The Elinchrom Zoom Action Head is compatible with all Elinchrom power packs made in or after 1981. Its Intelligent Flash Cooling system responds to heat generated by the 300W modeling lamp and 3,000W/s flash tube by running faster at peak performance and slower at lower power, thus extending the life of both. The head derives the "zoom" part of its name from the unique focusing design that allows you to move the flash tube closer or further away from the reflector like an open face hot light for harder or softer effects or to perfectly fill the accessory in use. Using an 8.25" (21 cm) reflector, you can vary the beam angle from 50 - 66°. The angle can be conveniently selected from knobs located on both sides of the head. The "action" part of the head derives from the special "A" type twin-pole flash tube which offers up to 45% shorter, action-freezing flash durations than standard omega-type flash tubes. During normal operation you can shoot all day without stressing the head and when necessary, you can fire up to 20 full power, back-to-back serial flashes before pausing.
While the recycling time is determined by the pack in use, suffice it to say that the Zoom Action can handle anything in the Elinchrom family of products. The head features a clear, protective glass dome and has a built-in 90° reflector which is perfect for umbrellas or soft boxes. A standard, built-in Elinchrom bayonet mount gives you access to the huge array of legendary EL-Reflector and Rotalux light shaping tools.
- Characteristics and Features
- The Zoom Action offers a 40 - 45% shorter flash duration compared to standard omega (horse shoe type) flash tubes. The single, twin electrode flash tube ensures an even light distribution.
- Small user-replaceable, plug-in UV coated flash tube with short flash durations and better power control.
- Included transparent, security glass dome.
- The Zoom Head can be either used with 110 or 230 V Elinchrom power packs. Swap the halogen modeling lamp and fuse to conform to the correct voltage.
- Efficient built-in reflector, with a 90° light distribution to maximize softbox performance. Additionally, there's a zoom function for the flash tube and modeling lamp for a wider or more focused light beam when used with reflectors.
- Reflector-bayonet mount with breech locking ring fits all Elinchrom reflectors since 1974. Huge EL-Reflector and ROTALUX softbox range.
- Centered umbrella fitting with additional umbrella holder at the tilt head.
- Efficient low-noise fan-cooling. The fan spins slowly at low temperatures and fast when the head heats up.
- Illuminated on/off modeling lamp switch, with LED overheat indication. The halogen modeling lamp shuts off when the red warning LED lights up, until the head cools down. The flash function remains active.
- Aluminum chassis with fire resistant housing.
- Extremely lightweight, only 5.0 (2.3 kg), including the 16.4' (5 m) heavy-duty flash cable.