The Central Station PLUS from Presonus is a studio control center that allows for switching between three sets of speakers from three sets of stereo analog input sources, and two stereo digital S/PDIF sources, while removing cable clutter from the desktop. The control center delivers all the key features needed for managing monitors in a commercial or project studio.
The main unit features a pair of line-level main outputs, a pair of line-level cue outputs, and two headphone amplifiers with individual level controls. The speaker outputs each feature individual front panel trim pots that are recessed to avoid accidents. Using the onboard talkback microphone or connecting an optional dynamic microphone to the XLR talkback input allows the engineer to communicate with the musicians over the headphone and cue buses.
The cue signal is automatically dimmed when using the talkback microphone, and a jack is provided for adding an optional footswitch for hands-free talkback operation. A mono switch sums the stereo source for checking for phase problems, and a dim switch reduces the speaker output by 16 dB. Additionally, the speakers can be completely muted.
Accurate metering enables monitoring of input levels via dual, 30-segment, tri-colored, fast-acting, peak-hold LED meters, which can be switched to display dBu and dBfs. A clear switch can clear any peak-hold indicators. And since a monitor-control system should be as sonically transparent as possible, the company chose an audiophile-quality, passive signal path with no op-amps or ICs, and equipped the S/PDIF inputs with high-definition, 24-bit/192 kHz D/A converters.
The included CSR-1 remote provides remote-control of the Central Station's main volume, input select, output select, talkback, mute, dim, and mono functions. Being a rack-mount device, with only one multi-conductor cable running to the remote control on the desktop, all of the cabling is in the back of the rack.
- Three sets of stereo analog inputs let you switch between sources
- Two sets of S/PDIF digital inputs (coaxial and optical)
- Three sets of stereo speaker outputs with speaker select switches and recessed trim pot for each speaker output
- Cue section with input-select switch and output-level control
- Main section with input-select switch, aux-input level control, output-level control, and mute, dim (-20 dB) and mono switches
- Two headphone outputs, each with dual-function volume controls and main-cue input switches
- Passive audio path - no op amps or IC's in main audio path
- Onboard talkback microphone
- Talkback microphone input with level control (feeds headphone and cue outputs)
- Dual 30-segment, fast-acting, peak-hold LED metering (dBu and dBfs) with clear peak switch and the ability to calibrate them to match a DAW or other audio device
- Footswitch jack for hands-free talkback operation
- Included Control Station Remote (CSR-1) provides remote control of main volume, input switching, output selection, talkback, and mute, dim and mono functions