The AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR Lens from Nikon is a premium, fast telephoto prime lens for the Nikon autofocus system. It is designed for full frame DX format DSLRs and is also compatible with FX format cameras, providing a 600mm focal length equivalence on crop sensors. It is a very robust and durable lens, incorporating a magnesium die-cast barrel and professional-grade dust and moisture sealing for use in rugged situations.
This lens features the Nikon Vibration Reduction image stabilization system to reduce the blur caused by camera shake, enabling confident handheld telephoto shooting, even in low-light conditions. In addition, this lens offers Tripod Detection mode to reduce the vibration that may occur due to shutter release when mounted on a tripod.
An internal focus system and Nikon's Silent Wave Motor provides fast, precise and near-silent autofocus action and focus modes, including the A/M mode, enable fast switchover from auto to manual focus. Manual focus override allows immediate control over exacting focus with just a turn of the focus ring. Minimum focus distance is 9.5' and the focus memory recall function is supported.
The inclusion of three extra-low dispersion lens elements control chromatic aberration while enhancing color, contrast and sharpness and Nano Crystal lens coating and a meniscus protective glass element combine to reduce ghosting and flare. The durable lens barrel provides a wide, rubberized focus ring, a rotatable tripod/monopod collar and includes a drop-in filter holder, two piece lens hood and hard trunk case.
- Fast, telephoto lens with f/2.8 maximum aperture, optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both the Nikon FX- and DX-format image sensors. On DX sensor cameras, the 35mm focal length equivalence is 600mm.
- Nikon VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization engineered specifically for each VR NIKKOR lens, enables handheld shooting at up to 3 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper still images and video capture.
- Exclusive Nano Crystal Coat and a meniscus protective glass element combine to reduce ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity. In addition, Super Integrated lens coating controls distortion.
- Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and powerful, super-quiet operation.
- Rugged, reliable and lightweight, this lens features a magnesium die-cast barrel and professional-grade dust- and moisture-resistant construction.
- Three Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements control chromatic aberrations while enhancing color, sharpness and contrast, even at the widest aperture settings.
- New A/M focus mode provides fast, secure switching between auto and manual focus operation.