The Chandler Limited Germ 500 MKII Pre Amp is a one-unit pre amplifier designed to be mounted in an API 500 Series-style lunchbox. The device's components were re-designed from the original rack version to work with API's lower-voltage power standards and connectivity requirements.
The pre amp features Germanium transistors in Class-A transformer-balanced circuits. The sonic benefits of Germanium transistors are that they exhibit the firm tonality of a solid-state circuit combined with the warm and smooth harmonic distortion characteristics of a tube.
The XLR microphone input, signal output, and power connections for this device are built into the lunchbox rack enclosure that the module plugs into. For direct input, the pre amp also includes a switchable 1/4" TRS instrument connection on the front panel.
- Gain/Germanium Drive Knob
- The front panel of the pre amp features a Gain/Germanium Drive knob in 3 dB increment steps. The Gain knob interacts with the Feedback knob to change the signal tonality. Driving the gain will accent the low frequency and provide a thicker-sounding tone
- Feedback Knob
- The front panel includes a Feedback knob that adds feedback to the signal. The feedback subsequently changes the total harmonic distortion, frequency response, and gain of the signal, adding color, thickness, and brightness to your tone
- Direct In/Unbalanced In
- The pre amp includes an unbalanced input jack for guitar, bass, and other instruments. A switch changes the input from a direct in to a microphone input
- Pad Button
- The device includes a Pad button which allows you to run Gain and Feedback controls close to the maximum to increase low-end response and add harmonic distortion
- Thick Button
- The device includes a Thick button which adds a low-frequency rise to the signal, making the tone warmer and rounder
- Phase Switch
- The Phase switch on the front panel of the pre amp reverses the polarity of the output
- Phantom Power
- The pre amp features a switch that supplies 48 V of phantom power
- The unit has been proven to work with the following racks: API 500V 10-slot with L200 PSU, API 500-6B Lunchbox, API 500-6B HC "new version" Lunchbox; BAE 11-slot with power one supply; BAE 6-slot portable with power one supply; BAE 6-slot with Avedis-designed supply; A-Designs 2-slot; Purple Sweet 10; and Empirical Labs 2-slot