacks from the outside world. It is designed to be secure out of the box, eliminating the need for additional software to protect your system from danger. Mac OS X will warn you if a downloaded file is potentially dangerous, ensuring that you don't accidentally open a malicious virus. Apple responds quickly to any security threats, prompting you to download security updates that keep your Mac secure and safe
- Tech Support
- Have a problem with your Mac? Get support and advice at the Genius Bar, located in every Apple Retail Store. Apple also provides online tutorials, troubleshooting forums and 90 days of phone support for users who are not able to make it to an Apple store
- Optional AppleCare
- Apple provides 90 days of free phone support and a standard 1-year limited hardware warranty on the Mac Pro. If you don't want to take any chances, you can opt to add an AppleCare Protection Plan for an additional cost. AppleCare provides technical support and hardware repairs for 3 years from the date of purchase. AppleCare can be purchased at any time within the first year of ownership of the computer