The Ikan VX9e 8.9" Monitor with Sony Battery Plate is a camera monitor equipped with a store of features and with among the most useful connections. It weighs only 1.6 lbs and thus can comfortably be used as well with DSLRs as with large camcorders. It comes ready with an interchangeable Sony battery plate short of only an L-series battery for cordless operation. And it can be mounted via any of four 1/4"-20 screw holes or by a 100x100mm VESA screw pattern.
The VX9e has a resolution of 1024x600 and has aspect ratio options of full, 16:9 and 4:3. It has HD-SDI, HDMI, component, composite, and S-Video connections, all which but the HDMI serve as both ins and outs, and all of which but the HDMI and the S-Video use BNC connectors, and the SDI of which is capable of SDI to analog component out conversion.
The control features of the VX9e, with a large focus among them being on exposure and focus, are as follows:
- The VX9e features both monochrome peaking and color peaking.
- Highlights focused subjects with bright silver outlines to help tune focus.
- At the adjust of focus, the outlines become sharper and sharper for better focus.
- Drastically changes the colors of an image to indicate exposure levels.
- At the adjust of the iris, the colors change based on specific brightness values.
- Min and max IRE brightness limits can be set as a range for exposure levels to stay in.
- A warning appears when an exposure level exceeds or falls under the assigned IRE limits.
- Clip guide reveals overexposed areas by flashing vivid purple colors on them.
- Purple warnings are triggered when an exposure level exceeds a max IRE limit setting.
- Displays in 1024x600 a portion of a higher resolution image so to focus better.
- The pixel-to-pixel viewing area can be moved from one portion of an image to another.
- When not in pixel-to-pixel mode, a monitor must shrink an image down to its own resolution.
Blue-Gun / Monochrome
- Blue-gun and monochrome are two modes via which the VX9e can be calibrated.
- Blue-gun removes all colors but blue from an image, and monochrome all but black and white.
Side-by-Side Freeze Frame
- Splits the screen in half, showing a still in one half, a live scene in the other.
- The purpose of freeze frame is for the still to serve as a sample for the live side to replicate.
H/V Delay / Underscan / Image Flip / Safe Area Guides
- H/V delay helps examine the vertical and horizontal intervals of a video signal.
- Underscan shrinks an image to reveal its edges, useful for certain production controls.
- Image flip rotates an image for the VX9e to be mounted in various horizontal/vertical positions.
- Safe guides overlay 4:3 frames over 16:9 shots, and vice-versa, so both outcomes can be considered.