The ETX-90 AT 3.5"/90mm UHTC Catadioptric Telescope Kit from Meade is a handsome, compact instrument that's easy to transport and optically pleasant to view with. The telescope itself is less than 10 pounds. Its 3.5" aperture, Maksutov-Cassegrain optics, 1250 mm focal length and f/13.8 focal ratio make it bright enough to deliver satisfying celestial observation with clarity and detail. An entire online community of ETX-90 dedicated users exists, giving tips and sharing images.
The dual-fork altazimuth mount works with the AutoStar #497 controller to deliver GoTo ability for over 30,000 database entries. AutoStar Suite Planetarium Software for PCs allows total computer control of the mount and telescope. A Red-Dot viewfinder accelerates manual prospecting for celestial nuggets of gold. Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) with the included Super Plössl 26mm and Super Plössl 9.7mm eyepieces provide increased light transmission and superior optical performance.
An adjustable-height steel leg tripod provides solid support for the mount and scope while the slewing is powered by 6 user-supplied AA batteries or an AC power adapter. A protective carrying case is part of the package. This is a very popular entry level scope for a reason. No, make that a few reasons.
- Excellent Maksutov-Cassegrain optics in a very small, ultra-portable package
- Built-in flip mirror mechanism; viewing can be done from either 90° or straight through
- Autostar controller enables immediate access to its database of over 30,000 celestial objects
- Fast and easy alignment procedure; just roughly level scope, point roughly north, and center two bright stars in view
- Moon craters by the hundreds, cloud belts on Jupiter, and Saturn's rings are just the beginning of what can be seen with this telescope