Blow Up 3 from Alien Skin Software is a plug-in that provides high quality image resizing with results that are superior to bicubic interpolation or any other third party solution. This version of Blow Up features an improvement in image quality, such that edges are made even sharper without artifacts introduced by the computer. While you can still run Blow Up with Photoshop, you can now also run it with Lightroom 2 or later and process photos by the batch. So you can work more efficiently, the interface has been simplified to include only what's necessary. Also for the sake of efficiency, Blow Up runs more quickly on both Mac and Windows computers.
Like the previous version, Blow Up 3 makes advanced image scaling easy, preserves smooth, crisp edges and lines, and creates four times (1600% area) enlargements from any image without jagged artifacts or halos. In some cases, Blow Up can enlarge up to six times (3600% area) without obvious artifacts.
Blow Up 3 includes advanced features such as photo grain controls, enlargement-specific sharpening, and controls for output sharpening where users can choose a medium (paper type or Web) so Blow Up sharpens just the right amount. It also supports most image modes, including CMYK. Blow Up also supports 16, 32 & 64-bit images and is optimized for multi-core and multi-processor systems. In addition, Blow Up 3 can be used to clean up overly compressed JPEG images minimizing or even eliminating the blocky effect seen in photos that have been taken off of the web.
Blow Up 3 features a batch process function, provides easy cropping with a crop to size tool, and has a Settings tab that lets you easily choose a standard output size and medium, such as 8x10 Inkjet Matte Paper. The interface allows you to preview your photos and provides zoom controls.
These features make Blow Up 3 perfect for a professional photographer creating gallery prints from digital photos, as well as an amateur photographer creating a poster from a favorite snapshot. Graphic designers can easily scale Web graphics up to print resolution or rescale everyday images for large format printing and outdoor advertising.
New to Blow Up
- Image Quality
- Edges are made even sharper without introducing artifacts from the computer
- Lightroom Support
- Blow Up 3 can be integrated with Lightroom 2 or later and supports batch processing. You do not need Photoshop to run Blow Up from Lightroom
- Blow Up's interface is deceptively simple. Just set your paper size as you would in Photoshop and optionally set a crop region
- Blow Up 3 now runs faster on both Macintosh and Windows computers
- Huge Images
- You can resize up to 300,000 pixels per side, the maximum Photoshop can handle. Of course, Photoshop would choke on a square image that big, but if you are making a billboard that Photoshop can handle, so can Blow Up
- Blow Up can handle CMYK images used in offset printing and 16-bit/channel images used by professional photographers
- Blow Up has presets for common paper sizes, including photo papers and standard US, European, and Japanese sizes
- Output Sharpening
- Just choose your paper type and Blow Up sharpens the right amount to compensate for ink diffusion