The Joemeek sixQ2 Studio Channel is a single-rackspace, transformer-coupled mic preamp/channel strip with a wealth of studio features. An updated version of the original sixQ, it adds additional routing options, improved gain specs, and a high-end Cinemag transformer.
The sixQ2's preamp stage takes any mic or instrument source and amplifies it to the proper level for connection to a mixer or audio interface. By pressing the IRON switch, the line input can be routed through the transformer for a more colored sound. Having the line input makes it possible to send previously recorded tracks through the sixQ2 for processing.
You can adjust the amount of amplification using the Preamp Gain control. To control dynamics, turn on the optical compressor, which provides knobs for Compress (threshold), Slope (ratio), Attack, Release, and Make Up Gain. For tone shaping, press the EQ On button to switch in the 3-band "Meequalizer." It's equipped with sweepable low- and mid-frequency bands, and a high-frequency band that can be toggled between 6 and 12 kHz.
The Output Gain knob lets you adjust the level at the sixQ2's outputs. A 1/4" send-and-return jack makes it possible to patch an external processor into the signal chain between the compressor and the EQ.
Metering is provided via an 8-step LED bar graph that can be switched between displaying output and preamp levels. A separate display shows gain reduction. The Ø switch reverses the phase on all inputs.
The sixQ2 provides a comprehensive set of outputs. In the analog domain, you have a balanced XLR jack, and a 1/4" connector that can be switched between balanced (+4 dBU) and unbalanced (-10 dBv). Thanks to its built-in digital interface, the sixQ2 provides S/PDIF digital outputs on RCA and optical connectors.
- Ultra-clean microphone preamp equipped with a high-end Cinemag transformer
- Highly musical 3-Band EQ includes sweepable low and mid frequencies, and a selectable high-frequency band (6 or 12kHz)
- Full-featured optical compressor with settings from "silky" to "in your face!"
- Accurate LED metering for quick monitoring of level and gain reduction
- IRON switch sends the line input through the mic transformer to add coloration
- 24-Bit/96 kHz analog-to-digital converters feed the S/PDIF RCA and optical digital outputs
- Balanced and unbalanced I/O allow for proper connection with any system
- Front-panel instrument input lets you plug in high-impedance sources like guitars and basses