The GR-55 from Roland is a guitar synthesizer with features not available in other guitar processors. Guitars are not normally thought of as synthesizer controllers, but the company has been pursuing this concept for many years. When paired with a Roland GK-3 pickup, or other similar pickup (sold separately), any electric guitar can trigger the sounds of the tone module with imperceptible latency, a huge consideration when playing live. Pitch detection is also very accurate.
The triple-core generator houses an array of virtual guitars, basses, amplifiers, and synthesizer voices, delivered by two PCM synthesizers containing over 900 tones, along with COSM guitar modeling. Using the simple category buttons, the onboard ready-to-use presets (270, plus 297 user) can easily be auditioned, either on stage or in the studio.
The GR-55 connects the guitarist to desktop music production with two USB ports. The rear-panel port can be used for MIDI/audio data communication, while the side-panel port is dedicated to real-time playback of audio files from a USB memory device (sold separately). Foot control of USB audio playback is available, so that hands never need to leave the guitar.
- Fusion of guitar synthesis and powerful COSM guitar modeling
- Up to four sound sources at a time - two PCM synthesizer tones, plus COSM guitar modeling and normal guitar input
- Easy to use and easy to play with hundreds of great, ready-to-use sounds for rock or pop guitarists
- Advanced Roland technology provides superb sound quality and lightning-fast processing
- Over 900 of Roland's latest fully editable PCM sounds, including pianos, organs, strings, vintage synthesizers, and much more
- COSM guitar and amp modeling
- Two types of multi-effects engines, plus global reverb, chorus, and delay effects, and an onboard looper
- Built-in USB audio player with foot control