The National Optical & Scientific Instruments DC5-163 Compound Biological Microscope is an impressive tool for scientific inquiry. More than just a feature-filled microscope, the 163 also has a built-in 2Mp digital camera for viewing and preservation of images.
The optical system of the microscope centers around DIN achromatic 4x, 10x, 40xR, and 100xR oil immersion objectives. All are achromatic, parfocalled, parcentered, and color-coded. Widefield 10x eyepieces sit at a 30° incline on the binocular head. Additional features include dual diopters, interpupillary adjustment, and 3-position sliding rod.
Halogen illumination lights specimens for a clear and accurate view. Focusing is rack and pinion, with coaxial coarse and fine focusing controls. Safety features such as a slip clutch, a tension adjustment, and a safety rack stop ensure that the system does not sustain damage.
- Optical System
- Widefield 10x eyepiece with revolving pointer
- 45° inclined monocular viewing head
- DIN standard 4x (0.10 N.A.), 10x (0.25 N.A.), 40xR (0.65 N.A.) and 100xR oil immersion (1.25 N.A.) objectives. All are achromatic, parfocalled, parcentered and color-coded
- 4-hole objective turret, ball-bearing mounted for smooth, precise changes in magnification
- Separate low position coarse and fine focusing controls
- Slip clutch prevents damage from over focusing
- Tension adjustment eliminates stage drift
- Safety rack stop prevents damage to slides and objective lenses
- Cool running LED light rated up to 50,000 hours of use
- Rechargeable AA nickle metal hydride batteries can be recharged up to 1000 times, with each 8 hour charge providing up to 50 hours of operation
- Includes recharger shuts off when batteries are fully charged, eliminating the danger of overcharging and shortening battery life. Microscope can be used during recharging, or recharger can remain plugged-in for conventional use
- Rheostat light intensity control with separate on/off switch