The Nikon 1 J1 Digital Camera with 10-30mm VR Zoom Lens Kit (White) is a highly compact and intuitive-to-use mirrorless digital camera. Included with the camera are a NIKKOR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens, a fitted camera case, and an 8GB SDHC memory card.
The mirrorless design of the J1 permits the use of several interchangeable NIKKOR lenses while retaining the benefits of small-form camera. This design also allows for generally faster performance, aided by the EXPEED 3 dual image processor, since there is no need for a mirror to move away from the sensor. This quickened performance improves a number of features, including advanced phase detection autofocus and high continuous shooting rates up to 60fps. The 10.1MP CMOS sensor lends itself to high quality imagery with noticeable sharpness and depth, and, when paired with Nikon's Active D-Lighting, simulates in-camera HDR imaging.
The J1 also supports full HD 1080i video at 60fps, as well as 1080/30p and 720/60p formats. You can even capture high-resolution still images during filming without interruption by just pressing the shutter button. Additionally, you can film in slow motion at frame rates as high as 400 and 1200fps. These overcranked speeds lend themselves to showcasing details that would otherwise be undetectable by the eye.
In addition to traditional still and movies, the J1 has also incorporated 2 unique imaging functions: Motion Snapshot and Smart Photo Selector. When you press the shutter in Motion Snapshot mode, both a still image as well as a short movie vignette will be captured. During playback, the movie will be played in 2.5x slow motion and incorporate the still image at the end. Smart Photo Selector helps to ensure you don't miss the key moment with fast-moving subjects. When working in this mode, each time you release the shutter the camera will take 20 images at 30fps and then automatically select the best image of the bunch.
- Fast Performance
- The Nikon 1 J1 is a compact camera designed for speed in regard to simplicity of use and overall performance. Aided by the EXPEED 3 dual image processor, this camera is able to capture 10fps in full AF mode and up to 60fps in fixed focus. The image processor also enables an incredibly quick phase detection autofocus system features 73 focus points for increased accuracy and performance.
- High Quality Imagery
- The 10.1MP CMOS sensor lends itself to high quality imagery with noticeable sharpness and depth, and, when paired with Nikon's Active D-Lighting, simulates in-camera HDR imaging. Active D-Lighting helps to suppress overexposed highlights and underexposed shadows, resulting in an image with a greater range of tones and balance. Aside from straight imagery, the J1 also incorporates 6 different image effects called Picture Control. The included effects are Vivid, Monochrome, Neutral, Standard, Landscape, and Portrait.
- Full HD Movie Recording
- In addition to rich still imagery, the J1 is capable of recording in 1080/60i and 30p as well as 720/60p. Making further use of the high speed capabilities, this camera is also able to capture slow motion video at either 400fps or 1200fps. When filming at these overcranked speeds, images gain a sense of prominence that is impossible to see at normal speeds.
- Motion Snapshot
- Motion Snapshot is a unique mode that combines both a high resolution still image and a short movie vignette into one file. After you depress the shutter button, you record a brief movie that is punctuated with a still from the recording at the end. Playback is 2.5x slower than real time for enhanced creative possibilities.
- Smart Photo Selector
- When photographing fast-moving subjects, Smart Photo Selector can be employed to record 20 individual frames at 30fps by pressing the shutter once. These 20 frames provide a wider range of chances for a highly successful image. The camera automatically edits down from this bulk of images, providing you with the best imagery in consideration to smiles, blinks, and how motion is depicted.
- Design Features
- The J1 incorporates a large 3.0" 460K-dot LCD for review and playback of stills and movies. This monitor features an anti-glare coating for increased visibility, even in bright sunlight. The built-in, on-camera flash utilizes i-TTL technology for exposure accuracy and has a 16.4' / 5m guide number at ISO 100. Overall, the camera is laid out in a plain, simplistic manner for incredibly intuitive use, allowing for a shallow learning curve and more time spent making images.
- 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens
- The included lens has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-81mm, making it an ideal standard lens ranging from wide to portrait lengths. This lens features VR (Vibration Reduction) for sharper imagery when photographing at longer focal lengths and in dim lighting situations. It is also capable of focusing as closely as 7.9" / 20cm for macro imaging possibilities.
- Included Kit Components
- Bundled with the camera and lens are a matching case and 8GB SDHC memory card. The case is specifically suited for the J1 and offers stylish protection and portability options for your investment. The memory card has sufficient storage space for a large amount of images or movies and features speedy transfer rates to coincide with the camera's quick performance.