The TerraStar 90 Altazimuth Refractor from Meade is an excellent entry level refractor telescope for the serious child astronomer. After planning the observing session with the AutoStar software, the red dot finderscope becomes a very helpful feature to locate the target. After focusing, the slow motion twist knobs control movement for both vertical and horizontal altazimuth slewing allowing tracking of the chosen celestial object as it moves across the celestial dome.
The Windows compatible, AutoStar Suite of software not only has a 10,000 plus database but also allows session planning and printing of customized star maps. An instructional video is included on the DVD so that setup time and the learning curve for use are minimized. A 90° diagonal allows long term viewing with less neck stress. Two MA (Modified Acromatic) eyepieces are a versatile addition. Start with the lower power 9mm and when the object is centered and the observer is ready for more detail, step up to the 25mm eyepiece. Don't worry about the wobbles. The heavy duty aluminum tripod will create a level, stable and steady platform for a quick look or long term viewing session. What a great way to be introduced to the wonders of the stellar heavens.
- Two Meade 1.25" eyepieces; MA9mm and MA25mm supply crisp light gathering versatility
- Both axes have slow motion controls making finding and staying on the selected object simple and precise
- A red dot projection viewfinder affords fast and intuitive first finding of chosen celestial and terrestrial targets
- Heavy-duty, height adjustable, full size, aluminum tripod with accessory tray supplies a stable, solid and steady viewing experience
- AutoStar Suite Astronomer Edition software and instructional DVD, accesses a database of over 10,000 celestial objects, prints out star maps and includes an observing session planner. It is compatible with any Windows-based PC