The Music Hall mmf-5.1se Special Edition Turntable is a significant upgrade over the standard mmf-5.1. The Special Edition includes upgrades to the following critical components: vibration damping system, cartridge, and plinth. The mmf-5.1se like the mmf-5.1 is a two speed, belt driven, audiophile turntable employing Music Hall's unique dual-plinth construction. The distinctive design isolates the key sound reproducing components: platter, main bearing, tone arm, and cartridge on the top platform from the motor, switch, wiring, and feet mounted on the bottom platform. Sorbothane orbs separate the two platforms and provide vibration damping. The mmf-5.1se comes complete with the Music Hall Mojo cartridge mounted. The Mojo is specially built by Ortofon for Music Hall.
- Split-Plinth Design
- The turntable incorporates Music Hall's original 2-plinth design. The plinth has three adjustable vibration dampening feet. A spirit level is incorporated on the top platform. On the top platform are the critical sound reproducing components: the bearing, arm, and cartridge. They're mounted on a real wood walnut veneer over medium density fiberboard. Meanwhile, the 2-speed, synchronous motor; switch; wiring; and electrical parts are on the bottom plinth.
- Sorbothane Isolation Orbs
- The synthetic material, Sorbothane, combines properties of rubber, silicone and elastic polymers so that it behaves like a quasi-liquid, making it an excellent vibration damping medium and acoustic insulator. The material is also very durable. The two platforms of the plinth are separated by four Sorbothane hemispheres, which act as a suspension and isolation system.
- The Platter
- The platter and felt mat sit on a high quality, stainless steel, ball bearing sheathed in Teflon providing fluid and noise-free operation. The bearing assembly comes pre-charged with lubricant. A metal, screw-on, record clamp is standard equipment as is the round spirit level.
- The Arm
- The effective length of the tone arm is 9 1/2". This allows for a very shallow tracking arc on the record, which reduces distortion. The tone arm comes mounted with a Goldring moving magnet cartridge. The diamond stylus is a Gyger-1 fine line-contact type, which provides increased resolution and ensures the maximum accuracy of musical reproduction.