The Blackmagic Design HyperDeck Studio Pro is a file-based deck that records uncompressed in QuickTime and compressed in ProRes and DNxHD, storing the files onto two 2.5" SSDs. Two SSD slots are available and allow continuous recording--the second disk automatically begins recording when the first becomes full. The disks can afterwards be hooked up to a computer by USB.
A diverse set of connections consists of 3G SDI, component, HDMI, XLR, RCA, Thunderbolt, USB and RS422. SD, HD, and 2K formats are supported, and capacity is additionally available for 4K playback from an SSD in ProRes. Color options are SD and HD 10-bit 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. Recording in 4:2:2 uncompressed offers higher dynamic range and thus more precision in color correction. Alternatively, recording in compressed ProRes or DNxHD allows five times longer recording and all the same maintains 10-bit color and full frame 1920 x 1080 sampling.
The panel controls and overall functionality of the HyperDeck Studio Pro are very similar to those of traditional tape decks. The transport buttons are illuminated crystal; a jog/shuttle wheel is available; and an integrated LCD displays timecode and transport information, full color thumbnail previews of the clips being recorded or played back, and also format, frame rate, and audio levels.
- File-Based VTR Functionality
- SD/HD 10-bit 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 color depth
- Records 10-bit uncompressed in QuickTime
- Records 10-bit compressed in ProRes / DNxHD
- Stores to 2 SSDs; switches to the 2nd when 1st is full
- In/out: 3G SDI, component, HDMI, XLR, RCA, Thunderbolt
- SD, HD, and 2K support, and 4K playback from an SSD in ProRes
- LCD displays timecode, format, frame rate, audio levels, transport info, and thumbnail clip previews