The Focusrite Control 2802 is a dual-layer, small-format console that is both an analog mixer and a DAW controller in one unit. The device lets you easily switch back and forth between the two layers, giving you flexibility to control your DAW and mix analog sources.
The mixer portion of the Control 2802 contains 8 channels, all equipped with transparent Class-A Focusrite mic preamps. Each of the 8 channel strips is equipped with numerous controls, including switchable 48V phantom power, polarity reverse, mic gain (+6 to 60 dB), a 75 Hz high-pass filter, knobs for the cue pan and level, 2 aux sends, a pan control, a channel mix bus assign button, and more. Each channel has a 100mm motorized fader that can be automated in either the analog or digital layer of the mixer (the Master Fader is manual). At the top of every channel strip is a 10-segment LED bar graph meter, which shows level and peak detection, and has a separate LED to indicate overloads.
The analog I/O is comprehensive. In addition to the mic inputs, there are 8 balanced line inputs, 8 balanced DAW inputs, and 8 assignable direct outputs, both on a DB25 connector. You also get inserts, aux sends, compressor in/out, and more. The Control 2802 also functions as a summing mixer, allowing you to run your digital DAW tracks through analog circuitry. There's even a 3.5 mm iJack input with its own gain control, for listening to audio from your portable music device.
The mixer has fully realized master section that includes a stereo mix-bus compressor with parallel compression. The punchy-sounding compressor can also be patched across other channels on the Control 2802. The monitoring section is stocked with controls, including a source control (choose between five different sources), headphone output control, on/off and level for the built-in talkback mic, and a lot more.
The Ethernet-based control layer is equipped with a jog/shuttle wheel, transport controls, a large number of function buttons, and 4 high-resolution OLED displays. It supports the HUI protocol, and also carries MIDI control data through the Ethernet cable. You can work independently within either the analog or digital layer, or switch back and forth. The control surface gives you tactile control of many of the functions of your DAW, and even lets you control plug-in parameters. The controller functions are fully supported in Apple Logic, Avid Pro Tools, and Steinberg Cubase and Nuendo.
Along with the mixer, Focusrite includes its Midnight Plug-In Suite, which features compressor and EQ plug-ins modeled from Focusrite's classic ISA 110 and 130 units.
- Transparent Class-A Microphone Preamplifiers
- Extra-high bandwidth, low-noise, discrete transistor preamps. Channel inserts and direct outputs from anywhere in the signal path gives you ultimate routing flexibility. Fully automatable in both analog and digital layers.
- Stereo Mix-Bus Compressor with Parallel Compression
- Powerful, punchy dynamic control with in-built parallel compression. Patchable across other channels, or extendable with external compressor connections.
- High-End Analog Summing Mixer
- Carefully crafted circuitry adds stunning analog magic to your mixes. Take creative control over your music with mixing at your fingertips and hear the benefits of an extended frequency range—super high bandwidth at over 120 kHz.
- 32 Inputs to Mix Within a Natural Analog Workflow.
- Eight analog channels, switchable between mic, line and DAW, plus 8 alternate inputs with gain and pan control. Eight summing inputs in 4 stereo pairs. Stereo FX and auxiliary returns. Main and DAW mix stereo returns.
- Fully Featured Master Section
- Unparalleled monitor control taken straight from a large studio console. Fully featured range of monitoring options, including numerous soloing choices, polarity inversion, and mono listening mode.
- Comprehensive Ethernet-Based DAW Control Layer
- Effortlessly navigate around your DAW from the console with Dual Layer Technology. Integrated control of plug-ins, auxiliaries, automation, and project navigation.
- Unrivalled Routing Options
- Easy analog patching lets you use the Focusrite Control 2802 to its fullest. A wealth of routing options offer myriad possibilities for your studio workflow, with six auxiliaries complementing the stereo mix bus.
- Motorized Alps Faders for Both Analogue and Digital Layers
- Super smooth and responsive motorized faders to give accurate mix control at your fingertips. Work independently within either, or both, layers.
- Dedicated Stereo Cue Bus
- Create and adjust headphone mixes quickly and easily with the dedicated stereo cue. Go pre or post fader, or select the alternative inputs to add 8 channels to your mix.
- Switchable 48V Phantom Power and Channel Input Options
- Use any microphone in any channel with switchable phantom power. Individual 6 to 60 dB gain, phase reverse, and high-pass buttons on each channel.
- High-Resolution OLED Displays
- Beautifully clear and bright displays give you feedback directly from your DAW and let you manage your channels without needing to leave the console.
- 10-LED Channel Meters
- Fast-acting 10-LED meters for the input or output of your analog channel strip, or your DAW returns.
- Robust, Well-Built Design
- Sturdy, ergonomic console that has the look and feel of a large studio desk.
- i-Jack Input
- 3.5mm stereo jack input with dedicated gain control. Compare mixes from your portable music device quickly and easily.